2007 FJC with a blown head gasket (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
The temperature gauge was reading very hot after driving for 10 minutes. A bad coolant temperature sensor code was showing. I had already changed the thermostat hoping to fix the problem a month ago. I had it towed to the dealer and they said that coolant was all over in the engine because of a blown head gasket. But they don't want to fix the blown gasket, they want to replace the engine and charge labor for a grand total of $13000. Does this seem correct? Do dealerships stay away from major repairs and just replace engines? I have sourced another engine for $3500, but have no time to install it. Also have found a reputable mechanic that will rebuild my engine and install for $4790. Anyway, I'm having a bad day. Please let me know what an option may be for me or if you have had the same problem and how you figured it out. thanks.

It's hard to say based on the variables at play with overheating/headgasket failures. Sometimes engines can just have the headgasket replaced, head decked and reassemble. Could be in for $1-2k if so

Unknowns:
-milkshaked oil roached bearings
-warped head/block/components

The $13,000 option is crazy...

The used engine for $4,800 isn't the worst plan but that $3,500 engine should have some kind of warranty etc... pretty expensive if its an unknown history used engine.

To answer your question, yes stealerships stay away from any jobs not paying a ton.

This is not your 2F. Alloy block and heads. If there is anything besides a carbon ridge above the top ring in the cylinders condition wise you need a block. If your mechanic has rebuilt a 1GR-FE before, I’d like to ask that customer how it turned out. If it was in fact a blown head gasket, and not a popped coolant hose in the valley it got pretty hot. If you can get a used engine that was running ( totaled ) and has some service paper work, it would be the easier road to running again.

First how many miles do you have on the vehicle? Did you perform basic maintenance? How long did you drive it after it overheated?
For 13k I would find a used 4Runner with good history.

was that quote from Toyota?

Alloy block and heads. If there is anything besides a carbon ridge above the top ring in the cylinders condition wise you need a block.
Thats a good point... I still worship the old gods.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom