2012 Clock Spring Replacement (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Has anyone here replaced a clock spring (and documented it)? Looks like my daughter's needs replacing and the shop wants $800 for the repair. Curious about whether anyone went aftermarket or OEM and how many banana job it is? Videos on YT are somewhat incomplete for a 4R and I don't like messing with explosives (airbag). Basic search didn't yield a thread. Thanks

I wouldn’t be surprised if it ( spiral cable ) is the same part I replaced in my 07 FJ Cruiser. You’ll need a steering wheel puller. I got my OEM part ( 84306-60080 ) from partsouq.com for 149.17 including shipping. Main points are - steering centered, disconnect battery, you’ll need a T30 torx bit to remove the airbag, follow the included instructions for installation. All assuming code diagnostics were done first.

Used to pull the steering wheel off our old 100 series LC's, and never had an issue. But as mentioned above, you'll need a steering wheel puller or as I did, made my own.
Just look carefully when you're pulling and if it feels like you're tugging on something, stop and investigate.
You'll be fine.

Has anyone here replaced a clock spring (and documented it)? Looks like my daughter's needs replacing and the shop wants $800 for the repair. Curious about whether anyone went aftermarket or OEM and how many banana job it is? Videos on YT are somewhat incomplete for a 4R and I don't like messing with explosives (airbag). Basic search didn't yield a thread. Thanks
I looked it up, for your 4runner the part# is 84307-30090. Partsouq.com price is 271.62 + shipping. Apparently it’s different than the FJ.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom