2000 FJ100 Purchase Advice - Rust (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi, all you mudders! I currently have an 86 FJ60 but have a line on 2000 FJ100 that I wouldn't mind adding to the collection. The only issue is that it was born and (very lovingly) raised in Connecticut so has some rust on the undercarriage. I would mainly use this as my drive-to-the-train car (approx 4 miles a few times a week) and around town car. I also wouldn't mind driving it for a while and then parting it out 5-7 years from now and/or undergoing any rust mitigation/repair/removal along the way. The body is virtually perfect. But what does everyone thing about the below (and disclaimer, I'm a Cruiser guy but I'm not mechanically inclined, so I don't know what all I'm looking at, what's replaceable or reparable, etc.). I really appreciate any thoughts or advice.

IMG_4259.jpg
IMG_4259.jpg
IMG_4257.jpg
IMG_4254.jpg
IMG_4252.jpg
IMG_4251.jpg
IMG_4250.jpg
IMG_4249.jpg
IMG_4248.jpg
IMG_4247.jpg
IMG_4245.jpg

That *UZJ100* is gonna be a money pit at some point. But if you’re just going to drive it a few miles a day, and don’t care about stuff breaking off because of rust, then does it really matter? I would never buy that one, but maybe that rust is OK for you Nor’easters...

Rust seems to be a strong matter of opinion here, but that near complete erosion of the skid plate around the fuel tank looks pretty bad IMHO. I would really look up under the rear bumper and wheel wells very closely. It seem crud can accumulate there and eat into the metal and could give you a deeper glimpse into how rough it is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom