2010 Tundra probs (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've got a 2010 Tundra CrewMax just turned 40k miles. It doesn't tow worth a crap! Hauled my trailer (tow haul mode ) with my RZR and Harley to Moab a couple weeks ago and only got 7.5 mpg. On the way home again in tow haul mode the RPMs were really climbing and then everything quit, like a safe mode or something. The check engine light came on flashing the motor slowed so I pulled over....in the middle of nowhere! After a visual inspection of the engine, oil, and everywhere else I could look I found nothing. Started it back up and made it all the way back home. It seems really gutless. It's all stock, total weight towed including trailer, RZR, and Harley was 5400lbs. Again, no power and 7.5mpg????

I'm Toyota to the core! I own 4 cruisers, a Camry, and the Tundra. Has there been any probs with the IForce or the trannys???

TFJM

I am not surprised by the 7.5mpg, but I am surprised by the lack of power. I hauled my hilux 900 miles a few weeks ago to go wheeling. There always is power to spare with the 5.7L - that is what you have, correct?

I have 140,000 miles on my 2007 and tow 7,000 - 8,000 pounds atleast once a week.

I would get the codes checked, there might be some stored....

my 11 crewmax could only do 8.5mpg max towing my Tacoma and later a JD2305. The tow mode also sucked - tranny hunted like hell.

Took the Tundra in to Toyota. They drove it for several days and couldn't get a "code" to show. Nothing! I again said the main problems were when towing or under load. But the 7mpg with nothing in it or being pulled by it were freaking ridiculous! Yesterday they called and said they took it up Old Stage Hill Road, a very steep hill, and they got ignition module codes. They said under load it's not firing properly and seems to have no power!!!

So they ordered new ignition parts. At least it's a warranty issue so it doesn't dent my beer fund or 40 fund or 60 fund. I will update as I get info of my Tundra back.

TFJM

Well, got the call. They said it is now fixed. New coil as well. I'll post updates when I get it home. Maybe I'll put my heavy ass 60 on my trailer and see what happens.

Tundra seems to run better. Haven't put a load in it yet but now I'm showing 14mpg. It was a faulty coil, ignition issues, and two badly fouled plugs. They said the problems caused the plugs to foul, causing the smoke out the tailpipe I had noticed. All makes sense now. Plus, it was all warranty work so I didn't pay a dome. I hope this short thread helps other Tundra owner if the same symptoms arise.

TFJM

Thx for sharing. My 08 tundra tows great and keeps abt 12 mpg towing abt 5k

Well! It's back in the shop! On my way home tonight had the Tundra on Cruise at 68mph, going up a hill towing nothing, the tranny kicked down as I was going up the hill.... It happened again! Stalled out in safe mode, engine light flashing, only drives about 40 mph. Turned around headed to Toyota since the engine light is flashing. A crap load of codes came up the mechanic said. They said they would call tomorrow with more info. Just pisses me off!

Again, I'll update as I get info.

TFJM

Got it back. It was two fuel injectors this time. I hope it's done in the shop now! However, I'm getting 16mpg now. That's a lot better! Thanks to the warrant and Toyota standing behind their product I again paid nothing.

TFJM

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom