1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2 part poly foam

Discussion in '40- & 55-Series Tech' started by cavsfj40, Mar 14, 2004.

1. cavsfj40

cavsfj40

i want to make some molds of my amby doors and front doors before they rust out. i think that the foam would be the ticket. i need a couple gallons for this i fugure, but i have no idea where to get it. i guess i could look, but i thought maybe one of you guys would know

2. Kief

Kief

What kind of foam? Like the kind they use to fill voids in boats that keeps them from sinking?

3. cavsfj40

cavsfj40

yeah, just you basic 2 part closed cell poly. i found a mairne supply place but they seem a little steep. any ideas what else i can use to make these molds?

4. Kief

Kief

You could use casting plaster, urethane foam that comes in a can or fiberglass/resin/bondo. Sounds like an interesting project.

5. cavsfj40

cavsfj40

yeah. i have some experience working with fiberglass but nothing this serious. built a small boat hull w/it and thats about it. i am thinking after i get the molds made, i might just take it to the boat shop and get them to do the spray glassing instead of laying the fibers. it depends. it would be decent tho and if i get the molds right, it would be alot cheaper than buying, and i could do carbon fiber for sh!ts and giggles.

6. dogboy

dogboy

RTV silicone makes some excellent molds as well. Don't know about cost on that kind of volume though, but it captures details very well.

just my 2ยข,
    -dogboy- '87 FJ60