2017 Land Cruiser - Transmission Needs Replaced (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello,

I've been reading this forum for quite some time before making a purchase. Two weeks ago I took delivery of a 2017 Land Cruiser. Three days ago multiple warning lights illuminated while I was driving and I took it into the dealer. Yesterday afternoon I received a call stating they are ordering a new transmission.

I'm curious to know if anyone else has experienced an issue like this. I'm obviously disappointed as one of the main reasons I bought the vehicle was its' reliability and I intend on keeping it for many years.

I don't like the thought of having the transmission replaced on a two week old vehicle with 750 miles on it!

This forum seems like the most knowledgeable gathering of people regarding this vehicle so I figured I would start here in looking for recommendations as what to do next!

Thank you.

Hello,

I've been reading this forum for quite some time before making a purchase. Two weeks ago I took delivery of a 2017 Land Cruiser. Three days ago multiple warning lights illuminated while I was driving and I took it into the dealer. Yesterday afternoon I received a call stating they are ordering a new transmission.

I'm curious to know if anyone else has experienced an issue like this. I'm obviously disappointed as one of the main reasons I bought the vehicle was its' reliability and I intend on keeping it for many years.

I don't like the thought of having the transmission replaced on a two week old vehicle with 750 miles on it!

This forum seems like the most knowledgeable gathering of people regarding this vehicle so I figured I would start here in looking for recommendations as what to do next!

Thank you.

That is **unprecedented** as far as i know!!

I'd be asking for a replacement LC...

What did they say happened???

That sucks man. You've got a lot of power in this situation however. Not knowing what "legal" stuff goes on in these situations, you could probably get the dealer to twist off on an extended warranty as a good will gesture. Keep us posted.

I'd confirm the need for an all new tranny with another dealer if possible. I've been around land cruisers for close to 35 years and can't say I've heard of a new tranny being needed at such low mileage at least with the 60,80 and 100 series. Keep us posted.

Your choices seem to be to ignore the condition, have the dealership trip to tear it apart and rebuild it under a tree behind the dealership or have a new one installed for free.

Yep, a brand new tranny that may not have been tested enough. A "let the customers do the testing" mentality.

Or, maybe just a single failure caused by some unknown source and this failure may not ever be repeated on any other LC.

Hoping for the second scenario.....

I'd be on the phone with Toyota and letting them know it is unacceptable for a two week old, $85,000 car to need to start ownership with a MASSIVE shop project.

IMHO, they should be offering a new replacement. Kinda surprised they didn't offer that.

Although situations like this are extremely rare with Toyota, anything can and will be defective given a large enough sample size. It doesn't mean LC are not reliable or their QC has gone down hill or any other form of hyperbole. I'm sure it was inconvenient and you are frustrated by the situation but it doesn't mean the vehicle is a lemon or that it will in some way be deficient once repaired. Personally, I'd be happy they are replacing it with a brand new one vs ripping in to it and attempting to fix what ever failed. It sounds like they are doing the right thing by replacing it.

Read the original post 3 times. Seems odd. Would like to hear more details on the failed tranny. Agree with a new replacement from Toyota if true.

This is surprising, to say the least. Toyota's pre-production testing-particularly with their flagship vehicle-is extensive to say the least.

Let us know when you find out more.

I think y'all are blowing this way out of proportion. It doesn't sound like the transmission blew up and left him stranded. Sounds like a dtc popped up and the engineers wanted to look deeper into it.

I'm not really suprised, things happen sometimes and this is actually what you want if a part is going to fail. Very soon with a complete replacement. Toyota's strategy is to slowly upgrade parts unlike others that just make a whole new car all at once. The 8-speed is new and untested. @ton504 is right, nothing was catostrophic, there was a code issue and engineers want it, tranny was probably having a slow shift cycle or sensor was reading something out of margins.

It's going to have one bad egg, and let's not forget that cruisers in Australia are still getting 6-speeds. Because those guys are the ones who really can't afford to have a failure. US with our smooth roads and dealerships everywhere, and we think more gears are better, is the only reason we got a new tranny.

The 8-speed didn't help fuel economy or power to the ground (diff ratios went from a 3.90 to a 3.08 but the top gear stayed the same, which is going to be hell with the smallest increase in tire size or reduced aerodynamics from a bumper or lift)

So don't worry one bit, something obviously went wrong and they will replace it and you will have 25 years of reliable service. Besides lemon laws won't help you (yet).

Last edited:
I can't imagine Toyota would put an "untested" tranny in their top tier truck. If that's the case whose to say the replacement will be any better ?

I can't imagine Toyota would put an "untested" tranny in their top tier truck. If that's the case whose to say the replacement will be any better ?

Very good point, and i agree with you that the land cruiser should get the best, and I'm sure they did extensive lab and test vehicle evaluations. But, I feel the 8-speed was put in purely because a 6-speed isn't "prestigious enough" by the masses. Reviews by auto magazines and customers were the land cruiser cost so much but a Silverado has more gears, which more is better right?

No, and Toyota knows it, but when competing with Range Rovers, that why you see the new refresh with big rear screens, LEDs, 8-speed and a cleaner interior. The 5.7 with 6speed had a year of testing in the Tundra before the 200 was released. But now the US land cruiser is going to take the hit for the new transmission and other countries will get it when its proven itself along with the next generation tundra, sequoia, and land cruiser.

Will the replacement be fine, well how many '16 and '17s are fine, all but one we know of, sounds like good odds to me.

Last edited:
You are the 4th 8 speed tranny replacement I heard of.

Two on club Lexus has had their lx570 8 speed trans replaced

My dad had his 2016lx570 trans replaced at 1800 miles. At 5400 miles it acted up again, and he ended up lemoning it. It was his 9th new Lexus and he is done. Moved on

My lx570 2016, mall cruiser, so far has been fine after 6109 miles

I went with 6MT on my TRD PRO Tacoma , due to the huge number of transmission problems on Tacoma world in the new tacomas

I went to the dealership and was able to talk to the shop foreman. He explained that their diagnostics found the torque converter clutch solenoid had failed. They called Toyota asking if they really should tear the transmission apart to replace that solenoid. Toyota told them not to and they would be sending a new transmission. I'm not knowledgeable about any of this, does it sound correct?

There was another issue I'd asked them to look at but understandably their main concern thus far was the transmission. When shifting to drive and correcting the wheel after reversing (in either direction) I would hear a spring noise bouncing underneath the drivers floorboard. It sounds exactly like a spring that bound up then popped loose and is bouncing around, think "boooiinngggg". You can feel the spring hitting the underside of the drivers floorboard. When this happens the traction control light would briefly flash on/off. It happened 10 times since I got the truck. All different times of day, and always after shifting to drive from reverse and below 5-10 mph. Any ideas?

Thanks for all the help thus far!

I went to the dealership and was able to talk to the shop foreman. He explained that their diagnostics found the torque converter clutch solenoid had failed. They called Toyota asking if they really should tear the transmission apart to replace that solenoid. Toyota told them not to and they would be sending a new transmission. I'm not knowledgeable about any of this, does it sound correct?

There was another issue I'd asked them to look at but understandably their main concern thus far was the transmission. When shifting to drive and correcting the wheel after reversing (in either direction) I would hear a spring noise bouncing underneath the drivers floorboard. It sounds exactly like a spring that bound up then popped loose and is bouncing around, think "boooiinngggg". You can feel the spring hitting the underside of the drivers floorboard. When this happens the traction control light would briefly flash on/off. It happened 10 times since I got the truck. All different times of day, and always after shifting to drive from reverse and below 5-10 mph. Any ideas?

Thanks for all the help thus far!

Makes me wonder if Toyota knows there is a deeper issue, and has decided they will simply provide new transmissions whenever it begins to manifest itself. Also makes me think they have resolved whatever that issue is in the new transmission they'll send. Last thought is... -I wonder if it's really just the solenoid...or if that is just the item that "reports itself" where there actually might be a more complex issue.

Some of the mechanical gurus here will have a more educated take on it (I just know I am no mechanical guru!!).

I DO have faith in Toyota making it right in the end.

These mid generation changes and lack of field testing is exactly why things like this happen. This is what happens when decisons are made by businessmen and not engineerss.

The 6 speed was driven around the world for 5 years in a demo 200 before being released. I doubt the 8 speed went through any rigorous testing.
Makes me wonder if Toyota knows there is a deeper issue, and has decided they will simply provide new transmissions whenever it begins to manifest itself. Also makes me think they have resolved whatever that issue is in the new transmission they'll send. Last thought is... -I wonder if it's really just the solenoid...or if that is just the item that "reports itself" where there actually might be a more complex issue.

Some of the mechanical gurus here will have a more educated take on it (I just know I am no mechanical guru!!).

I DO have faith in Toyota making it right in the end.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom