2009 LX570 4LO light not coming on (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

zoned

SILVER Star
Threads
Hello everyone,
I just purchased a 2009 LX570 with 168k on it and like a friggin idiot I didn’t test drive the 4LO setting.
I try to engage it and it does nothing, no lights no relay sound. Nothing. I’ve checked the fuse which is good and disconnected the battery for a
Minute and still nothing happens. I removed the console and made sure the connectors were seated. All the other functions work( except for crawl which tells me I have to be in 4lo) anyone have any ideas? I’m going to take it in to the Lexus dealer next Tuesday to see if they can figure it out.

Hello everyone,
I just purchased a 2009 LX570 with 168k on it and like a friggin idiot I didn’t test drive the 4LO setting.
I try to engage it and it does nothing, no lights no relay sound. Nothing. I’ve checked the fuse which is good and disconnected the battery for a
Minute and still nothing happens. I removed the console and made sure the connectors were seated. All the other functions work( except for crawl which tells me I have to be in 4lo) anyone have any ideas? I’m going to take it in to the Lexus dealer next Tuesday to see if they can figure it out.

Chances are it’s been years (if ever) since it was engaged. There are more than a few posts discussing this issue. From what I remember, try hitting the button and go slowly forward and then reverse. Eventually it will engage. Periodically when I find dirt roads I’ll engage the center diff lock and/or engage 4-Lo to to ensure everything works when needed.

Drive it a lot - let everything warm up nice and good. Once it’s hot, try engaging. If you do that and STILL nothing, let us know

If driving it around to warm up and repeated attempts don't get it to work, it's likely related to the details in this thread. I'm not suggesting you attempt this level of repair, just that the actuator is where to look first.

Drove it around for about an hour and same thing. It’s like the switch doesn’t work at all. Shouldn’t I at least hear a click from the relay or something saying it’s trying to work? I’m wondering if someone spilled something and Shorted our that button but seeing as it’s part of the same circuit board as the other switches that’s probably a no go

Normally if the switch works you’ll get a flashing light if it can’t engage. You get no error at all. When you pulled the console did you disassemble the switch?

Normally if the switch works you’ll get a flashing light if it can’t engage. You get no error at all. When you pulled the console did you disassemble the switch?
Yes, I took it all the way to the circuit board to make sure nothing look burnt. Noticed what looked like cola residue but not on the board itself so not sure.yes no error no light blinking or otherwise.

Ok try this

image.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks! I’ll try that next!

put in neutral. Switch to 4lo. Turn off. Turn back on.

Even if you get it to finally actuate, it's not a fix.

You'll need to go into the actuator to refresh and repair the electromagnetically contacts. Per post #4 above. It's possible your issue may be something else, but the actuator issues are a common issue to this and other Toyota platforms.

After fixing mine, it's working so much better. Off-road, I can reliably get into the different modes again where it was a hit and miss prior. Much like you, seemed like the buttons did nothing at times.

Last edited:
Ok here’s the latest from the Lexus diagnostic:
Unable to communicate with 4wd ecu. Needs 4wd Ecu replaced before the shift actuator can be tested. Waiting on the purchase dealer to get back with me to see if they are going to cover this.
I’m guessing an ecu replacement isn’t just a plug and play thing?

Ok here’s the latest from the Lexus diagnostic:
Unable to communicate with 4wd ecu. Needs 4wd Ecu replaced before the shift actuator can be tested. Waiting on the purchase dealer to get back with me to see if they are going to cover this.
I’m guessing an ecu replacement isn’t just a plug and play thing?
This is a rare failure mode . . .
As far as that ECU, my poor recollection is that it is on the right hand side, behind the glove box. It may require a registration via techstream but mostly plug and play.

*edit location

Last edited:
Yup, @grinchy .

Anytime I hear it's the ECU....

Could be the rare case. But it's almost never the ECU. Much more likely the harness or stuff about the ECU.

Ok so here’s an update! Because the Lexus dealer wanted me to pay them 900 for a new 4wd Ecu and because I haven’t had an extra 900 bucks I put this on the back burner. Well the other day I was messing around with the center diff lock and noticed the switch sound coming from the glovebox area when I hit the button. Something I didn’t hear when I tried to use the 4lo switch. Curious and bored I decided to pull the console and look at the terrain switches again thinking maybe the previous owner had spilled a drink in there and gummed up the switches. Switches were clean but I noticed a very small triangular piece of plastic broken off. Turns out that little piece of plastic is what presses the actuator to get to 4lo.
Figuring what the hell I hit eBay and found a used console including the terrain buttons for 100.00
Well, it just got here a plugged it up and guess what?

I’ve got 4lo!!!!!!!!

A little tiny piece of plastic turned my beast into a mall cruiser!!

Now my dumb question of the day is:
Is crawl control extremely noisy like there’s a team of construction workers under my hood building s***?
It works like a charm but I’m scared I’m tearing something up!

Anyway sorry for the long rant but maybe this will save someone else from similar pain.
Little plastic buttons suck.

glad it's fixed!
yes, crawl can make a racket.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom