2 hole exhaust flange set up help (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

kcisland

SILVER Star
Threads
Fellow Mudders,

Can someone show me a close up picture of their exhaust flange? The exhaust when I bought my 1970 40 was fubar and I didn't take good enough pictures so I don't know how it goes back together.

Here it was originally with broken ears on the manifold and a chain holding it together!

20171112_154911.jpg

So I picked up a new one from Mark at Mark’s Offroad

20190202_085732.jpg

I know I still need to pick up a gasket/donut between the two, but doing a rough dry fit the down pipe flange doesn't line up.

20200126_134812.jpg

The middle of the flange hits the manifold before I can get the nut started on the bolt. Is it the wrong flange? I found a picture on another thread that shows the entire flange over the manifold lip so is there a wider flange? This flange is the same size as the manifold.

20200126_134736.jpg

@kcisland
Mark Jennings is correct. Your exhaust pipe is wrong. The correct pipe isn't flared, like yours, but has a flat flange on which the gasket (shown below) sits.

1580094433669.png

1580094832308.png

If anyone has a nice close up picture of one that would be awesome. I can fab my own that way. Otherwise I will just trace the bottom of the manifold and CNC one out of 3/8" steel.

SRO on line catalog kind of shows it. If you use a muffler shop, get it bent so it goes above the skid plate. That’s how the early models were routed.

Just an idea that worked for me...since the 76 flange is NLA, I attached a 78 exhaust flange to the 2 hole manifold with the Stock O ring. Then I fabricated a 2 pipe flat flange and attached it to that exhaust flange using the 78 2 hole 3 bolt gasket. Next, the two down pipes were joined into a 2 into 1 y pipe and attached to the single exhaust pipe. I know this sounds confusing but it was really easy. Please excuse the welding in the pics. I’m just finishing up rebuilding the motor so that’s why it’s disassembled but I’ve been running this for the past year with no leaks.

4946F497-B6F2-4D01-8F69-F3F7A3559533.jpeg

3F320ECA-EAF2-471F-B4E2-F23DF287CB84.jpeg

Just an idea that worked for me...since the 76 flange is NLA, I attached a 78 exhaust flange to the 2 hole manifold with the Stock O ring. Then I fabricated a 2 pipe flat flange and attached it to that exhaust flange using the 78 2 hole 3 bolt gasket. Next, the two down pipes were joined into a 2 into 1 y pipe and attached to the single exhaust pipe. I know this sounds confusing but it was really easy. Please excuse the welding in the pics. I’m just finishing up rebuilding the motor so that’s why it’s disassembled but I’ve been running this for the past year with no leaks.

Thanks Terry,

Just a little misunderstanding due to my incorrect terminology. It is a 2 bolt flange with a single down pipe, not 2 hole down pipe.

I will fabricate a flange needed to attach to my manifold. Thanks guys!

@kcisland

Here are two pictures that should help you out.

The sketch is a little light (only had a red pen :confused:) but note the 2 1/8" at top is O.D., as well as 2 5/8" to the outside of the flange.

It looks to me like a 2 inch pipe was expanded to 2 1/8" at the inlet end illustrated below.

The flange was slipped on and seal welded to the pipe.

F Engine Exhaust Pipe.jpg

1580161052360.png

these are SOR 2 bolt flanges , 3/8" thick

if any one need one shoot me a PM

they DO work well on the black OEM pope above

\
DSCN2042.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom