2006 having some interesting issues with Moab heat (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

For the record the fan clutch on my 2006 had the same resistance when the engine was hot or cold. So I replaced it along with most of the hoses, heater ts, thermostat and radiator cap, and of course all new coolant. The new fan clutch felt exactly the same as the old one but my Temps were staying very consistently at 188 so I haven't investigated further.

I seem to recall someone saying they changed the fan clutch and maybe a few other parts for the 06&07 models so I'm curious to confirm that/see if anyone has insight into what the change was.

The past week or so it has been in the 90s here and I am now starting to see Temps from 190-195 but only when sitting in traffic as soon as I start driving the Temps drop back down. Which again sounds kind of like a fan clutch problem, but I need to recheck the coolant level and probably give the radiator a solid cleaning before I look to mess with the fan clutch again.

Can anyone else with an 06/07 chime in with the behavior of their fan clutch on a hot vs cold engine?

Seeing the temps climb a little in traffic is pretty normal. My 240sx didn't even start the electric fans until 193 for the first and 203 for the second. I don't honestly know what temp the thermostat is in our trucks, but the norm is around 180 degrees.

Unfortunately, on this trip, I forgot my blutooth dongle so I wasn't able to look at the temps directly on the ECU so all I had to go on was the temp gauge. When I get aroudn to changing out my fan clutch I'll try to remember to report back if I feel any difference.

What octane fuel are you running? Utah has 85 everywhere, which is a no go, especially in the summer. Ethanol in summer blends makes the boiling way worse in my experience. Ethanol free 91 makes things better for boiling issues, power loss and heat. The ECU will retard timing like crazy in high heat conditions to prevent predetonation when intake air temps get above 150F. The lower the octane of fuel, the lower that number gets. The ecu takes time to react to knock sensor input, so every time you press the gas even slightly heat builds up.

More than likely with your symptoms a fan clutch is the root of your problem. I went out with a few people who thought a 100 series boiling over in 100F temps was normal on a trail. After a new aisin fan clutch, none of them had issues. How the fan clutch feels when the motor is not running means nothing, like mentioned above. Every time you are moving slow in hot weather the fan should sound like an airplane taking off at 1500rpm until the radiator cools down.

Also, make sure you fan shroud is in good shape and that the factory installed foam is still there around the radiator. Both of those make a huge difference

I was filling up using 91 to see if that helped the boiling issue but I didnt' notice a difference. It was probably a good 21 gallons of 91 onto 5 remaining gallons of 85.

Definitely had plenty of fan noise at 1500 rpm so it's definitely moving air, but maybe not as much as it should, espcially at idle. Definitely something easy to replace and check.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom