2007 has 85k and engine started making a weird noise (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My in-laws bought their 2007 FJCruiser new. It now has 85k miles. It is 2wd and pampered.
Yesterday, they started it and it is now making a weird noise from the engine compartment. I will be taking a look at it later today, but wanted to see if anyone can chime in on if they have experienced something similar... any recalls for engine... my first guess is pulley tensioner or water pump..

Thank for any feedback you got.

"Weird noise" covers a lot of ground; can you be more specific? Squealing, knocking, tapping? Does it vary with engine rpm? Does it make the noise standing still or only when rolling?

I just found out its a whining noise from the front of motor near alternator area. I'm thinking it's a bearing on one of the pulleys or water pump....

I just found out its a whining noise from the front of motor near alternator area. I'm thinking it's a bearing on one of the pulleys or water pump....
Yes. The noise increases as the rpm increases.

Use a long screwdriver (or any rod/piece of metal) for an engine stethoscope. Put one end on the alternator and the put your temple near your ear on the other end. If it's an alternator bearing you will hear it really loud. A whirring noise when you do this is ok, but if the bearing is bad it will be an obnoxious noise. If it's not the alternator, then move the engine end of the screwdriver/stethoscope around to the water pump, power steering pump, tensioner pulley, etc. and see if you find the noise there. The water pump is pretty noisy naturally; usually if the water pump is bad you will see water dripping from the weep hole underneath the output shaft.

Serpentine belt bearings?

sound like you need new pulleys... in the dark with a flashlight with engine running you should be able to see which pulley needs to be replaced. it'll be the one moving back and forth. Free test is to release tension on the serpentine belt and put a hand on each pulley. the one the feels like garbage and not smooth is the bad one

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom