2000 LX 4 pin trailer plug, converting to 7 pin (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Well, grab a multimeter and see what the pins do. That'll give you a definitive answer.

I’m getting ready to do the 4pin to 7pin conversion too. I have a BIOR rear bumper. Planning on going with a
7-Way RV Upgrade Kit for Trailer Brake Controller Installation - 12 Gauge Wires
Item # ETBC7L

from etrailer.com and a Curt Echo. I already have a 4pin. Seems like a fairly easy install

Hhmm does look pretty easy plugs into the 4pin, hard wire to the battery and connect to your trailer brakes?

Might I suggest a converter from 4 pin to give you 4 and 7 pin outputs on the same mounting bracket? Awfully useful.

Also, @TMoney10 you'd need to tap a reverse bulb wire too.

It's nice to hook it up anyways. You never know; maybe you help a buddy tow something that does have reverse lights at some point.

Might I suggest a converter from 4 pin to give you 4 and 7 pin outputs on the same mounting bracket? Awfully useful.
I agree. I used the 4-pin connector, and always had problems with it. If the pins oxidize or get gunk in them, the 7-pin won't work, and you might end up chasing your tail for awhile. I ended up hard wiring to the 7-pin plug, and getting a 7-to-4 pin adapter to use when needed.

Okay so I ordered a 7pin adapter and some generic wiring and a brake controller and some circuit breaker a 20amp for the brake controller

And a 40amp for the 12v battery to 7pin super easy to hook up as these will all be connected to the battery.

Everything works great and no issues thanks for the photos to make this so easy now I can tow with my LC with a brake controller
IMG_20200820_084902.jpg
IMG_20200820_084904.jpg

Last edited:
I’m getting ready to do the 4pin to 7pin conversion too. I have a BIOR rear bumper. Planning on going with a
7-Way RV Upgrade Kit for Trailer Brake Controller Installation - 12 Gauge Wires
Item # ETBC7L

from etrailer.com and a Curt Echo. I already have a 4pin. Seems like a fairly easy install
How is the Curt Echo working for you? I am thinking of the same setup for my 99 lx.

Bump… I need to install a 7 pin receiver to tow a trailer with electric brakes.

I’ll be using a Bluetooth brake controller.

My understanding is I need something like this to convert the 4 pin to 7 pin:

Amazon product ASIN B001EP0HPI
What I’m not sure is if I’m not wiring a brake controller do I just follow the step in post #7 to connect power to the brake signal and leave the other wires unused?

Is there an easier way to do this? I have a 2000 so I can’t make my own oe style harness like Toyota sells.

Bump… I need to install a 7 pin receiver to tow a trailer with electric brakes.

I’ll be using a Bluetooth brake controller.

My understanding is I need something like this to convert the 4 pin to 7 pin:

What I’m not sure is if I’m not wiring a brake controller do I just follow the step in post #7 to connect power to the brake signal and leave the other wires unused?

Is there an easier way to do this? I have a 2000 so I can’t make my own oe style harness like Toyota sells.
I’m in the same boat. Just a got a trailer with 7-pin and e-brakes but a little hesitant about the wiring described here.

I’m in the same boat. Just a got a trailer with 7-pin and e-brakes but a little hesitant about the wiring described here.
You too @JunkCrzr89 say it ain't soo. But I am sure its not the hardest thing to tackle.

Since i'm renting our RV for our trip and don't plan on installing a hard mounted brake controller, I purchased one of these:

After speaking to CURT tech support, they gave me some really simply install instructions IF using a bluetooth brake controller:

Black Wire - To + battery terminal with (30) Amp Fuse
White - Ground
Blue - Leave taped off
Yellow - Leave taped off, don't plan on doing a ton of reversing

If you want to install a hard wired brake controller, below is a good video with insturctions:

Since i'm renting our RV for our trip and don't plan on installing a hard mounted brake controller, I purchased one of these:

After speaking to CURT tech support, they gave me some really simply install instructions IF using a bluetooth brake controller:

Black Wire - To + battery terminal with (30) Amp Fuse
White - Ground
Blue - Leave taped off
Yellow - Leave taped off, don't plan on doing a ton of reversing

If you want to install a hard wired brake controller, below is a good video with insturctions:

1657288391007.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom