20 year old timing belt (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The non-VVTi engines are non-interference.

Here's my question. Hopefully you wouldn't drive on 20 year old rubber tires so why would you trust a 20 year old rubber belt? You can purchase the entire aisin kit for under $200. You can follow OTRAMM's youtube videos and do it yourself. It's really not that hard of a job if take your time. I just wouldn't chance a 20k vehicle on a $200 timing belt job. But that's me.

I wish I was mechanically inclined, I would've done it yesterday! I appreciate your advice! :)

I’ve heard of a handful broken belts but none that resulted in a trashed engine. Who knows of a 2uz that died from a busted belt?

The non-VVTi engines are non-interference.

This seems to be the consensus, if it breaks, which I highly doubt, will tow it to the nearest garage and put a new belt 👍

I love that you have one with so low-miles and you are not stressed about it. Most people with low mileage rigs treat them like collector cars and barely use them.

I love that you have one with so low-miles and you are not stressed about it. Most people with low mileage rigs treat them like collector cars and barely use them.

Haha I was worried somewhat until I opened the cover! I see rebels and militias all over the world operating their TOYOTAs in extreme conditions and I highly doubt they follow TOYOTA's recommended service intervals yet their trucks keep going ... my 100 will be fine, everything looks new! :)

1649809440026.jpg

Last edited:
Here's my question. Hopefully you wouldn't drive on 20 year old rubber tires so why would you trust a 20 year old rubber belt? You can purchase the entire aisin kit for under $200. You can follow OTRAMM's youtube videos and do it yourself. It's really not that hard of a job if take your time. I just wouldn't chance a 20k vehicle on a $200 timing belt job. But that's me.
I'm agreeable here. I am doing it and going to use OTRAMM as my guide. I think if you can do the timing belt and water pump, amongst other services, then it really becomes your truck. You own it.

My 2002 LX470 is 21 years old and still has the original Timing Belt. She just turn 68K miles.
Always garaged and pampered.
I too am delaying Timing Belt replacement till 90K or if the Water Pump becomes noisy or leaking.
I'm leary of letting a mechanic "ham fist" my 100, so either I will look for someone I trust or do it myself.
Unfortunately, I'm 75 years old and have only done a Timing Belt one time in my life - on an Isuzu Trooper.
If it comes time to deal with the Water Pump, I'll have to give the decision some serious assessment.

Going to replace mine soon at 220k - owned since 210k - how can one tell if belt is original? Thank you!

My 2002 LX470 is 21 years old and still has the original Timing Belt. She just turn 68K miles.
Always garaged and pampered.
I too am delaying Timing Belt replacement till 90K or if the Water Pump becomes noisy or leaking.
I'm leary of letting a mechanic "ham fist" my 100, so either I will look for someone I trust or do it myself.
Unfortunately, I'm 75 years old and have only done a Timing Belt one time in my life - on an Isuzu Trooper.
If it comes time to deal with the Water Pump, I'll have to give the decision some serious assessment.

Nice, you owned it since new?
I agree with you, but at least check the belt visually to see how it looks, very easy! :)

Going to replace mine soon at 220k - owned since 210k - how can one tell if belt is original? Thank you!
If the timing belt brand name/number is still visible this could suggest it's original if the info matches up with OEM.
For instance, my '97 Subaru timing belt replaced last year said Mitsubishi on it. Original, no doubt.

Original Toyota belt should be Mitsuboshi

My 06 is on its 3rd timing belt
My 99 is on its 4th.
My son’s 00 is about due for its 3rd.

In my driveway, they get changed every 7 years, 90k miles, or with a weeping water pump.

Can they last longer than that, sure, but a planned “outage” is much more convenient (and less expensive) than a broken belt in the middle of a road trip (or even on the way to work).

YMMV

Nice, you owned it since new?
I agree with you, but at least check the belt visually to see how it looks, very easy! :)

I purchased it 10 years ago with 24K miles. Best most quality built vehicle I've ever owned.
Do you remove the right timing belt cover to take a peek?
Is it difficult?

My 99 is on its 4th.

In my driveway, they get changed every 7 years, 90k miles, or with a weeping water pump.

Can they last longer than that, sure, but a planned “outage” is much more convenient (and less expensive) than a broken belt in the middle of a road trip (or even on the way to work).

YMMV
Wow! that's a lot of timing belt jobs! Does it get easier/quicker every time?

My 99 is on its 4th.

YMMV

Wow, you guys drive a lot of miles!🙂

I purchased it 10 years ago with 24K miles. Best most quality built vehicle I've ever owned.
Do you remove the right timing belt cover to take a peek?
Is it difficult?

It's easy, 10mm or 12mm if my memory is correct! I removed the side opposite of the air intake since it is more accessible 👍🏼

Wow! that's a lot of timing belt jobs! Does it get easier/quicker every time?
At this point it has gotten quicker and easier…

I drop it off at my favorite independent shop, and when I come back ***POOF*** it’s done. Maybe it’s not the cheapest way to get it done, but it is quick & easy 😁

Wow, you guys drive a lot of miles!🙂
Actually not all that much.

The 06 belts were changed for a leaking water pump, and age, it’s got less than 115k miles, but I’ve owned it 17 years.

The 99 has been changed for mileage. It has 270k miles.

The 00 has been changed for mileage/age, and is about due for mileage/age. It has ~170k mi.

Actually not all that much.

The 06 belts were changed for a leaking water pump, and age, it’s got less than 115k miles, but I’ve owned it 17 years.

The 99 has been changed for mileage. It has 270k miles.

The 00 has been changed for mileage/age, and is about due for mileage/age. It has ~170k mi.

Regarding the 06, what are the components that I should expect to stop working on mine because of age in spite of the low mileage?
Have you replaced your starter yet or the alternator during the 17 years?

Regarding the 06, what are the components that I should expect to stop working on mine because of age in spite of the low mileage?
Have you replaced your starter yet or the alternator during the 17 years?
Mechanically not all that much. Off the top of my head:
Steering rack bushings.
Water pump.
O2 sensors.
Radiator.
Heater Ts.
Hoses, belts & misc rubber bits.
Fluids
Tires
Brake pads & rotors.

Still on original starter and alternator on that one.

Mechanically not all that much. Off the top of my head:
Steering rack bushings.
Water pump.
O2 sensors.
Radiator.
Heater Ts.
Hoses, belts & misc rubber bits.
Fluids
Tires
Brake pads & rotors.

Still on original starter and alternator on that one.

Thank you!

How about ur transmission fluid on all 3 vehicles? Drain and fill, or complete flush?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom