2005 4Runner AC system anemic? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
The AC was blowing about 50-54 degrees out of the vents and the compressor was constantly cycling. I replaced the compressor, condensor and expansion valve. Then re-charged the system. Now it gets to around 48-50 at best. My 100 series and a GMC Yukon I have all get down to 40-42 according to the same guage I use on the 4Runner. I took it in to a shop and they went over the entire system and said everything is good. I have heard from a few people that the 4Runner AC systems are weak. Does anyone else have this issue with any year 4Runner?

I have 2003 (V8) I can check how cold is coming out of my vents when I get home. I never measured temp. before it's cold even on a warm day my son would complain to turn it down or off on long trips.

@Meatdawg Did you find the problem? I forgot to get back to you, I will check what is my vent output when I get home this time.

I didn't bring my digital gauge but i have an analog gauge that i just recalibrated. It's between 42*-44* just above idle, i topped it off about 2 years ago.

20201016_191203.jpg

Evaporators are known to go in the 4Runners. Require a full dash removal.

The AC was blowing about 50-54 degrees out of the vents and the compressor was constantly cycling. I replaced the compressor, condensor and expansion valve. Then re-charged the system. Now it gets to around 48-50 at best. My 100 series and a GMC Yukon I have all get down to 40-42 according to the same guage I use on the 4Runner. I took it in to a shop and they went over the entire system and said everything is good. I have heard from a few people that the 4Runner AC systems are weak. Does anyone else have this issue with any year 4Runner?
When you installed the new compressor did you drain in first before installing? some of them comes full of oil for the entire system, did you replace the receiver/drier? i was suspecting that your system might be overfilled with oil. Did you use a machine to charge the system or just a pair of gauges?

@vipergrhd - Thanks for the info. The AC is still only getting to the upper 40's. I did make sure the compressor was empty before install, then I filled it.
The shop I took it to after I did the work used a machine to charge it up. I am going to look at a few other things this Winter and hope to get it down to good numbers like your come next Summer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom