2014 GX and newer rear bumper (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
From my research we have three choices of rear bumpers, Metal Tech, Dobinsons and Kaymar.

I really like the Kaymar but the cost is rather pricey and is increasing tomorrow which doesn't make sense since the dollar is killing the Australian dollar . The Metal Tech is big and bulky. The Dobisons is an unknown, light weight? Both Dobisons and Kaymar have crap for pictures of the bumper structure and no recovery points. I have seen the Metal Tech in person and I'm just not a fan.

Am I missing a brand? I very much like the CBI Bushmaster II I had on my first gen Taco and would love to have something similar.

If you have first hand experience with the Dobisons and Kaymar please share and detailed pictures if possible.

The Metal Tech bumper uses extremely thin metal and like yourself OP I am not a fan of the looks. Kaymar is probably the best option currently available, but I agree it is already over priced and with the AUD at 40% less value than the USD it makes zero sense for there to be a price increase. The Dobinsons is similar in design to the Kaymar but there is very little out there about it and I am not a fan of how the spare sits extremely far to the right of the vehicle. If you are running a 32-33" or larger spare it will actually stick out past the side of the vehicle, I don't like that.

The Coastal Off-Road DIY bumper isn't all that bad and I actually like the overall design but I am not a fan of the hinge design. A few 5th Gen guys have had failures with theirs but ultimately improved upon it when they repaired them. You think you would save some money with this bumper but unless you weld it up yourself and skip powder coat you will have $2K+ in that bumper when it is all said and done with freight and likely closer to $3K if you choose aluminum. The economics behind it make it unappealing considering the fact that you must assemble it and accept a more rudimentary design for similar money, ymmv.

Word on the street is that 4x4Labs and C4 are planning on offering rear bumpers. I spoke with Luke at 4x4Labs and he confirmed this but doesn't have a hard timeline. He mentioned it would be very similar to the 5th Gen 4Runner rear bumper they currently offer which makes sense. I have no confirmation of C4 actually coming out with something, this is just a rumor I heard on another forum.

I am doing my best to hold off in hopes of something better hitting the market, but I am not sure how long I can deal with a full size spare lying around in my cargo area taking up space and unsecured. You can always grab a 5th Gen rear bumper and attempt to modify it for use on the 460 like some have done, but reports are that it never fits quite right and often times you give up more clearance than what is acceptable. I have considered taking a stab at the Shrockworks 5th Gen rear, but again it would be an experiment and one that is hard to reverse course on.

Last edited:
*Update

C4 (Kylie) didn't deny the fact that they will be working on a rear bumper for the 460, but she assured me that it wouldn't be coming in the next few months. She did confirm that they are currently working on a hybrid front and and full front bumper for the 460 so that's exciting news.

@wardharris

International shipping cost has gone up dramatically so that's probably the reason for the price increase. Also remember that currently shelved inventory could have been built months ago before the AUD tanked.

I looked at all the options and the Kaymar was there only one out there that didn't completely screw up the look of the truck and I knew was the quality I wanted.

Both Dobisons and Kaymar have crap for pictures of the bumper structure and no recovery points. I have seen the Metal Tech in person and I'm just not a fan.
I wouldn't worry too much about recovery points, just bolt this into your receiver: Amazon product ASIN B072V6V352I have one on both my rig (with my Metal Tech bumper) and my wife's 4x4 Taco. I keep it on both rigs all the time and have had to use it couple times. Works great!
Regarding the Metal Tech rear bumper, I don't mind the style, although I wouldn't mind a little more departure angle and ideally being made of aluminum, but here's the good and bad:
Good:
  • When the swing-out is open, there is a huge step (almost a foot deep!). I've fount this to work like a tail gate (which we don't have). I love it!! One can sit on it, use it as a workbench or prepping food, of course a step for roof access, a rest before the final grunt on lifting something big and heavy into the rear deck, etc. I put rubberized traction tape over it so it's not abrasive to sit on but gives traction when standing.
  • I'm not a fan of dual swing-outs. Just more work to get to the rear door. So, for me I like the single swing-out.
  • I like being able to carry a lot of gear on it. e.g.: large ammo can with recovery gear in one of the jerry racks, water in the the other. Hi-Lift, made a simple attachment for MaxTrax and finally, least we forget the spare tire: LT285/75R17.
  • Shackles, 2x
  • Rear receiver
Bad:
  • Thin metal. Got caught up on some huge boulders of a "gate keeper" section on a trail and it did tweak my rear bumper a bit. Still functional and to 99% of the people who look at it, they would never notice it. I just chalk it up to battle scars. But I would prefer a heaver gauge material (either thicker or higher strength metal or aluminum of a proper gauge).
  • The swing-out does not align perfectly with the De-Sta-Co clamp when closing. I have to give it just a little lift to nest in there. I can just slam it, but I don't like being hard on my gear. When close, it clamps fine.
  • I have already sheared off the locking pin that is by the swing-out hinge. Note, it will hold the swing-out in place when open, but don't let it fly out or put a lot of strain on it, it will shear off. Metal Tech was kind enough to send me another one, no charge. :)
  • This may be a personal thing, but I'd like the spare and jerry can racks to be mounted lower on the bumper for a couple of reasons: a) more rear visibility, not blocking so much of the rear window. b) lower CG. (although with my roof top tent and all this may be a mute point :meh:)
  • The little "gas shock" for containing speed of the swing-out on a hill is useless. I can't feel a thing with it. I always keep a hand on the swing-out when opening and closing to ensure it doesn't slam in or out. With all that weight, that wee gas shock should be WAY beefier.
So, that's my 2 cents worth. Okay, it may be more like 2 bits...

I hope it's true 4x4labs and C4 are working on 460 bumpers, they seem like quality. I love the C4 bumper design on the 4r and if it looks anything like that for the 460 that's a sure buy for me

I wouldn't worry too much about recovery points, just bolt this into your receiver: Amazon product ASIN B072V6V352I have one on both my rig (with my Metal Tech bumper) and my wife's 4x4 Taco. I keep it on both rigs all the time and have had to use it couple times. Works great!
Regarding the Metal Tech rear bumper, I don't mind the style, although I wouldn't mind a little more departure angle and ideally being made of aluminum, but here's the good and bad:
Good:
  • When the swing-out is open, there is a huge step (almost a foot deep!). I've fount this to work like a tail gate (which we don't have). I love it!! One can sit on it, use it as a workbench or prepping food, of course a step for roof access, a rest before the final grunt on lifting something big and heavy into the rear deck, etc. I put rubberized traction tape over it so it's not abrasive to sit on but gives traction when standing.
  • I'm not a fan of dual swing-outs. Just more work to get to the rear door. So, for me I like the single swing-out.
  • I like being able to carry a lot of gear on it. e.g.: large ammo can with recovery gear in one of the jerry racks, water in the the other. Hi-Lift, made a simple attachment for MaxTrax and finally, least we forget the spare tire: LT285/75R17.
  • Shackles, 2x
  • Rear receiver
Bad:
  • Thin metal. Got caught up on some huge boulders of a "gate keeper" section on a trail and it did tweak my rear bumper a bit. Still functional and to 99% of the people who look at it, they would never notice it. I just chalk it up to battle scars. But I would prefer a heaver gauge material (either thicker or higher strength metal or aluminum of a proper gauge).
  • The swing-out does not align perfectly with the De-Sta-Co clamp when closing. I have to give it just a little lift to nest in there. I can just slam it, but I don't like being hard on my gear. When close, it clamps fine.
  • I have already sheared off the locking pin that is by the swing-out hinge. Note, it will hold the swing-out in place when open, but don't let it fly out or put a lot of strain on it, it will shear off. Metal Tech was kind enough to send me another one, no charge. :)
  • This may be a personal thing, but I'd like the spare and jerry can racks to be mounted lower on the bumper for a couple of reasons: a) more rear visibility, not blocking so much of the rear window. b) lower CG. (although with my roof top tent and all this may be a mute point :meh:)
  • The little "gas shock" for containing speed of the swing-out on a hill is useless. I can't feel a thing with it. I always keep a hand on the swing-out when opening and closing to ensure it doesn't slam in or out. With all that weight, that wee gas shock should be WAY beefier.
So, that's my 2 cents worth. Okay, it may be more like 2 bits...

Thanks, I have the Factor 55 version of that.

We use multiple recovery points for training more advanced rigging for recover. A single recovery point is sufficient for most recreational users but two to three points is preferred.

I heard from Luke of 4x4Labs today, he confirmed that he will begin working on 460 products next month. Fingers crossed it's as good as some of his other designs.

My local fab shop that's welding up my ARB air compressor bracket initiated a conversation about a custom rear bumper. I like the idea. I have a few projects planned with them so we shall see how those turn out first.

Has anyone checked out the rear bumper that Victory4x4 has for the 4R? According to their site it's 3/16" steel, has integrated cube light mounts, 3/4" recovery tabs, and built-in provisions for dual swingouts, hi-lift jack points and also built-in hitch (factory rated). Swingouts (single or double) are sold separately.

I recently picked up a rack from them for my GX and was impressed with the build quality and styling. I inquired about the GX version of the 4R rear bumper and Corey G. @ Victory4x4 confirmed it's in the works. He wouldn't confirm a timeline but indicated by the end of the year at the earliest....

Cost-wise, the 4R rear bumper is on the high end. $1500 for the bumper + $1000 for the dual swingouts ($500 each) + Freight ($150-$350). Add another $250 for powdercoat.
If the GX version is anything like the 4R, I'd lean towards the Victory4x4 over the Metal Tech, Dobinsons and Kaymar.

Almost all of these bumpers with dual swing outs, powder coat and freight will be near $3K and many will be north of that number, that's not going to change.

If you have first hand experience with the Dobisons and Kaymar please share and detailed pictures if possible.

In case you haven't seen it, I have a full installation write-up for the Kaymar on my build thread starting here: Builds - His and Her GX 460 Builds

For what it's worth, I first tried the MetalTech and feel the price difference for quality is 100% worth it. Much better made, more functional, and lighter to boot. Just my personal $0.02.

In case you haven't seen it, I have a full installation write-up for the Kaymar on my build thread starting here: Builds - His and Her GX 460 Builds

For what it's worth, I first tried the MetalTech and feel the price difference for quality is 100% worth it. Much better made, more functional, and lighter to boot. Just my personal $0.02.

I have read on the Kaymer site about options for the bumper such as the wing supports. Are these supports not standard for the 3200 asking price? I am one that will use the bumper to its fullest potential.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom