2000 LX470 - fuel cutting out? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi, looks like I will have to take my 2000 LX to the dealer on Monday for repair, am hoping someone can provide some insight so I can go more informed when I take it in. Yesterday, truck was running fine. This morning, started it up and noticed some slight stuttering while reversing and driving away, and a rough idle, my first thought was bad gas. Put tranny in N, and revved, and still felt the slight stuttering. Took it on highway and truck started to shake on accelerating, kind of like out of balance wheel. Would smooth out at 60mph when giving minimal gas for cruising, but once on the pedal would stutter and shake and provide minimal acceleration. After about 10 minutes, the check engine light started flashing, so I turned around and headed home. Every now and then check engine light would stop flashing, but was on by the time I got home. Could this be a fuel pump issue? I am hoping not a transmission issue, but truck has almost 250k on it. Any insight would be real helpful. Hopefully the fact that check engine light is on can allow dealer to make the diagnostic quickly.

thanks

It is mis firing, a flashing check engine light means stop driving ASAP, you either need a tune up or have a bad coil or two.
AutoZone will read your check engine light for free and then you will be able to see if the shop is telling you the truth.

Under acceleration or hard throttle requires more fuel and a stronger spark, weal spark will flood the spark and cause mis fires which causes rough running.

Have the check engine code read.

If it is a miss-firing could be loose spark plug or one or more of the 8 coils are bad.

It could also be some simple like rats crewed on the engine harness wires.

It is hard to tell for sure without the error codes.

I recommend getting a cheap obdII reader from ebay/amazon and using the Torque app.
Otherwise, any parts store should be happy to pull the code for you.

I recommend getting a cheap obdII reader from ebay/amazon and using the Torque app.
Otherwise, any parts store should be happy to pull the code for you.
Good idea, bought one today and came up with code P0304. Then I erased code, started car, still stuttered but no check engine light so will hope it is in cylinder 4 (which is on passenger side, 2nd from headlights if I read diagram correctly). I took off airbox, pulled the coil, and have ordered new coil and plug. Hopefully it is as simple as that. I appreciate the feedback greatly, thanks.

You want to replace all your spark plugs, then clear the code and drive, if it still runs rough and the CEL comes back then replace the coil's as needed. But spark plugs should all be replaced at the same time.

I had this problem on LX470 2002. Looked at some different forums, some recommended changing the Fuel pump which I did (after the fuel filter and cleaning the throttle body, and MAF). It did the trick. I couldn't find a good kit from Denso, so I went with DELPHI or whatever the best product was on ROCK AUTO. It was great!

Denso (as of recently) no longer makes a 100 series pump. Have to buy an Aisin at the dealer (if you can stomach the price) to get the real thing. Glad your substitute one is working well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom