2004 LX470 Windshield Replacement in San Jose (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I just had my windshield replaced yesterday by safelite (fairfield ca). When the tech called to tell me he was on the way i asked him if he could make sure he had rivits (not screws) for the side moulding. He had/used them and treated the old rivit holes with "acid treatment" to prevent rust. He was knowledgeable and knew what he was doing. Along the top be of the windshield there seems to be more of a gap than i i expected. Maybe my old (sloppily installed by previous owners installers) windshield had the top channels packed with more adhesive. I havnt drivin it yet, but i will be checking for wind noise and leaks when i do. Also on a side-note, there were some splatter marks of adhesive on my left fender and hood (very small and easy to not see). I cleaned them up after he left (not mad). He told me they gave him a light work day, but when he was working on my truck he understood why.

There was no rust damage from the prior screws (most likely because california car.) I told him that im probably gonna watch, not because im gonna micromanage the ordeal, but because im mechanically interested in how it goes together and curious about the condition of my truck under the old improperly installed windshield (screws were used and the small strip of rubber that covers the rivited section of moulding was installed upside down on my old windshield causing one of the rubber strips to loosen/flap around/fly away on the freeway.)

Well my windshield is incredibly distorted still. I'm pretty sure the Lexus folks lied when they said they replaced the windshield the second time.

Seems off that there would be two sets of OEM Lexus glass with exact manufacturing numbers be distorted. Either way, it hurts my eyes like hell. I'm gonna have to take it back.

I think I'm gonna have to learn how to replace glass soon. Can't be that hard.

Last edited:
Sister had her windshield worked on twice to battle wind noise. Brother in law was dogmatic about it with information he got from club Lexus and here. Finally got the issue cured.

The previous owner had safelite replace the glass apparently. When they replaced my windshield (the first time), they told me the previous installers used the wrong molding... it was "universal fit". The top part wasn't flush with the roof. I'm positive it was the reason I heard a slight vibration at certain high speeds. I'm actually considering buying the tools and doing it myself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom