2003 HZJ105 in Canada (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Any updates on your purchase? I’m
really considering looking into looking for something like this.

Any updates on your purchase? I’m
really considering looking into looking for something like this.
No major updates. I have been dailying it and have had no issues or regrets. Happy with the 1hz for where I live on Vancouver Island, both for the highways and in the bush. I think a hzj105 would be an ideal rig up in Terrace. Feel free to shoot me a message if you want any more specific info.

My 105 arrives in Vancouver on the 12th if the port strike permits. If you guys have any suggestions for long term, as in years, dry storage in the Vancouver area I would be most grateful. I plan to explore a bit of Canada each year in 'Mrs. White' until she can be imported to the US.

Very cool to see a 105 here in BC. Congratulations 👍
LOL, if you have any suggestions for long term storage I would be most grateful. I am just starting the search now. I think I may post a new thread on the topic of importing to Canada as a non-resident and storage.

if you have any suggestions for long term storage I would be most grateful.
I stored my HDJ80 for about 6 months here:

It's on Vancouver Island, which was fine for me as my truck came into Nanaimo. Large facility, brand new buildings (still under construction when I was last there), clean, temp controlled, secure indoor storage, and reasonable prices. Of course if your truck is coming into Vancouver, you'd need to take the ferry over.

I think I may post a new thread on the topic of importing to Canada as a non-resident and storage.
If you haven't already seen it, there's some info on this topic here:

The import stuff starts at around post #8. If you have any questions about the process, feel free to ask. Happy to help.

@eknomf is a good resource, also.

My 105 arrives in Vancouver on the 12th if the port strike permits. If you guys have any suggestions for long term, as in years, dry storage in the Vancouver area I would be most grateful. I plan to explore a bit of Canada each year in 'Mrs. White' until she can be imported to the US.
Hi John,

Vancouver and Vancouver Island are some of the most desirable parts of Canada, and the land base is limited by mountains/ocean. Therefore storage is somewhat hard to find and more expensive. Also on the coast there’s a high seismic hazard which would maybe factor in for me if I was storing something nice for ~10 years. It might be worthwhile to send it east and inland to somewhere with more land base/less people/lower storage costs. If you are going to try and register, you may want to start with what province lets you register as a non-resident and work back from there. Also, you will pay more to register in B.C. than some provinces without a provincial sales tax. I would probably be looking at Alberta or similar as a first location. You can ship vehicles across Canada for not a terrible price on the train.

@eknomf
You’re completely right, but @John Young can only register the car in BC (or NS) as a non-resident, + it’s the area he’d like to explore more in the future. So without bending the rules (eg registering in BC but storing in AB) or registering under a friends name, we are limited in choice.

Ok, I didn’t realize he could register in BC as a non resident. Do you have a link? I couldn’t find anything with ICBC, but I now have a small child climbing me so my quiet time for the morning has expired.

It’s tough as Steve mentioned, you would have to call around. I’d be looking proximity to the airport for your planned use case, Vancouver and suburbs, Nanaimo (easy access via planes/boats), or Victoria area (international airport). You will also have to get through out of province inspection which can sometimes be a process. Happy to help you guys out if you find somewhere on Vancouver Island.

I didn’t realize he could register in BC as a non resident. Do you have a link?
I don't have a link, but I have my old emails from the Autoplan broker I worked with to do mine. It was a lengthy exchange, but on December 13, 2021 I wrote to her and asked:

Hi Courtney,
Is it possible for me to register my car in BC as a US citizen?
Thanks

And later that same day I received this reply:

Yes you can.

This was at the local Autoplan broker recommended to me by @eknomf in Nanaimo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom