1st gen pickup grille/7” round lights installed on 1st gen 4Runner (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

No issues whatsoever in the week of driving with it zip tied on. I wanted to go round headlights when I put the grille in, but had no way to secure the lights. Several Jeep XJ owners waving at me sped up my desire to get round headlights on.

View attachment 1824889

I searched around for a bit and stumbled across Dorman 42408 7” universal headlight retaining rings on amazon. $22 later and they were on the way.

The driver’s side installed perfectly and just how I wanted. I wouldn’t be opposed to having the headlights stick further out, but I will need to space the factory headlight buckets out or make custom ones.

I used two of the old short screws on the top and then one long supplied screw to snug it all together on the bottom right. It took about 10-15 minutes to figure out the orientation to get the most screw holes to line up while also keeping the headlight happy in the housing. I did have to play with the tabs slightly.

View attachment 1824892

View attachment 1824891

Now the passenger side is a little different. The tabs orient the light closer to the corner light on the driver’s side, but on the passenger side, they push the light closer into the grille. It’s only about 3/8” and doesn’t block any light, but it kind of bugs me. It would have been amazing if all the tabs had been mirrored across a vertical plane, but not wanting to break out the welder today, I left it be.

I was able to finagle it slightly more towards the corner light than this picture shows but it gives you the idea.

View attachment 1824896
Thanks for the detailed build info. Where did the white housings for the round lights come from?.keen on trying a swap on my Hilux.

Thanks for the detailed build info. Where did the white housings for the round lights come from?.keen on trying a swap on my Hilux.

That’s the stock rectangular bulb housing. I just had it primed for paint in that image and then later painted it black

It’s been about 4 years now since I last had the round headlights on. Went back to the original front end.

IMG_9002.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom