1st time timing belt job mistake (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi, there are multiple threads on timing belt instructions but I just wanted to post a mistake I made and hope others won’t make the same error.

In the picture, the gray wire in front of the fan bracket should be behind the fan bracket. I found it out after I installed the fan bracket and all timing belt covers. So I had to remove those and put the wire back behind the fan bracket.
2D2F314D-9F99-46AC-A1A2-66DE5C49E56E.jpeg

Last edited:
At least you caught it and fixed it correctly 👍🏽 I’ve seen some make the same mistake but not fix it. Eventually they get a camshaft position sensor DTC and wonder why...

cut and splice

Are you referring to the gray wire loom and not the grey plastic tube that is covering the camshaft position sensor wiring?

My grey wiring loom runs in front of the fan bracket is kept rearward by the front coolant hard line. Perhaps originally it went behind the fan bracket but there is very little bend in my wiring to indicate that it ever went behind. I also verified underneath that the routing I have has kept the wiring far away from the belt but it’s something I’ll fix on my next timing belt job. The first timing belt job done by the PO is likely when the wiring route was changed and I didn’t catch it like you did.

51D085AD-9B72-4996-A4ED-60EA6B3A651D.jpeg

But sure enough I watched the OTRAMM timing belt video and it runs behind. Good catch!

Last edited:
Are you referring to the gray wire loom and not the grey plastic tube that is covering the camshaft position sensor wiring?

My grey wiring loom runs in front of the fan bracket is kept rearward by the front coolant hard line. Perhaps originally it went behind the fan bracket but there is very little bend in my wiring to indicate that it ever went behind.

View attachment 2665142

But sure enough I watched the OTRAMM timing belt video and it runs behind. Good catch!
It is the gray plastic tube. That’s the wire it should be put behind fan bracket. I found it once I checked my before photo below.
2DF1D2E4-ADF6-4D86-BDA9-7A569EEAC1A5.jpeg

Sneak one of these guys up from underneath the fan assembly, clamp, pull, and plug it back on in

1620161285578.png

Getting behind the fan bracket isn’t the issue but polling the wiring and the connectors through is the tough part.

And how did this turn into a help thread for me? My that wiring routing was fine for 70,000 miles or so.

Last edited:
If I can get the two downstream connectors off easy I’ll try and reroute, otherwise I’ll just pull it all down to the fan bracket.
My first thought was trying to fishing the wire. But it seems hard to me to disconnect the clips and reroute them. It is much easier for me just to remove the fan bracket and redo it.

My first thought was trying to fishing the wire. But it seems hard to me to disconnect the clips and reroute them. It is much easier for me just to remove the fan bracket and redo it.

You’re probably right. It’s one of those things that I’ll be two or three hours into trying to reroute the wires without taking it all off and I’ll be too invested to just take off the fan bracket.

Update after several hours of frustration. Don’t try and fish the wires behind the fan bracket unless you take off the sensor wiring connectors. It’s just too tight. I was almost able to fish them with the connectors but it got hung up on the crank sensor connector. It’s just not worth the hassle. My pins wouldn’t release easily and so guess who needs to buy new connectors?

For posterity:
Oil Pressure Sender
Part No.: 90980-11363
HOUSING, CONNECTOR F

Crankshaft Position Sensor
Part No.: 90980-11162
HOUSING, CONNECTOR F

Last edited:
Update after several hours of frustration. Don’t try and fish the wires behind the fan bracket unless you take off the sensor wiring connectors. It’s just too tight. I was almost able to fish them with the connectors but it got hung up on the crank sensor connector. It’s just not worth the hassle. My pins wouldn’t release easily and so guess who needs to buy new connectors?
Sorry that you are going through this. It is probably okay as you have it behind the coolant hose and have drove 70,000 miles without issue. But if redoing this, remove fan bracket will show a clear path for the wire tube.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom