2016 8-speed transmission toast at 121K (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

EP1

Threads
I felt an incredibly hard shift recently (only once) and scheduled an appt. at Toyota to make sure transmission was OK. A few hours later they came back and said I need a new transmission. Fluid has a bunch of metal and tech could hear gears grinding. Luckily I added a powertrain warranty when I bought used at 59K so it won’t cost me $7300. This was not a CPO as there was a national hold on selling CPO’s due to a recall at the time of purchase, Feb 2019.

I live in mountains and tow about 1000 miles per year. I had all fluids changed at 100K so trans fluid wasn’t that old.

Anyway, it’s going to take about a month to replace and I am seriously considering selling after the repairs are complete. It’s in great shape otherwise. Just an FYI to owners with the 8-speed.

I had a very similar thing happen last night, taking my dad home to his house. There's a right hand turn on their street that's on a pretty good slope. As I made the turn, the transmission seemed to slip and then re-engage, felt like a very hard shift. I've got 73k (ish) on my 2016 LC, never happened before and drove fine home afterwards

I'm going to keep an eye on mine and this thread.

I felt an incredibly hard shift recently (only once) and scheduled an appt. at Toyota to make sure transmission was OK. A few hours later they came back and said I need a new transmission. Fluid has a bunch of metal and tech could hear gears grinding. Luckily I added a powertrain warranty when I bought used at 59K so it won’t cost me $7300. This was not a CPO as there was a national hold on selling CPO’s due to a recall at the time of purchase, Feb 2019.

I live in mountains and tow about 1000 miles per year. I had all fluids changed at 100K so trans fluid wasn’t that old.

Anyway, it’s going to take about a month to replace and I am seriously considering selling after the repairs are complete. It’s in great shape otherwise. Just an FYI to owners with the 8-speed.

Living in mountain terrain and towing 1000 miles every year (in mountains?) , you may have pushed the limits of the original factory transmission fluid. When towing, it is always better to change the transmission fluid atleast 25k miles if not even more frequently.
One thing you didn't mention is what were you towing for that 1000 miles? An trailer which is close to max towing limit (8000lbs) ?

I had a very similar thing happen last night, taking my dad home to his house. There's a right hand turn on their street that's on a pretty good slope. As I made the turn, the transmission seemed to slip and then re-engage, felt like a very hard shift. I've got 73k (ish) on my 2016 LC, never happened before and drove fine home afterwards

I'm going to keep an eye on mine and this thread.
Please get your transmission fluid check immediately if you want to extend your transmission life. Most of the issues can be resolved by checking and replacing transmission fluid when it get dark (burnt) or low level of fluid. It is better you do this now rather than wait for it to get worst and then the shop tell you that you need a new transmission.

Living in mountain terrain and towing 1000 miles every year (in mountains?) , you may have pushed the limits of the original factory transmission fluid. When towing, it is always better to change the transmission fluid atleast 25k miles if not even more frequently.
One thing you didn't mention is what were you towing for that 1000 miles? An trailer which is close to max towing limit (8000lbs) ?
My camper is max loaded 4500# so not too heavy. Lesson learned on more frequent fluid changes. Thing is, I towed the same camper with my 4th gen T4R (V8) and never had issues. A friend has it today with 250K, running strong.

I’ve got 133k on my truck and tow a 6000# trailer somewhere between 5k and 8k miles per year since I bought it with 49k on the clock. Transmission fluid changes every 30k. I only have the 6 speed though.

I’m always suspect when a dealer says you need a new transmission. Even if something did go, I find it hard to believe it’s not repairable. One guy on the forum had a dealer quote a whole new transmission but he ended up spending about $900 on just a valve body instead.

If something went most likely it’s bad luck. I don’t think you did anything wrong unless you seriously abused your setup. The transmission is designed to handle much much more weight and heat and abuse than you described

Unless you lost gears and such, I would want a second opinion. X2 that it might just be Toyota pulling a fast one, even though you have a warranty. But whatever, you get a new trans for pennies on whatever you were to pay and I'd be happy with it.

Interesting this thread popped up. 2018, 47K miles. Just had the tyranny fluid flushed/replaced w Amsoil WS.

Never encountered before but couple weeks ago, was rolling/braking up to a stop light, maybe 3-5 mph, coasting then hit the gas when it turned green, car shifted REALLY hard to the point it felt like someone hit us from behind. Hasn’t happened since. Going to have it checked out but I wonder if it’s the slip yoke.

Interesting this thread popped up. 2018, 47K miles. Just had the tyranny fluid flushed/replaced w Amsoil WS.

Never encountered before but couple weeks ago, was rolling/braking up to a stop light, maybe 3-5 mph, coasting then hit the gas when it turned green, car shifted REALLY hard to the point it felt like someone hit us from behind. Hasn’t happened since. Going to have it checked out but I wonder if it’s the slip yoke.
That happens. Sounds a bit harsh but yes sometimes if the transmission decides to drop down into 1st on a rolling stop and you hit the gas at the same time it’ll kinda react like that. There is a TSB for the 8 speed which I think makes this a bit better

I had ATLR (Toyota shop) near Denver do the work. They are reputable.
Any chance of getting them to give you a second opinion? Like others, I wonder about the failure diagnosis, especially if the dealer didn't know about the powertrain warranty before the diagnosis. It's hard to believe that there's metal and gear grinding noises with the unit still working. One hard shift is the only symptom you had?

Last edited:
1% chance that extended "warranty" is going to cover anything...

How long ago was fluid changed? Would not be surprised if the dealer did something wrong with the transmission fluid exchange. Reputable does not equal competence.

Dealers are NOTORIOUS for absolutely killing Land Cruisers.

I’ve got 133k on my truck and tow a 6000# trailer somewhere between 5k and 8k miles per year since I bought it with 49k on the clock. Transmission fluid changes every 30k. I only have the 6 speed though.

Is that a full exchange or drain/fill?

1% chance that extended "warranty" is going to cover anything...
Winner winner. Couldn’t be more right. Just got a call from the dealer and they literally said “your transmission is going to fail but it not bad enough that it’s a warranty repair yet.”

Winner winner. Couldn’t be more right. Just got a call from the dealer and they literally said “your transmission is going to fail but it not bad enough that it’s a warranty repair yet.”
Trade or sell

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom