2017 LC - 285/65/18 KO2 rub with spacers? Alignment needed? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Decided to move forward with new tires this week, deciding between the 285/60/18 and the 285/65/18 KO2's. The 60 tire is D rated (8-ply) and sounds like the correct PSI is 46; the 65 tire is E rated (10-ply) and the correct PSI is 42. The additional tire pressure may result in the ride being about the same, so leaning towards the 285/65.

Based on the tire database, it seems most entries for the 285/65/18 indicate no rubbing at all, but then reading through certain threads on the forum indicate some folks had rubbing - but I think most of those were using wheels spacers. Perhaps when moving the wheels outward, the tires were in a position to rub somewhere? Anyways, I'm not planning to use spacers so hopefully i should be ok. I'd imagine if i did have an issue with the 285/65 within the first couple of weeks, then discount tire would be fine replacing with the 285/60 version.

If anyone has a stock setup with 285/65/18 and had rubbing, please let me know.

Also, my car's alignment on the stock dunlops is fine currently. With the move up to a 285/65, would an alignment be needed?

Decided to move forward with new tires this week, deciding between the 285/60/18 and the 285/65/18 KO2's. The 60 tire is D rated (8-ply) and sounds like the correct PSI is 46; the 65 tire is E rated (10-ply) and the correct PSI is 42. The additional tire pressure may result in the ride being about the same, so leaning towards the 285/65.

Just to confirm:

The LT285/60R18/D 118/115S on your LC200 has a RCTIP of 46psi F/R

The LT285/65R18/E 125/122R on your LC200 has a RCTIP of 42psi F/R

HTH

Interestingly, here is the response I received from BFG when I inquired about tire pressure on the 285/65 tire. Seems they went through a similar calculation but came to a 40 psi conclusion?

“After doing a P-series to LT-series conversion for pressure , the recommended tire pressure for your LT 285/65R18 KO2 tires would be 40 psi. This conversion was done by taking the load capacity of the OE air pressure for the P-series tire and dividing that number by 1.1. That provided us with the new load capacity for your LT size which in return gives us the recommended pressure to support that weight.”

Interestingly, here is the response I received from BFG when I inquired about tire pressure on the 285/65 tire. Seems they went through a similar calculation but came to a 40 psi conclusion?

“After doing a P-series to LT-series conversion for pressure , the recommended tire pressure for your LT 285/65R18 KO2 tires would be 40 psi. This conversion was done by taking the load capacity of the OE air pressure for the P-series tire and dividing that number by 1.1. That provided us with the new load capacity for your LT size which in return gives us the recommended pressure to support that weight.”

What they didn't tell you is they only report in 5psi increments. In their eyes, 40psi is closer than 45psi, so 40psi it is.

The correct RCTIP for the LT285/65R18 KO2's on a LC200 is 42psi F/R.

You do not have an LX570, right?

HTH

Here's how to put your mind to rest once and for all - do the math yourself.

Refer to these tables: TRA (Toyo) Load Inflation Tables

Your stock tire is P285/60R18 @33psi, right?

Look on page 18 of my link and you will find that 33psi is between 32psi (2469 lbs) and 35psi (2601 lbs). 2601 - 2469 = 132 / 3 = 44 lbs per psi. Add one psi to the 32psi value and you get 2469 + 44 = 2513 lbs. This is the Load Limit for your stock P-Metric tires.

Divide 2513 by 1.1 to convert P-Metric to LT-Metric and you get 2513 / 1.1 = 2284.5 call it 2285 lbs. This is the required Load Limit for your new LT-Metric LT285/65R18 KO2's.

Look on page 23 of my link for the Load Limit for the LT285/65R18 (single) tires and you will find the required Load Limit of 2285lbs between 40psi (2235lbs) and 45psi (2425lbs). 2425 - 2235 = 38 lbs per psi. Add two psi (2 x 38) to the 40psi value and you get 2235 + 76 = 2311lbs. This is the first even psi value above the required 2285 lbs.

So, the RCTIP for the LT285/65R18 KO2's on your LC200 is 42psi F/R.

BFG's recommended 40psi only yields a Load Limit of 2235lbs which is lower than the required 2285lbs.

Or maybe BFG just can't do math...

HTH

Based on the tire database, it seems most entries for the 285/65/18 indicate no rubbing at all, but then reading through certain threads on the forum indicate some folks had rubbing - but I think most of those were using wheels spacers. Perhaps when moving the wheels outward, the tires were in a position to rub somewhere? Anyways, I'm not planning to use spacers so hopefully i should be ok. I'd imagine if i did have an issue with the 285/65 within the first couple of weeks, then discount tire would be fine replacing with the 285/60 version.

If anyone has a stock setup with 285/65/18 and had rubbing, please let me know.

Also, my car's alignment on the stock dunlops is fine currently. With the move up to a 285/65, would an alignment be needed?

See the last pic in this post for an idea of why people rub with LT285/65R18 KO2s on spacers.

Shouldn't need an alignment.

Note that the 285/65 is a big, heavy tire. If I remember correctly your combined tire wheel/weight will be close to 90# per corner, compared to about 70 for stock. Even with the lower cold inflation pressure it will significantly impact ride quality. Some guys like the feel, I didn't. This was a big reason I moved on to 17" rock warriors and P-metric tires for them.. much lighter, and similar pressures to stock.

Thanks, I actually had them installed this week and was surprised that the tire noise on the KO2 wasn’t much different than OEM. The ride was slightly firmer as expected, but not harsh by any means.

But the problem I’m having now is the car pulling to the right. Was straight as an arrow on the previous tires. I’ve had the alignment checked and still pulls to the right. May be a defective tire?

Make sure they actually put the same size on..

My original set of 285/65s had one 275/70 installed. Didn't catch it for 1000 miles. I know stuff like that is rare but it happens.

As for the pull.. did they give you the printout? sometimes "in spec" still isn't good enough.. or they don't even know they can adjust certain things like caster, which may not be adjustable on other toyotas.

But yes KO2s are very quiet when new. They will get loud as they wear out.. but at first it is amazing. Definitely quieter than my current Open Country ATIIs in P-metric.

I have the BF Goodrich T/A KO2s in 285/65/R18 on stock wheels with no rubbing or any issues. While it's a slightly stiffer ride, I like it and have noticed no road noise or alignment issues. But, I did go from a 2013 Land Rover LR4 that was heavily modified and sounded terrible on the highway. The LC200 is dead quiet compared with that vehicle! :)

Thanks, good luck so far on mine as well (no rubbing). I had discount tire swap out the set this morning due to remaining vibrations and difficulty aligning. Must’ve been a defective tire (or 2), the new set balanced perfectly and tracks straight, so all is good now.

With tires this big/heavy I've been requesting (sometimes just short of demanding) that they road-force balance right from the beginning. They can balance up well but be slightly out of round and then you'll be chasing issues. Road-force finds these issues immediately.

That said.. the tire guys couldn't believe how in-round my KO2s were.. they said it's very rare for a tire that big, and to me a good sign of how high quality these tires are.

I also had them do the road force balancing - that's vital for these tires!

With tires this big/heavy I've been requesting (sometimes just short of demanding) that they road-force balance right from the beginning. They can balance up well but be slightly out of round and then you'll be chasing issues. Road-force finds these issues immediately.
That said.. the tire guys couldn't believe how in-round my KO2s were.. they said it's very rare for a tire that big, and to me a good sign of how high quality these tires are.

Agree, I believe all discount tires have road force balancing these days. I also think you need an experienced tech to run the machine as I’m not sure it’s fool proof.

Thanks, I actually had them installed this week and was surprised that the tire noise on the KO2 wasn’t much different than OEM. The ride was slightly firmer as expected, but not harsh by any means.

But the problem I’m having now is the car pulling to the right. Was straight as an arrow on the previous tires. I’ve had the alignment checked and still pulls to the right. May be a defective tire?
I know this is an old thread but curious if you ended up doing 285/65r18 on stock wheels with spacers? Any issues? Already have the tires but considering adding spacers.

I have Nittos Ridge Grapplers 285/65R18 with 1.25 spidertrax spacers. There is a tiny amount of rub to the mud flaps. I could remove the flaps, but I will simply apply some heat later on to adjust them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom