2002 LC100 - Not Starting... ??? Fuel Pump ??? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 2002 Land Cruiser (106K) which will not start. Two days ago, I started it up and in backing up it died and would not start. I waited a few minutes went back out and it started right up. I drove it all day and did not experience any problems again for 24 hours. Once again, I was backing up (cold start) and it once again died but this time its totally dead. BTW, when it was running it did not run poorly.

I headed down to the local Toyota dealer on Friday and they recommended that I check the throttle body, Fuel Pump, EFI Main Relay. I started with the relays/fuel pump. I've been troubleshooting all weekend with my Toyota Manual and have validated/checked the relays (EFI Main Relay, Fuel Pump Relay, etc..) and all tested out. In testing the fuel pump (powered the fuel pump @ the tank directly from the battery), it passed the tests (ohm meter (OK), runs when directly connected to battery) in the manual but I figured I'd see if it was pushing gas as well. I can hear it running but (disconnected the fuel line before the filter) no fuel. I then disconnected the fuel line at the tank and still no gas.

Here is another item that has got me, I decided that I should put it all back together and see if the pump would push gas with the key @ the on position.... It may be super quiet but could not determine if the pump was actually running. I put my hand on top of the pump but could not feel any vibrations...and of course still no gas.

I just filled the tank so I can confirm I do have gas in the tank.

I'm stumped...should I pull the pump and test it outside of the tank? Where do you recommend I go from here.

Yep sounds good I was expecting some gas and so far not a drop. I hit it after work and post findings.

For God's sake replace the friggin EFI Fuse under the hood. Too many folks have wasted thousands on this issue just to find a $.25 fuse to blame.

Not sure if Travis' advice helps. I have a similar issue and all my fuses are fine. I think it's an intermittent fuel pump or possibly the "safety" feature that times out the fuel pump.

I wasn't aware that FJ100 has this feature so I'll be aware more often when this happens. It's a rare problem for me, happening like 2 times a month at most. Although, if I hit the gas pedal after 10 seconds of not starting, the car starts fine.

I haven't pulled the pump yet to test but I've got a lot of other things to do so it's a minor issue when I can get around the problem touching the gas pedal during start.

I pulled the pump and it test out fine. Unfortunately the gas pedal trick doesn't work...the cruiser is totally dead. I've determined that power is not making it to the fuel pump....now just need to determine why. All fuses are good and I've also verified the EFI main relay by swapping it out and trying a different one...no change. I'm continuing down the trail but the manaul is now pushing me to the ECM which I'm crossing my fingers on .... unless someone has a better source .... I think they run around $1000

1) When key is on .... No power to Fuel Pump (pump is good)
2) EFI Relay swapped with no difference in result
3) EFI fuse verified as fine .... I wish it was as easy as a $0.50 fuse
4) Fuel Pump ECU ....checked it but plan to recheck
5) Test ECM....

Check the connection under the vehicle below the drivers rear door. My connector was corroded and caused similar problems.:)

Scott

Runge92, sorry the gas pedal trick isn't working for you. Have you tried a scan code? If I'm right, connecting it while you try to start the truck will give you an error code. You'll should be able to determine: if the computer is good or if the car thinks the problem is at the pump or its ECU.

I think you get these cheap nowadays. Some work with your portable USB device (like an iPhone, laptop or else) and others work as handheld units with displays. I'd run the scanner to find out more details.

I've been looking at the different devices iphone/ipad scan code apps over the past couple of months...maybe this is the opportunity to make the purchase...

I went ahead and picked up a fuel pump ECU as well... based on the electrical schematic it's either the Fuel Pump ECU or ECM... I'll know in a few days

Thanks for the info

Runge92, PM me or update this thread after you replace the pump ECU. I'd like to know what happens here.

Installed a different Fuel Pump ECU and the cruiser fired right up... Now for a few days of testing

can someone please explain (show me) where the EFI fuse is on a 100 land cruiser and how to remove it

The specific location in the engine compartment is shown on page 283 of my '04 owner's manual. It will also be somewhere in your owner's manual. Simple pull and insert.

I have a 2002 Land Cruiser (106K) which will not start. Two days ago, I started it up and in backing up it died and would not start. I waited a few minutes went back out and it started right up. I drove it all day and did not experience any problems again for 24 hours. Once again, I was backing up (cold start) and it once again died but this time its totally dead. BTW, when it was running it did not run poorly.

I headed down to the local Toyota dealer on Friday and they recommended that I check the throttle body, Fuel Pump, EFI Main Relay. I started with the relays/fuel pump. I've been troubleshooting all weekend with my Toyota Manual and have validated/checked the relays (EFI Main Relay, Fuel Pump Relay, etc..) and all tested out. In testing the fuel pump (powered the fuel pump @ the tank directly from the battery), it passed the tests (ohm meter (OK), runs when directly connected to battery) in the manual but I figured I'd see if it was pushing gas as well. I can hear it running but (disconnected the fuel line before the filter) no fuel. I then disconnected the fuel line at the tank and still no gas.

Here is another item that has got me, I decided that I should put it all back together and see if the pump would push gas with the key @ the on position.... It may be super quiet but could not determine if the pump was actually running. I put my hand on top of the pump but could not feel any vibrations...and of course still no gas.

I just filled the tank so I can confirm I do have gas in the tank.

I'm stumped...should I pull the pump and test it outside of the tank? Where do you recommend I go from here.
Did your truck turn over and not fire or did nothing happened when you turned the key? Mine just stopped running and will not turn over.

It's my time to bump this thread to the top. My wife's 100 just quit starting over the Christmas break (she's a school teacher). I tried the EFI fuse and cleaned the contacts. When I spray starting fluid in the intake, it fires up then quits. Obviously not getting fuel. It's been bitter cold here in Utah so I'm thinking maybe water in the fuel filter is frozen and is keeping fuel from reaching the engine.....hoping it's not something expensive as Santa cleaned out my savings. LOL Any thoughts from the gang?

Personally I think it's related to that damn EFI fuse. Mine has it intermittently, still need to make a more permanent fix as I know my trick will cease to work in the near future. I have no idea what it's like to live in real cold, but I'd imagine if you had enough water in your fuel to freeze the filter, then you've got bigger problems. Don't think I've read of any problems like that here on Mud before, but the fuse definitely.

Mine just did the same thing and it was the EFI fuse. I just bought a LC that was not running. Previous owner said it was running fine then until the morning it didn't start. Engine would crank over fine but thats all it would do. I bought it and asked for advise here on mud. I was told to replace the 20 amp EFI fuse with a 30 amp even if the fuse looked good. I did just that and it fired right up and hasn't given me any problems since. However I do keep a few extra fuses in the truck with me now in addition to the spared mounted in the fuse box.

I've had the same efi fuse issue, only if you look around the base of the area where that specific fuse is inserted, the plastic looks like it has actually gotten quite warm. Has anybody else experienced this issue? I hate to just up the amps on the fuse. If the engineers who designed the electrical determined the wiring should be limited to 19.99 amps who am i to say 30 should be ok. Part of why i bought this vehicle was the reliability and i hate to compromise.

Thoughts?

SOLVED! i know its late but for anyone looking in the future, for series !00 land cruisers and Lx470. if you have a crank and no start issue its not the EFI relay, fuse or fuel pump. It's the fuse block in the engine compartment itself. best way to diagnose it, when you have the no start and cranking only issue, have the key in the ignition and position TWO (where the instrument cluster lights up) see if your check engine light up or not. If your ENGINE light comes on, this is not for you. if your ENGINE light is not on, the pin on the fuse block where the EFI relay plugs (bottom right pin) is not getting contact, therefore you have no fuel and and a no start condition. Try jump a a small wire from Battery positive to the bottom right have pin where the EFI RELAY plugs in with the relay and start the car, should guide you to where the problem sits its upto you on how you solve it with a new fuse block or just finding a way to put contacts for the relay don't throw $$$$$ at the EFI relay or pump etc. i have seen too many people here being misguided i cannot stand it anymore

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom