2008 LX 570 PPI questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Reposting this in the right forum...

Hi everyone, been loving this forum and am excited for a new rig. Found a pretty good deal on a LX with 200k but they found some issues I’m a little wary of since I’d be driving it a long way home. Generally it’s been serviced by Lexus for first 150k, but last 50k are unknown. Here’s what they found:

- Leaking water pump (unsure how bad the leak is)
- 4 different tires brands and one at 3/32 tread
- needs 2 tire pressure sensors
- front strut
- control arm bushings

Just got a much clearer report. Attached are both reports.

What do y’all think? Should I pass on this and wait for something a bit more clean?

thanks for any advice!!

Attachments

• 20201102163512983.pdf
    498.9 KB · Views: 91
  • 20201103111223154.pdf
    766.7 KB · Views: 58
The 4 different tires make me think it is neglected. The TPMS sensors are not a big deal since the tires are coming off anyway. Has it had a radiator ? do it at the same time as the water pump. You have a great tool to use to get the price down. Does it have any maintenance history ? No rust ? How is the interior? What is the price? I would buy 4 tires and get 2 TPMS sensors before the drive home. Also why did they not look at the spare tire ? Is it under the LC? The water pump is a big if. is it seeping or pouring ? It would be in the immediate future with a radiator if it has not had one.

Thanks for the feedback!

Here’s the rig. $22,400

Interior looked pretty good. No rust. Not sure about radiator. The different tires made me think they had some other rubber on them they wanted to keep so swapped out for as cheap as possible. That’s just a guess though and I’m not in a rush. Leaning toward passing on this unless he can drop the price closer to 20k

I have a little different perspective. I love it when tires are worn and don't match. Whatever justifies putting on exactly what I want sooner rather than waiting for something to finish wearing out! I would take some comfort in the fact that it is being inspected by a Lexus dealership. They should be able to do a good job thoroughly inspecting it. Rust would be my biggest "run-away" element. I agree you have a great tool to get the price down. Then you should have a reputable independent that can do the work for much less money. To me the front strut is critical since whoever does it hopefully has knowledge and can do the AHC flush too. The other mechanical things are relatively simple because they are common to this motor found in the Tundra. Look for the tell tale signs that the radiator is the old style and might have some small hairline cracks starting.

I would ask what your expectations are. Are you wanting a rig that is like it only has a few thousand miles, and can afford to find that perfect one when it pops up, or are you looking for a good value, knowing that at 200k there will be things to tackle but overall, it should still be a reliable vehicle?

If you purchase, I would do an oil change immediately and send a sample to Blackstone labs to see if anything raises an immediate red flag. I also try to figure out what my real price expectations are and stick to that when negotiating on a used vehicle. How long do you plan on keeping it? Sometimes I can accept purchase prices a little higher if I know I will be keeping a vehicle a little longer since I don't need to recoup as much money from my original purchase when I sell it the following year or whenever some people "flip" their cars. Be happy to walk away if you can't come to an agreement. Not upset, just content that there are many vehicles to eventually be found.

For reference, I purchased mine for your seller's asking price two years ago with 175k and have been happy about it despite a few unknowns that I came across. Happy hunting.

Last edited:
At that mileage, none of those things surprise me. Frankly everything noted at that mileage will have been due and I file them under maintenance. Including the control arm bushings and front strut. Unless they were taken care of at some point before your purchase, which means they may come due again.

Use those findings as leverage to negotiate price. Then use the savings as an opportunity to baseline and get fresh new parts to go another 100k++.

Wow, this forum is much less critical than .26, where this was accidentally posted first.

Oh, it's the 100 tech forum when you look at the url. This forum is .136 for instance

I think at $15-16 that would be a buy. I found a 09-10 LX570 on a Volkswagen dealer lot in Tennessee when I was up looking at FJ cruisers. The sales guy to me that $19K plus tax and the usual would buy it. It had been there a while and was about to go to auction. It was very nice soccer mom truck and 2 owner. It was a about 120,000 miles

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom