200 Series Tire and Wheel Size Database (35 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Gaijin, a new size was just released from Nitto Recon Grappler. 295/70R18 116S. I’d like to know the RCTIP but also your thoughts on this load weight. I only have a 12.5g LRA as additional aftermarket weight and don’t plan on towing anytime soon. Just want to make sure it’s appropriate load tire for our 200’s. Thank you 😊
  • Tread Depth: 13.7
  • Inflated Dimensions - Overall Dia (in):34.29
  • Inflated Dimensions - Overall Width (in):11.77
  • Approved Rim: 7.5-(8.5)-10.0
  • Maximum Load (lbs.) @ Press. (PSI):2756 @ 44
  • Weight: 52.49

It looks like there is no issue with Load Limit, but I'd need more info to give you a RCTIP.

Here's the tire info on the Nitto site: Nitto Recon Grappler A/T Info

I can't tell whether the ISO-Metric 295/70R18 116S tire is an SL or XL tire - the tire data is cofusing. Based on Max Inflation it might be an XL, but there is no * next to the size to designate that size as XL.

Tell me which it is and I can give you a RCTIP.

HTH
going to cross this out since it’s probably incorrect.

I don't have a dog in this fight....but in the interest of safety.

I personally wouldn't use the SL rating for that tire. In the ISO metric system each load rating (116 in this case) has the same load coverage whether the tire is XL or SL (1830lbs - 2756 lbs). The only difference between the two load tables is that the RCTIPs are distributed across a range for 22-36PSI for SL and 22-42PSI for XL tires. Since Nitto rates the tires at a max load of 44PSI (why bother sticking to standards right?), I would certainly use the XL rating before i used the SL rating...and one could even argue that you should use the XL rating plus 2PSI (rounding here of course) to account for the higher PSI for the Max Load Rating of that specific tire.

If it were me, I'd use at least 38 PSI (maybe 38+2PSI) as my starting point if i wanted to continue with the RCTIP guidelines.

Last edited:
Yes. I am using Load and Inflation Tables Version 2020-7, available here: Load and Inflation Tables v.2020-07

HTH

My first thought when you posted this was "Yay, I don't have to ever bug gaijin about my tire pressure." Then when I tried to read it I realized 1. I don't own a slide ruler 2. I do not have a Ph.D in Mechanical Engineering and 3. this is why I went to law school.

I don't have a dog in this fight....but in the interest of safety.

I personally wouldn't use the SL rating for that tire. In the ISO metric system each load rating (116 in this case) has the same load coverage whether the tire is XL or SL (1830lbs - 2756 lbs). The only difference between the two load tables is that the RCTIPs are distributed across a range for 22-36PSI for SL and 22-42PSI for XL tires. Since Nitto rates the tires at a max load of 44PSI (why bother sticking to standards right?), I would certainly use the XL rating before i used the SL rating...and one could even argue that you should use the XL rating plus 2PSI (rounding here of course) to account for the higher PSI for the Max Load Rating of that specific tire.

If it were me, I'd use at least 38 PSI (maybe 38+2PSI) as my starting point if i wanted to continue with the RCTIP guidelines.
The Recon SL is a 7ply tire if that makes a difference.

Do you mean the Toyo Open Country A/T III P285/70R17 117T SL? And are they going on your LX570?

If so:

The RCTIP for those P285/70R17 tires on your LX570 is 26psi F/R.

HTH
Yes sir, I'm sorry for the incomplete data - senior moment I guess. So 26psi front and rear axle? Interesting and surprising to me. Seems low but I'll give it a shot. I guess makes sense with so many running E load range tires at 36-38psi. Thank you very much for your assistance!

Yes sir, I'm sorry for the incomplete data - senior moment I guess. So 26psi front and rear axle? Interesting and surprising to me. Seems low but I'll give it a shot. I guess makes sense with so many running E load range tires at 36-38psi. Thank you very much for your assistance!

If it makes you feel any more comfortable...

Your 2008 LX570 came stock with P285/50R20 111V tires with an RCTIP of 33psi F/R. That yields a Load Limit per tire of 2315 lbs.

Those P285/70R17 117T SL tires with an RCTIP of 26psi F/R have a Load Limit per tire of 2480 lbs. - that's 165 lbs more per tire than stock.

FYI

HTH

If it makes you feel any more comfortable...

Your 2008 LX570 came stock with P285/50R20 111V tires with an RCTIP of 33psi F/R. That yields a Load Limit per tire of 2315 lbs.

Those P285/70R17 117T SL tires with an RCTIP of 26psi F/R have a Load Limit per tire of 2480 lbs. - that's 165 lbs more per tire than stock.

FYI

HTH
Ok good stuff! I was thinking load limit was around 2888 per tire but maybe that is at max psi? Good to know that even at 26 psi there is an increase in load limit over stock!

Last edited:
OK, assuming it is an SL:

The RCTIP for those 295/70R18 116S tires on your LC200 is 29psi F/R.

HTH

***** CORRECTION *****

The RCTIP for those 295/70R18 116S tires on your LC200 is 33psi F/R.

I inadvertently did my original calculations based on the LT-Metric Load Limit requirement of 2286 lbs where the P-Metric Load Limit requirement of 2512 lbs should have been used.

Sorry for any confusion.
Is that 33 for the land cruiser or for the lx570? Both?

I said LC200 and I meant LC200. The URJ201/LX570 would be different.

HTH
What would the tire pressure for 295/70R18 116S for the lx570 be?

The Recon SL is a 7ply tire if that makes a difference.
My guess is “7-ply” is marketing speak.. you’ll be hard pressed to find a tire that is more than 3-ply in reality these days. For context... C-rated tires in LT are 6-ply equivalent… so if they are telling you it’s 7-ply… then they are inferring it lands between a C Rated and D Rated LT tire..

My guess is “7-ply” is marketing speak.. you’ll be hard pressed to find a tire that is more than 3-ply in reality these days. For context... C-rated tires in LT are 6-ply equivalent… so if they are telling you it’s 7-ply… then they are inferring it lands between a C Rated and D Rated LT tire..
The person I spoke with named off the materials making up the ply’s to equal 7 ply. I’m no expert but if it falls between a C and D rated tire that should be good enough for my current use of 95% highway driving, correct?

Update: just checked over on the Ford F-150 forum and someone who owns them said it’s a 4ply tire. I guess I’ll see when they arrive in OCT. 4 and report back.
My guess is “7-ply” is marketing speak.. you’ll be hard pressed to find a tire that is more than 3-ply in reality these days. For context... C-rated tires in LT are 6-ply equivalent… so if they are telling you it’s 7-ply… then they are inferring it lands between a C Rated and D R

Last edited:
So I assume tire load limit is basically total weight divided by 4? With some consideration to weight distribution? So if i am 10,000lbs I need at least 2500 per tire? Or is there more to it?

The person I spoke with named off the materials making up the ply’s to equal 7 ply. I’m no expert but if it falls between a C and D rated tire that should be good enough for my current use of 95% highway driving, correct?

Update: just checked over on the Ford F-150 forum and someone who owns them said it’s a 4ply tire. I guess I’ll see when they arrive in OCT. 4 and report back.
Well.. if it’s 4-ply and sL rated even though the max PSI is 44PSI.. someone should right a paper on it.. because that is all well out of the norms of conventional standards.. Progress may be a-brewing.. but we will see..

(I’ll add, if some guy on a Ford forum said it was 4-ply, he may have been attempting to adapt the LT standard to it because of the 44PSI max load rating)

I would have no qualms about using a SL tire. It's certainly no worse and possibly more robust than the OEM tire based on the load index. There's no safety here. Whether that will meet individual expectations or enthusiasts usage outside of stock parameters, is a separate question.

I would take RCTIP with a grain of salt. It's a good cross check and starting basis, but is not all encompassing. It does not for instance address handling and stability. Only that the tire carcass will not overheat given said load. 26PSI IMO is way low for a tall profile tire like that, that will risk sidewall rollover in a more dynamic handling maneuver. At worse, possibly even lose a bead. I would recommend 30-35PSI is a better ballpark.

I would have no qualms about using a SL tire. It's certainly no worse and possibly more robust than the OEM tire based on the load index. There's no safety here. Whether that will meet individual expectations or enthusiasts usage outside of stock parameters, is a separate question.

I would take RCTIP with a grain of salt. It's a good cross check and starting basis, but is not all encompassing. It does not for instance address handling and stability. Only that the tire carcass will not overheat given said load. 26PSI IMO is way low for a tall profile tire like that, that will risk sidewall rollover in a more dynamic handling maneuver. At worse, possibly even lose a bead. I would recommend 30-35PSI is a better ballpark.
I agree.. I’ve tried to state my hesitance to all this being nonsense.. but my point is if you are going to adhere to it.. pretending like a tire with a Max rated PSI of 44 PSI is a SL tire doesn’t make much sense.. in theory, these posts are trying to get to the nitty gritty of the “posted” RCTIP.. so I was just trying to point out the folly of using the RCTIP from a SL tire when it seems to be rated as a XL..

I will say.. somehow this conversation is passing through two different long standing threads.. so who knows what anyone is talking about..

Last edited:
Based on the information from Nitto, I think it’s an sl
Apparently Toyo/Nitto rates most (maybe all) of its SL tires to 44 PSI and XL to 50 PSI, so I guess everything I said above is non sense and Toyo just sets a buffer between max load and max inflation, so you can go to 44 psi, but your load carrying ability doesn’t change after 36 psi. It’s the same 8 psi buffer on XL, as max load is reached at 42psi, but can go up to 50.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom