2006 4.7 V8 260k mi. New owner, suggestions on services to consider? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just bought a used 4Runner from my brother. He had it for a year and didn't use it much. He got a good deal on it because it wasn't in the greatest shape. Some minor exterior issues (broken door handle; damage to passenger door molding, etc). make me wonder how well the previous owner took care of the engine. He did not provide proof of any services done or anything like that. I have a mechanic who helped me get some of the major issues taken care of (and he says the engine sounds good, no weird noises). Replaced timing belt, water pump and thermostat. Put in a new battery; rotors, calipers, and brake pads.
I was wondering what might be worth checking out as far as routine service that may not have been done that could be important. Things like checking sensors, seals, fluids, spark plugs, lubricating drive shaft or something like that. Flushing the brake fluid line? Sorry to be all over the place; I'm relatively inexperienced but am really excited about this 4Runner and want to get it in good shape so that it will last. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Baselining a new rig with unknown history is always a great idea. Change all of the fluids: transmission, diffs & transfer case, brakes. Check for leaks, address as necessary. Spark plugs (cheap) and coil packs (not cheap) are a good idea if condition is unknown. Yes, hit all of the zerks on your driveshafts.

If any sensors are on the fritz, you'll know via the check engine light.

I'd also suggest checking out the front end: ensure the tie rod ends and balljoints and front wheel bearings are in good condition - no looseness in TRE and balljoints, no catching/grinding on wheel bearing with the tire off the ground.

I'd also expect some rubber bushings are going to need to be addressed at some point: specifically, the front control arms.

Change the engine air filter and the cabin filter.

Doing the brakes and timing job was a very smart move, you hit the biggest & most expensive work! Since you did that work, drive and enjoy it while you check out everything else. :)

I would go through the front suspension and wheel bearings. Inspect the ball joints as that is a huge safety issue if they put in cheap ones and you don't know the history. If one fails the wheel comes off so to speak.

Grease your driveshafts, specifically the front shaft at the tcase. It's hidden under a little metal shield and people rarely grease that one. It would be the first joint to fail of the 4 total.

I purchased a scanguageII and it's a huge help to monitor the transmission temp and engine temp. It also displays wheel pressure for each one rather than the dummy light.

Show us a picture of the undercarriage and the engine bay.

sorry for delay, computer issues among other things.

Had my mechanic inspect the front suspension, wheel bearings, tie rod ends and ball joints. He said it all looked good and no issues at all. Did some digging and found the engine air filter looked recently replaced and the drive shafts also seemed to be recently lubricated. Took some pictures, not the best quality but I will attach them. Seems like it's in good shape so pretty happy with it.

Let me know if there is anything else that springs to mind to keep an eye on as miles get up there. Appreciate it!

IMG_0067.jpg

IMG_0070.jpg

IMG_0071.jpg

IMG_0073.jpg

IMG_0074.jpg

As mentioned before I found the scangauge II to be extremely helpful since it lets me monitor transmission temps and engine temps.

A bonus is you get all four wheel pressures with full readings not just the 'low" light.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom