2004 LC - Removing running boards, tips and pictures (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
After driving my '04 LC for about 15 months I finally decided to pull the running boards. After reading some posts on here I got after it. I'm not the most mechanically inclined guy so forgive my lack of proper terminology. The total time was about an hour but I went in a little blind so it could be accomplished more quickly. As others have mentioned you just need a socket wrench set (see NOTE) and some shop glasses to keep the dirt out of your eyes.

1.) There are 4 L-shaped brackets (per side, scroll down for image) that attach to the body and the boards. The easiest removal of the running boards is to remove the 12mm bolts that attach the brackets to the body of your 100. On my first pass I mistakenly removed the 10mm bolts from the brackets that secure the running board. This will work but it is a waste of time unless you intend on keeping the brackets removed from the boards.

The before image:

IMG_20140825_133446.jpg

This is the WRONG way (IMO)...

IMG_20140825_135254.jpg

2.) You will remove seven total 12mm bolts per side of the vehicle and you will loosen two bolts on the top of the two center brackets. There is one bolt in the wheel well of the back portion of the front wheel well. See image below for a visual on the 4 brackets, the entire running board will slide off without removing those center bolts. Keep in mind you will want to replace all the bolts once the running board is out of the way.

The four brackets from the driver's side of my vehicle:

IMG_20140825_144247.jpg

3.) NOTE: the top bolt on the rear bracket of both sides is quite difficult to remove due to the proximity to a body mount (?). I ended up using a very small socket wrench with a universal joint...

IMG_20140825_142455.jpg

Here is what the passenger side looked like when removed properly...

IMG_20140825_144301.jpg

The obligatory after shots:

IMG_20140825_151307.jpg

IMG_20140825_151359.jpg

4. Don't forget to replace those bolts!

Conclusion: I'm very happy with this modification. The truck instantly looked taller and more like an SUV and less like my family hauler (which is the truth).

I hope this helps.

Thanks for the post, I have an 06 with the boards still on and I wanted to remove them this weekend, perfect timing.

No problem, good luck! There is one other hazard I forgot to mention. Immediately after removing the boards I sort of fell out of my truck the first few times exiting the vehicle. It was quite comical.

Did you bother to take off that weight thingy on the right frame rail just under the right front passenger door?

When I removed my boards, I put the bolts back in the frame to keep mud, rocks, etc out of the frame. A touch of anti-seize on the threads is a good idea.

BTW, if anyone in the DFW area wants my silver boards, just give me a shout.

Did you bother to take off that weight thingy on the right frame rail just under the right front passenger door?
Not me. I bought a second weight to replace the one on the left side that obviously fell off. ;)

Not me. I bought a second weight to replace the one on the left side that obviously fell off. ;)

I don't recall seeing this weight. Anyone have a picture?

Just dropped off my truck with a friend who is a Toyota service mgr, otherwise I would go look.

Do you plan to install front mud flaps?

As of right now I don't intend on adding front flaps. I like the way it looks without. Of course I may change my mind once I encounter some mud or snow later this year.

Decided to finally pull the running boards after 5 years. Thanks @LouKY for the write-up and simple instructions. Before and after shots posted, along with one for the peanut gallery.
IMG_20140905_161629_796.jpg
IMG_20140905_161642_855.jpg
IMG_20140905_164825_445.jpg
IMG_20140905_164812_691.jpg
IMG_20140905_164837_921.jpg

@lhommec13 - I'm glad my post helped out. Your truck is looking good.

Looks good, now flip those tires around black walls out and it will look even better IMO.
Haha, I've had BFG A/T's both ways in the past and have concluded that I like them better with the white lettering on the outside. My brother prefers his BFG A/T's on his JK Wrangler with the black walls out. To each his own!

Once the boards are off and you've removed the "weight thingy", you're ready for the next level in 100 modification...

IMG_1096.jpg
IMG_1097.jpg

Whew... that one's tough. But, if you take your time, follow the instructions very closely... you'll get it.

The results are dramatic! ;)
IMG_6156-1.jpg

@LouKY Thanks for posting this. Exactly what I was looking for. Let me know if you ever decide to replace your bumper covers. I could use a clean set.

100 series Land Cruisers don't have front flaps (even with the running boards removed). The front fenders are tapered somewhat and are "finished," unlike LX470s. The LXs require front flaps, as the trailing edge of each front fender is shaped differently than the LC and looks "unfinished" without the flaps.

Picked up my 100 last weekend, I'm going to pull the running boards this weekend. Thanks for the great write up!

How much would you say the running boards weigh with the brackets?

Picked up my 100 last weekend, I'm going to pull the running boards this weekend. Thanks for the great write up!

How much would you say the running boards weigh with the brackets?

I just shipped a set of LC running boards to another IH8MUD user. Packages weighed ~35lbs total for both running boards and the mounting brackets.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom