200 series rust before and after treatment - opinions? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Before

WhatsApp Image 2023-09-08 at 10.29.23.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2023-09-08 at 10.29.27.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2023-09-08 at 10.29.33.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2023-09-08 at 10.29.37.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2023-09-08 at 10.29.42.jpeg

So it's a car in EU I am considering buying. Do you think the rust was too much before? Should I look for another option?

So it's a car in EU I am considering buying. Do you think the rust was too much before? Should I look for another option?
It's not too much rust to operate, but if you have a less rusty option available, it will be much easier to work on. With that much rust, you will be breaking any bolts that you may choose to remove...working on rusty rigs is a pain in the *ss. It's good that it has been treated, but it will still be a major pain to remove any bolts down there. If body rust materializes, that's a whole other can of worms.

I'd pass, if you can find a similar deal without as much "iron-oxide patina".

Not the worst, but I would try to find a better example. I think the before photos might actually make it look better than it really was...

Thanks for the input guys.
Tough to find low rust in Europe.

How about this one? I know it's tough to see as camera is a bit blurry... but this one is actually 20% more expensive than the first one I posted:

It's for sale for €60,000 - has 100.000 miles on it
Both are the 4.5L diesel so of course they were a bit more expensive when new than the 5.7L petrol

This rig is fairly crusty. True, it should still theoretically last a long time with the present rust, but why buy one that has that much rust in the first place? When buying a cruiser, patience is key to find a good one (easily 3-6 months of waiting). Near the top of the list would be finding one with relatively little rust (and this is not one of those)

This is a pass for me

Edit - looking at even the front skid plates, the skid plates have copious amounts of cancer on them where even doing a simple oil change will most likely result in broken skid plate bolts.

Reactions: BVE
FWIW mine is a little less rusted than the before pictures and I have had zero issues taking anything apart on the LC. It has all come apart very easily as if it's not rusted at all. When I had a 4Runner before this, it ended up being a nightmare with breaking bolts. Everything was rusting together way worse than the LC at a similar age.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom