2006-2008 tundra (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello,
I think its time for me to give up my precious tacoma. The wife has been on me to get something with a bigger back seat.
My question about the the tundra's is how capable are they off road? My stock TRD taco, can go so many places. it handles the beach, the desert, the snowy mountains , and the mud all no problem. Will a stock TRD tundra have the same or nearly the same qualifications?
Thanks so much
:)

Why 2006-2008? I ask, because '06 was the last year of the 1st Gen Tundra...'07 was the new body style, as well as the new 5.7 motor, and first year of the 2nd Gen...Not sure if there were any other major changes.

Also, if you were expecting an electric rear locker with an '06 TRD Tundra...forget it... :(
1st Gen Tundras never had the electric locker option...The TuRD package was pretty much just a little beefier suspension, some minor comfort items, and cosmetic items like flares and stickers...Probably Toyotas cr@ppiest and saddest form of the TuRD package ever...I dont know about the 2nd Gens though...

If 2006-2008 becuase of price range, I would try to stick with '07+ if possible. While the '06 is a capable and nice truck, and being the last year of the 1st Gen, and the 2nd year of the newer VVT motors and 5spd auto trannys, all the bugs are pretty much worked out. Also, the 1st Gens got pretty much NO aftermarket love...Very limited options on all the model unique off-road products we all love...The 2nd Gens have MUCH more aftermarket support, with MANY more vendors offering products.

Luckily, if you want to lift a 1st Gen, there are several good ways to do it, that arent too expensive.

Oh, and for backseat, the '06 was available in both Access Cab and Double Cab. The Access cab has plenty of room for kids, unless you have some big teens...Adults may be a bit cramped for longer trips...The rear seat is non-adjustable, and pretty much sits at a 90° angle...The DC, IIRC, has more legroom, the cab is a few inches wider (I think), the seats are more plush, and I believe the backs may adjust a little bit.
I couldnt speak on the seating in a 2nd Gen.

Last edited:
Access cabs suck. More to the point suicide doors suck. They dropped that idea for the 2nd gen.

I've had an access cab 1st and double cab and crewmax 2nds. The Dc is nice in the back. The cm is Huge in the back. Almost too big.

My current dc is a TRD edition. It's huge. I had it off road last weekend to go rescue my wheeling rig. It does well for a very big truck, but it a very big truck.

Last edited:
Thanks Cracker and Gumby. Cracker I was really thinking of the 2006 b/c of the body style. I know they changed a few things with the HP in 2005 I think. The 07 and up are a big truck. I am not sure I need all that serious of a truck. I also like the pricing on the first generations. I will be doing some more research. Thanks for info.

I've owned an 04 dcab, 06 dcab, 08 crewmax and 11 crewmax.

The 06 is the one I miss.

Have you considered a 2nd gen Tacoma double cab? They are within an inch of the track/wheelbase, and height/width/length of a 1st gen tundra DC. Plus you can get a more capable TRD package with the Tacoma

I half agree with effjay...Even if he's right, and a Taco is so close to the size of a Tundra, at least in MY region, the TUndras seem to be going for WAY cheaper than similar Tacomas...Thats one of the two only reasons I chose a Tundra to replace my 99 Taco, instead of upgrading to a 2nd Gen Taco...the Tundras were MUCH cheaper, for more (even if only SLIGHTLY), truck...

I wouldnt get dead-set on one with a TRD package, and rule out a non-TRD...
I'm not exactly sure what exactly is included with the TRD package on an '06, but I know on the earlier years, there was VERY little that was unique to the TRD package, that wasnt available available as separate options.
So make sure you're not overpaying for just for the TRD package...

The specs don't lie, and I'm just throwing out options. I actually own an 05' tundra and really really like it. But just to play devils advocate, It is nice that the tacoma is available with a 6 speed manual, e-locker, skid plates, and more aftermarket support. If only it came with the 4.7 vvti!

effjay, yes, I SOOOOO wish that the V8 Tundies had a manual trans option... :(
So, yeah thats another reason to get a Taco over a Tundra...Like I said, I would have preferred a Taco instead of a Tundra, as I'm single, and dont tow, or need a large bed for hauling stuff around....But the price difference was just too much...

Thanks guys for all the pointing out all the different possibilities. To be honest, I just do not like the look of the second generation taco's. The price difference between the the Tundra's and the Tacoma's is nice to. Cracker I know what your saying about the TRD package on the Tundra. I know there is no E locker. I dont consider the "off roading" I do that serious. I also grew up in a place where going "off roaring" meant driving your truck through the swamps and deep mud holes, So, my idea's might be alittle skewed.
I think the TRD package gives better shocks, bigger rims, alittle more ground clearance, tow hooks. Which is exactly what I do to any 4x4 truck, I bought. I just need to be able to through the terrain of central cal and montana in all seasons and be comfortable on the highway.
Thanks again guys. I am still hunting for one. I have been checking carmax and auto trader daily.

I had an '04 DC TRD that came with an LSD. I didn't like it and traded it back in after paying one note. It got poor gas mileage, had very little storage, and I didn't like the process to put it into 4wd. It couldn't just have a shifter like my wife's gx470. Simple.

Is a mild lift, a set of Bilsteins, and a set of wheels/tires worth the time/effort/money of tracking down a TRD package? Just saying.

Hi guys -

Sorry to dig up an old thread but if I ask the Tundra guys on their website/forum, they will for sure recommend a tundra.
I'm thinking about buying a 2007+ (serious about a 2007) for use on the highway to drive up to the lab and haul stuff and people.

I like the sounds of the gas mileage and the room. Having a 4x4 will be helpful but I still have my 80 series for real offroading...

So for any of you Tundra owners - you feel good about a 5.7L Tundra in 2007 with 100K miles?
Are they a decently designed truck with not too many issues?

anything I should look for on inspectiion?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom