2 very specific clunks (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi All,

I've read a few different threads with dozens of possible reasons for driveline clunk. Hopefully my symptoms might help someone give me a a few more specific pointers on where to start.

UZJ100 is low miileage (100k kms) RHD with a Slee 2.5 lift and front diff drop, but no panhard correction (bar is only 2.5" above parallel on the body side). Aftermarket 33" x 12.5 wheels are silly heavy at 100lbs per corner (on the list to go back to thinner 33s on OEM rims when tyre prices normalize.).

Clunk 1. happens when I roll over a speed bump, and apply the throttle (even gently) before the rear wheels have come down the offslope. If I roll over completely off throttle, then accelerate after, then no clunk. But if the rear wheels compress slightly under acceleration as they leave the speed bump, then the clunk is there!

I was wondering if even the tiny sideways movement due to the panhard not being flat level might be causing a bind - all ideas welcome, or if someone has has this same exact issue and solved it!

Clunk 2. is much lighter, and feels like somewhere in the steering column. On tight right turns over bumps, or when unlocking steering lock, there seems to be a bit of loose play and little clunk as something moves near right hand lock, and takes up a small amount of slack under tension. Again, any pointers on where to focus attention would be great. I've tried moving the rack etc. and seems solid from underneath.

Thanks for any help in advance.

Dom

Hi All,

I've read a few different threads with dozens of possible reasons for driveline clunk. Hopefully my symptoms might help someone give me a a few more specific pointers on where to start.

UZJ100 is low miileage (100k kms) RHD with a Slee 2.5 lift and front diff drop, but no panhard correction (bar is only 2.5" above parallel on the body side). Aftermarket 33" x 12.5 wheels are silly heavy at 100lbs per corner (on the list to go back to thinner 33s on OEM rims when tyre prices normalize.).

Clunk 1. happens when I roll over a speed bump, and apply the throttle (even gently) before the rear wheels have come down the offslope. If I roll over completely off throttle, then accelerate after, then no clunk. But if the rear wheels compress slightly under acceleration as they leave the speed bump, then the clunk is there!

I was wondering if even the tiny sideways movement due to the panhard not being flat level might be causing a bind - all ideas welcome, or if someone has has this same exact issue and solved it!

Clunk 2. is much lighter, and feels like somewhere in the steering column. On tight right turns over bumps, or when unlocking steering lock, there seems to be a bit of loose play and little clunk as something moves near right hand lock, and takes up a small amount of slack under tension. Again, any pointers on where to focus attention would be great. I've tried moving the rack etc. and seems solid from underneath.

Thanks for any help in advance.

Dom
Rear sounds like it could be the sway bar links/bushings. Had the exact same sound and situation, rear bushings toast McGee.

Front could be tie rod ends, or ball joints. Both of those would be the first things I check in the front for that.

I've had clunk #1 from a loose rear bolt on my rear LCA

Front sway bushes are due if not desperate for replacement (looked at them first for the steering knock), so rears may be also. I have to admit I didn't look at those specifically as I never get the same driveline clunk in any other situation (bar is not under any side-side torsion as the clunk happens), and from XP sway bar bushes will knock whenever one side is deflected. And it "feels" like driveline, if that makes sense. only as accelerating. Will def check rear LCAs as that's not something I would have thought of 👍.

For the steering I've had a bit of a pull around the tie rods and visual around ball joints but probably need to get a bar on there and do that properly with real leverage to check movement. No grease leaking or other bad signs. Had to do them on every Surf I've owned though, and doesn't "feel" like that type of clunk. It's more like it's in the column itself.

Should get time on Sat to prod further...

Could be diff bushings, steering rack bushings, trans mount, sway bar bushings...etc. IMO just start replacing rubber. You can't go wrong. After 20 years even if it's intact, it is hard.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom