20 year old timing belt (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Thank you!

How about ur transmission fluid on all 3 vehicles? Drain and fill, or complete flush?
I’m not a huge fan of the flush. Finally did a partial drain & fill on the 06 (no dipstick, “lifetime fill” according to the dealer), and it looked much worse than I expected (and the dealer was full of s*** on the “lifetime fill”).

I’m not a huge fan of the flush. Finally did a partial drain & fill on the 06 (no dipstick, “lifetime fill” according to the dealer), and it looked much worse than I expected (and the dealer was full of s*** on the “lifetime fill”).

Lifetime is open to interpretation, some think it is the life of the vehicle, some think it is 100k, it is very vague!
Mine has a dipstick so I plan to do it every 20k miles. Very cheap and easy! :)

Lifetime is open to interpretation, some think it is the life of the vehicle, some think it is 100k, it is very vague!
Mine has a dipstick so I plan to do it every 20k miles. Very cheap and easy! :)
Wait. You will do trans fluid every 20k but you are good with an older than dirt belt??? 🧐🧐🧐🧐🧐🧐🧐🧐🧐🧐

Wait. You will do trans fluid every 20k but you are good with an older than dirt belt??? 🧐🧐🧐🧐🧐🧐🧐🧐🧐🧐

Yes, transmission fluid gets dirty and I can easily service it myself. It has to stay clean.

The older than dirt belt has been proven to go over 200k miles no problem with conditions much worse than mine, and costs a lot to service it. If it breaks, will put a new one, don't worry!

Yes, transmission fluid gets dirty and I can easily service it myself. It has to stay clean.

The older than dirt belt has been proven to go over 200k miles no problem with conditions much worse than mine, and costs a lot to service it. If it breaks, will put a new one, don't worry!
Maybe I am a little risk averse (and cynical), from a lifetime in IT, but I wouldn’t choose my services, on a 16-25 year old vehicle, based on their ease and cost, then again I prefer “controlled failures”, or “preventative maintenance”, that nobody really notices.

In my day job, “Surprise! The fecal material has just made contact with the oscillating air circulation device.” is considered a bad thing.

Again YMMV, based on your “risk allergy”, and pocketbook depth.

If you have a YouTube channel, the excitement/suspense might add viewership 😁

If your tranny fluid gets dirty within 20k miles, I say you have other issues. Most tranny fluid is clean after 200k miles.

If your tranny fluid gets dirty within 20k miles, I say you have other issues. Most tranny fluid is clean after 200k miles.

To clarify, I meant a simple drain and fill, not a complete flush. I did it last week at 80k, looked burgundy which is good, but I don't mind spending $30 on 3 liters every 20k miles, that is maybe every 5 years for me!🙂

Considering that I get a “sales intervention”, if I take one of my LXs to the Lexus dealership, yes, their idea of “lifetime” is different from mine…

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom