2005 front to rear AC line failure (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Apologies for another rear AC post, but it seemed that my question was slightly different. So short story long, my AC crapped out a couple of months ago and leaked at the condenser. The independent guy I go to finally sourced and replaced the condenser and recharged the system. It worked for a little while, but then began to leak going to the rear lines, so a couple of questions:

1. Is it worth the time and expense to replace the rear AC? I live in MA, but even then use the AC probably some portion of about 8 months out of the year, not including when I use it to dry and defrost the windshield, but typically carry no more than two people and a dog 99% of the time. I don't know what it will cost, but know it is intensive as the exhaust etc will need to come off.

2. Should I just have him cap the lines going to the rear and keep the front functional?
2A. If I just have him cap the lines is there a preferred product to use or just whatever sized cap works (5/16 etc)?
2B. Would it be at all beneficial to get lines from a non rear AC truck (such as a 98 Cruiser) and have him run the system with them instead?

TIA for everyone's thoughts

You can replace the lines and rear unit without removing the exhaust. It is a pain to snake the pre-formed lines in there, but it is doable. You will have to tear into the interior to free the AC unit. I would do it. There is a lot of space in there the cool down with just the front unit.

As an FYI, just went through the same thing. Had to replace a leaking line to the rear AC.

Used an independent Toyota shop and it cost $840 total. Labor was $530. Parts were $180 and another $130 to recharge the system.

Small diameter flexible lines are available these days and can be run anyplace you can fit them. Might be an alternative if labor to replace the OEM lines is prohibitive.

As an FYI, just went through the same thing. Had to replace a leaking line to the rear AC.

Used an independent Toyota shop and it cost $840 total. Labor was $530. Parts were $180 and another $130 to recharge the system.
Unfortunately I think that is in line with what mine would cost, hence my considering just capping it. I know there is some benefit to fixing it perfectly, but not sure it is big enough to justify.

You can replace the lines and rear unit without removing the exhaust. It is a pain to snake the pre-formed lines in there, but it is doable. You will have to tear into the interior to free the AC unit. I would do it. There is a lot of space in there the cool down with just the front unit.
Unfortunately I have niether the time nor the expertise to do it myself, so it would be my local AC shop, which is where it gets pricey

Unless you have kids the in back, rear AC is really not that necessary. Cap the lines and call it a day. You can always add it back in the future if you change your mind.

Unfortunately I have niether the time nor the expertise to do it myself, so it would be my local AC shop, which is where it gets pricey

If you can change your oil, you can at least replace the needed parts. It is tedious, but not complicated. Charging the system is a bit more complicated, but again very doable and there are plenty on here to help you.

Time is now on your side too since AC should not be needed for another 7+ months. Yeah you might have to deal with some interior condensation on wet days, but heat on high will take care of that.

Unfortunately I think that is in line with what mine would cost, hence my considering just capping it. I know there is some benefit to fixing it perfectly, but not sure it is big enough to justify.
Yep, I hear you. I wanted to make sure mine was fully operational and bit the bullet.

You could probably just cap it for now and to a full fix down the road if you need to?

Had my condenser and evaporator core replaced this summer. I kept grilling the shop about the likelihood of leaks in the rear lines. He said they didn’t find any. I’m sure it’s just a matter of time. The good news is my system blows so cold now that I would likely just cap mine. Especially since I pulled the third row out. And that’s coming from someone who lives in Georgia! Hopefully once recharged, yours will blow equally as cold.

Small diameter flexible lines are available these days and can be run anyplace you can fit them. Might be an alternative if labor to replace the OEM lines is prohibitive.
@flintknapper, do you know what the fitting style that is used on the AC lines is called? I plan to remove my rear AC, but I would prefer not to cut the lines. I would like to find caps compatible with the fittings, but I haven't been able to figure out what they're called. I think they're o-ring fittings, but I haven't been able to find any info in Toyota literature or online.

I had soft lines made for both for about $120 shipped put them in in about an hour I had rear AC again. Get rid of the hard lines and just go with soft. I shipped them my ends about 1ft long at each end they had them back to me in Iowa in about 3days.
AZ Auto Air, Inc.- Tempe
480-464-1100

I had soft lines made for both for about $120 shipped put them in in about an hour I had rear AC again. Get rid of the hard lines and just go with soft. I shipped them my ends about 1ft long at each end they had them back to me in Iowa in about 3days.
AZ Auto Air, Inc.- Tempe
480-464-1100
Are you saying that AZ Auto Air supplied the flexible high pressure hoses? I didn't see that as a service listed on their site?

I had my rear ac capped off years ago and the system re-charged by an old school AC shop around here. I think they ::may:: have charged me $60. I have had no issues since and the front AC cools the entire truck to the point my daughter complains she's cold with it on all summer.

Are you saying that AZ Auto Air supplied the flexible high pressure hoses? I didn't see that as a service listed on their site?
Yes, they supplied everything I just supplied my ends and they took care of everything else. I was very impressed with their service and they were very quick at turning this around for me.

I'm a little late here with my suggestion but here it is. I work at a Toyota and Cadillac dealership and service both lines of vehicles.

* IF the leaking portion of A/C line is easily accessible*
- The cheapest/easiest/reliable fix for your A/C line would be repairing with A/C compression fittings. I just repaired my 06 Landcruiser line where it travels near the R/F wheel last week. I patched the skinny 5/16 line where it had a small pinhole leak by using a piece of spare scrap A/C line that I had lying around (I save various sizes of lines left over from repairs). I've used this kit on Sienna and land cruiser rear A/C in the past.

All GM dealerships should have received this essential tool- Miller Specialty tools J-41425 (see pictures) to repair/install A/C lines since some replacement rear lines come in sections and need to be installed with these fittings. I can only suggest asking at some nearby GM dealerships if they can repair the line with this kit. Again, this repair route would be a good option if the leak is somewhat easily accessible. If the line is not easily accessible then replacing the line would probably make the most sense after gaining access to it.

Here are a few pictures showing the tool and the fittings.

Edit: link to the kit. You probably don't want to buy it..... https://gmtoolsandequipment.com/en-US/Pages/ItemDetail.aspx?SKU=J-41425
j-41425-w-1920x1440_2.jpg

111735a.jpg

KMJ41425_L.jpg

Yes, they supplied everything I just supplied my ends and they took care of everything else. I was very impressed with their service and they were very quick at turning this around for me.
That's really cool, I may have to call them. It's funny they don't advertise such a good service.

I'm a little late here with my suggestion but here it is. I work at a Toyota and Cadillac dealership and service both lines of vehicles.

* IF the leaking portion of A/C line is easily accessible*
- The cheapest/easiest/reliable fix for your A/C line would be repairing with A/C compression fittings. I just repaired my 06 Landcruiser line where it travels near the R/F wheel last week. I patched the skinny 5/16 line where it had a small pinhole leak by using a piece of spare scrap A/C line that I had lying around (I save various sizes of lines left over from repairs). I've used this kit on Sienna and land cruiser rear A/C in the past.

All GM dealerships should have received this essential tool- Miller Specialty tools J-41425 (see pictures) to repair/install A/C lines since some replacement rear lines come in sections and need to be installed with these fittings. I can only suggest asking at some nearby GM dealerships if they can repair the line with this kit. Again, this repair route would be a good option if the leak is somewhat easily accessible. If the line is not easily accessible then replacing the line would probably make the most sense after gaining access to it.

Here are a few pictures showing the tool and the fittings.

Edit: link to the kit. You probably don't want to buy it..... https://gmtoolsandequipment.com/en-US/Pages/ItemDetail.aspx?SKU=J-41425
View attachment 2816471

View attachment 2816472

View attachment 2816473
That's Interesting, wonder why it's just a GM thing?

That's Interesting, wonder why it's just a GM thing?
My best guess- The escalade/tahoe/suburban rear lines were one piece from the factory. The replacement lines are still sold front to rear as the whole thing, but they arrive cut in half. This kit is necessary to install the lines whether replacing the whole thing or either half. There might be some other manufacturers using it too but I'm not sure.

AZ Auto Air, Inc.- Tempe
480-464-1100

Thanks for this. I just spoke with John at the same shop and he was very helpful. It seems clear where to detach the two lines at the right rear passenger size by the AC condensor. But where did you detach the pieces that you sent in from other end? I don't see a clear place to detach the large line given the T joint, and the small line keeps running across to the other side under the hood. Where did you detach, and where did you cut on the front end?

AC lines.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom