Events/Trails 200's, 100's and 80's through the Rubicon! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Just catching up on all this after a few days offline... amazing photos, everyone, especially Ken and Emily! Did y'all start at Loon Lake or run it backwards? I'm glad to see you all enjoy Tahoe and the Sierras :)

@SchobTime do you think a slider kickout would be enough to escape body damage on Cadillac Hill or is the 200 just too big?
@indycole I can’t see how you could squeeze a 200 through it. You can get around Big Sluice by taking the far left line. But that squeeze point on Cadillac is too tight. That said, a slider kickout would have helped. I will take the 40 next year, one and done for the 200 😬

Post Rubicon body damage - drivers side doors via Cadillac Hill

CC4E3D14-DA42-46CB-A537-D5A2E04C4A07.jpeg

Rubicon is no joke, and not a good trail for a 200. It can be done, and was by two on this trip, but not without almost certain body damage. Everyone on the trip had some damage, some worse than others, and none all that bad really. The 200 is just too damn big to avoid it unfortunately, and the undercarriage takes a beating!. An 80 is as big a truck as I'd want to run through it. A 40 would be the perfect size with a lot of armor and big tires to be safe.

Best trail I've ever done and I'll be back for sure one day!

None of these pics hold a candle to what the Reiten's put up here. My family doesn't have the same photog genes unfortunately.

enhance

enhance

Ken's 470 sporting Treps
enhance

enhance

enhance

per wikipedia (inches)
80 - 189.8 x 76
100 - 192.5 x 76.4
200 - 196.5 x 78
Wheelbase is unchanged (112.2 in)

Is the weight more a factor than we think? Or that spot really is 76.5" wide and anything wider is going to scrape?

Post Rubicon body damage - drivers side doors via Cadillac Hill

Ouch. That should buff right out. I believe that since the Rubicon Trail is technically a road, insurance companies are supposed to cover any damage.

I'm no expert in this kind of thing, but having both an 80 and a 200, and having wheeled both on the same tough trail (not Rubi), I think weight, distribution of that weight (hard to measure since every truck on every outing has different distribution), and especially the solid front axle which is more planted than the 200 KDSS even if the travel is good, make the difference. The 80 just feels more in control, and none of these spots that are tight are on solid ground. Slippage is the main reason for hitting, and the size of the truck just adds to that. If that spot was through pavement, the 200 would fit... just barely, and depending on the driver, not always.

per wikipedia (inches)
80 - 189.8 x 76
100 - 192.5 x 76.4
200 - 196.5 x 78

Is the weight more a factor than we think? Or that spot really is 76.5" wide and anything wider is going to scrape?

per wikipedia (inches)
80 - 189.8 x 76
100 - 192.5 x 76.4
200 - 196.5 x 78

I wonder if amount of lift and tire size also play a factor into peoples reasoning of 200 being too big...

after being on the trail for 3 days we shot into South Lake Tahoe for beers, my daughter Em snapped this photo while convoying...
i-Cwx8tvG-X2.jpg

In South Lake Tahoe the beers were flowing and the music was great, even got them to crank up Zombie, they nailed it!
i-ggH3gC9-X2.jpg

i-LctgrxT-X2.jpg

Perfection. Ive always been curious as to how a 200 would do on the Rubicon. LOVE the pictures.
Thanks for the props on the pics, was an awesome trip, can't wait to do it again!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom