2004 Land Cruiser Gauge Cluster FIXED! How-To (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

No close ups but they really do appear identical to the link you posted. Where are you seeing them for $2??
Actually I'm talking with sellers from other platforms, and one tell me 6S and 6G are identical. Now try to figure out the reason of huge price gap between the sellers. One sells at about $16 and the others sell at about $2! Do you happen to have a clear pictures of your motor? both side?

Thanks!

Where are you seeing them for $2??

It's one one of the major China ecomm platform, taobao, kinds of eBay to USA. CNY 10 is less than USD 2 actually.

upload_2018-12-12_22-20-25.png

I’d take a $12 gamble. They look correct.

Yeah, that's what I thought. Now, just back to my track to try to get the cluster out of the house:cautious:

Reading this with great interest. I have a 2004 Toyota landcruiser 100 series UK model and I think it looks the same.Only the rev counter and oil gauge aren't working. Although in the UK I can't imagine it could be caused by hot weather lol. Just looked on Ebay and £22 from China for 2 of the 6S couldn't find the 6G but am I right in thinking I dont need it?
Whilst trawling the internet i have seen someone else say they had a similar problem a while ago, it was a cracked circuit board in the cluster, so it may be worth having a look at this first. What do you think?. The delivery time on the motors is 3 weeks from China and i don't want the car out of action for long.

I’ve been told the 6S and 6G are the same. I’d go for it. Mine have worked flawlessly since my fix.
Reading this with great interest. I have a 2004 Toyota landcruiser 100 series UK model and I think it looks the same.Only the rev counter and oil gauge aren't working. Although in the UK I can't imagine it could be caused by hot weather lol. Just looked on Ebay and £22 from China for 2 of the 6S couldn't find the 6G but am I right in thinking I dont need it?
Whilst trawling the internet i have seen someone else say they had a similar problem a while ago, it was a cracked circuit board in the cluster, so it may be worth having a look at this first. What do you think?. The delivery time on the motors is 3 weeks from China and i don't want the car out of action for long.

@AFei did you end up getting the china ones? Do you have a link?

I recently purchased the 6S and 6G steppers from eBay that were linked in the original post. Still waiting for delivery but will report back.

@AFei did you end up getting the china ones? Do you have a link?
I eventually got some 6S(es) in between, like $6 or so. Just got today. Will post some pictures tomorrow.

Just an update that I finally figured out how to take the cluster out. The problem with mine was the dashboard cover was to tight which held the cluster tight in place. I had to use one hand to push the cover up to release it while pulled the cluster with another hand.

Now try to disassemble it. Pictures to come tomorrow.

All right, finally an update to my story. LX470 use another type of stepper motor :(. It's actually based on the 6S, but has another attachment on top of it which seems to supply the power to the LED embedded in the needle.

Edit 1: Correction, it's not based on 6S actually. The base model is exactly same as 6S except for the shaft is in other direction.

Last edited:
Now I have a box of 10 6S Stepper Motors which I can't use.

Anyone wants them? I'd like to recover some expense to pay for the correct Lexus one which is extremely expensive. The only source I found asks for $45 each:bang:.

I can let them go for $10 for 1+1 (backup), or $22 for 5, or $40 for all 10, plus shipping. I have no way to test them so it's as-is. @caslim @krom

@AFei that's interesting. Have you tried to see if you have separate the two parts?

Yeah, I tried. However, it's very tight and tiny. Don't think I can get it done without damaging it. Now I'm thinking if any other Lexus model may use the same motor, so I can just buy an used cluster to get the motor from it.

Edit 1: Plus, the 6S motor can't be used. As in LX' case, the shaft should come out from the other end.

Very interesting. @AFei thanks for the info. I have an LX as well. So, are we SOL for fixing the cluster then?

Very interesting. @AFei thanks for the info. I have an LX as well. So, are we SOL for fixing the cluster then?

For the time being, I just swapped the existing motors to make sure the speedometer and tachometer working, while seeking possible way to find LX motors. I will start another thread for LX470 cluster repair

At this moment, the tachometer function was restored. the speedometer was half restored, where the needle won't go back from 10. The fuel gauge works and I didn't touch. the oil pressure gauge seems working. the volt meter not working but I guess not important. the coolant temperature gauge not working.

Another thought is to live as-is, but to have a OBDII based display to show other information.

I already bought the steppers indicated in the original post. They are still in route on a boat from China so I won’t have them for another couple weeks. I hope they work for my LC as they were about $22 each. Thank you @AFei

So i'm still waiting for my stepper motors from China , they SHOULD be here in the next week or so. Anyway the other day my Amazon wouldn't quite start due to flat batteries so I put the jump leads on and it fired up straight away and hey presto both my rev counter and my oil pressure gauge burst into life. They stayed on working perfectly until i switched it off 30 minutes later, they have not worked since.
Because of this i wondered if it might be a dodgy earth or something similar but could not see any earths nearby. Does anyone know anything or am I just barking up the wrong tree??

I replaced all 6 steppers on my '05 LC per the directions from the original post. So far so good. Tach now works and all gauges spring to life as expected. I had zero soldering experience prior to this fix and was hoping I didn't melt something in the process but everything is all good as of now. One thing to note, when re-connecting the gauge cluster wiring harness connectors. Tightening the 2 screws that pull the connectors into the cluster didn't quite fully seat the connectors. The screws must have stripped because they just kept turning. The ABS and VSC lights were on and would not go out. I ended up having to manage to get a little pressure on the back of the connectors to fully seat them then the ABS and VSC lights were fine. Many thanks to @dchilds and his write-up for helping me fix a really annoying issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom