1st Gen 05 build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Updated Power Hub 05/15/21

Works perfectly. Just need a longer red cable for the circuit breaker included with the 8gang.

Edit: just swap the cables included and it works like a charm!

auZF1Ng.jpg

Last edited:
Skid Plate Update 5/28/21

Here's the start of the front skids. Going to be going with either 1/4" 5052 or 7075, or 3/16" Steel.

I decided to include a front oil drip hole, but it's removable, or it can just be omitted. I like the idea of having that extra little bit of protection in case you get snagged there. Originally I was stuck on getting it countersunk, but came to the conclusion that this will just increase the cost for more an aesthetic reason than objective. Some rounded headed hex drive bolts will do just fine.

1622196718248.png

Last edited:
Skid Plate Update - 05.28.21

Made the transmission skid plate that is also a cat cover. I chose to remove those diagonal support brackets for the transmission in this version. Unsure if this is the best idea, but it may be best to do that. Also made a oil skid plate to match with the new front skid.

CUeDUJ5.jpg

Skid Plate Update - 06.03.21

Per some suggestions by Jim Smola on Sequoia 4WD, I added some holes in the front for airflow from the front to rear
I also change the mounting method and bends.

SFwHqFJ.png

Last edited:
Dash Mount Update - 06.12.21

Nothing too exciting, but people were interested in the dash mounts for the 1st gen seq / tundra, so I got 12 of them made. They're at powder coating as of this posting.

Very excited for all of it to come together. If anyone is interested in this - I will likely do 1 more run of these in the future.

W9WcF3j.jpg

Skid Plate Update - 06.03.21

This is perhaps the most exciting thing in recent times, as I'm reworking the whole design by adding flush service holes & internal gussets. I was able to get a rough quote made of 5052 and it's very reasonable (considering I'm not doing the labor).

More photos to come as it updates.

Dash Mount Final Update - 06.26.21

Last update for this! Finished a small group buy for some people that wanted the dash mount. Very happy with how it all turned out and was able to make almost all my money back on the project.

rrC3mHN.jpg

Rear Bumper Lights - 06.26.21

Finally decided that it was time to add lights to the BFF rear bumper. I messaged Billy & he informed me that the Flush Mictuning lights would work, but after trying to install them, the heatsink was too large to fit.

gDUklg2.jpg

I didn't feel like grinding it down so I went ahead and purchased the Sylvania Flush LED lights and they fit almost perfectly aside from the distance of the mounting holes being off by about 2.0mm. I haven't had time to use them, but they're bright and only use 0.6amps each. These will be great for backing up.

pe6kaKl.jpg
zmT4QXy.jpg

Skid Plates Update - 06.26.21

Big updates to the front skid plate! Added gusesets, air channels, flush oil drip, and more! Much excited for this. Next is the transmission skid.

Q8hBGvz.png

Love the dash mount. I have a 1st gen DC Tundra and have really been wanting a hard mount for phone, handheld radio, and nav. I've been thinking along the same lines as you, but your execution is fantastic. Far better than I could ever do. If you still have one left over I'll buy it. If not, then sign me up for the next run. I could use it immediately.

I also love the mount for the dual compressor and the fuse box mount. Well-designed. I ended up quickly making my own mount for a single compressor, and while it has worked, it's definitely not slick.
y4miHx7RrBiN5agsvMYHigR9IvqEl_mzpXirlzZhIvJ0o2RQuET_5efUJ42ELsaDumxM9BQEvabnC_QZPpTSWpxTvLKmbWpfEdjFDs2q4DMeqXmHwClAIJmyk3AkAOcC4jpkBficH9H48jTiKzFC4IcKJvkyVbmGlzoR2ndlpX5225Olk00K1AHxhT6ZD4VB4cW

Lastly, nice work on the BFF bumpers and sliders. I'm a huge fan of their work. I couldn't be happier with their products on my truck. If I were to do it over again I probably would've done the dual swing outs rather than a single. But I wanted the single so I could get a large fold down table, which I really like. Love your Sequoia....I desperately want to pick one up so I can take my whole family, but I need the truck bed.
y4mWqNoIT_2l5F6wuq833FlJyb3ICUlW7_tFAo6PYb0Yjv4GkakPCQEth2jBSZRL308KgEtWrA7fvWxq6ibwgBfwmIQf2g9GvxBYktyDKjC31ikE3LB5zuJGc1_EdzY4ydIsNnXpaopY5OeTgajqjVWb7qOYjlPrcBMYtuu2EcTSfSJNdhPoFqkEoycXwrfv6Gu

Love the dash mount. I have a 1st gen DC Tundra and have really been wanting a hard mount for phone, handheld radio, and nav. I've been thinking along the same lines as you, but your execution is fantastic. Far better than I could ever do. If you still have one left over I'll buy it. If not, then sign me up for the next run. I could use it immediately.

I also love the mount for the dual compressor and the fuse box mount. Well-designed. I ended up quickly making my own mount for a single compressor, and while it has worked, it's definitely not slick.
y4miHx7RrBiN5agsvMYHigR9IvqEl_mzpXirlzZhIvJ0o2RQuET_5efUJ42ELsaDumxM9BQEvabnC_QZPpTSWpxTvLKmbWpfEdjFDs2q4DMeqXmHwClAIJmyk3AkAOcC4jpkBficH9H48jTiKzFC4IcKJvkyVbmGlzoR2ndlpX5225Olk00K1AHxhT6ZD4VB4cW

Lastly, nice work on the BFF bumpers and sliders. I'm a huge fan of their work. I couldn't be happier with their products on my truck. If I were to do it over again I probably would've done the dual swing outs rather than a single. But I wanted the single so I could get a large fold down table, which I really like. Love your Sequoia....I desperately want to pick one up so I can take my whole family, but I need the truck bed.
y4mWqNoIT_2l5F6wuq833FlJyb3ICUlW7_tFAo6PYb0Yjv4GkakPCQEth2jBSZRL308KgEtWrA7fvWxq6ibwgBfwmIQf2g9GvxBYktyDKjC31ikE3LB5zuJGc1_EdzY4ydIsNnXpaopY5OeTgajqjVWb7qOYjlPrcBMYtuu2EcTSfSJNdhPoFqkEoycXwrfv6Gu
Heyo! Thanks for the kind words. I love your Tundra. Scs f5 wheels are my favorite and I wish they were available when I needed them. 1st gen tundra DC is 🔥. The truck bed is a dream for storage needs. I wish I had it at times but maybe in the future when I need storage over passenger space.

I did a little group buy on the mount about a month ago and there is looming interest to do a 2nd run. I'll likely update the model before I do that to make a few optimizations. Ill let you know if and when I do another run.

The dual compressor mount is still WIP. While it works, it isn't great for install. Some changes will likely be shown this week when i finish some of the updates.

Sometimes I do wish I had the single swing because of the bigger surface table. I might be inclined to make a table for the right swing (with tire carrier) as I saw some BFF rear bumpers had it there but it wasn't an option for me. I also wish the swings were symmetrical so I could swap the tire to the left side as after I did all the updates to the rig, I found that I wish it was on the left side instead of the right side of the vehicle. Oh well! Just small things to change in the future or next vehicle.

One of the biggest goals was being able to take the family out with some compromise. For camping / trips, we can do 6 people with pads & sleeping bags and a bag for everyone and 2 small dogs. I still use the sequoia every other week and do local trips like riding bikes at the beach or taking a group of friends out aka mom van. Then there are weekends when I can do camping/4x4 trips. IMO, it's the best compromise vehicle that can do it all and that's what I love about it, like a multi tool.

I will be heading up to norcal for a few months and will have the chance to explore more of that area ♥

Last edited:
Skids update.

IMG-20210723-WA0003.jpg

Just a small update, but the skids are complete. Access holes for all the goodies and more. Drilling for nutserts for tcase required. Covers front and rear of the cat.

Making 1 unit out of 1/4" 5052 to verify its good and then moving forward with making a small batch of <5 for some other sequoia enthusiasts to try and recoup my costs and my unit. Very excited.

Compressor Update

Ran a small run on an updated compressor bracket. It fits PERFECTLY & install was very easy. Drilling + nutsert required, but it was all worth it.

Made of 1/8“ 5052 Aluminum and weighs less than 2 lbs with brackets.

7A26B7CB-A637-404B-BA24-4F77BE3476B4.jpeg

Very cool features and nice build methodology. Between you and Sal R lots of ideas roll through my head. Just joined the site after seeing your dash mount. PM’d you my interest in a future order. I installed a second battery in your compressor location so I need to find another spot for the compressor. Looking forward to see what else you come up with.

Very cool features and nice build methodology. Between you and Sal R lots of ideas roll through my head. Just joined the site after seeing your dash mount. PM’d you my interest in a future order. I installed a second battery in your compressor location so I need to find another spot for the compressor. Looking forward to see what else you come up with.

Thank you! Ah yes, i was trying to plan around the battery bracket, but I also had this extra module there. I didn't feel like figuring out how to relocate everything so I just built on top of it. I also didn't want to buy another battery personally, and didn't see myself having a house battery. I'd rather use a portable lithium battery.

Currently I'm thinking of updating the compressor mount with a tilt mechanism so I can access the ps res better but that'll have to wait til I have more time to think it over since it needs to tilt, and lock in place and be budget friendly.

I saw that the GX platform has compressors mounted near driverside firewall but the brake master cyl is there and it's not as pretty / compact like the GX. There's also mounting it sideways or diagonally along with passenger side of the engine but the mount would be very complicated with all the wires and hoses there. I'll try and think it over and see if there's a solution to this.

Ah forgot to mention but Sal is the man! His posts on sequoia forum are very thought out and laid out. Basically a guide.

Everyone should check it out.

Ah forgot to mention but Sal is the man! His posts on sequoia forum are very thought out and laid out. Basically a guide.

Everyone should check it out.

Totally agree regarding Sal. I went WAY down the rabbit hole on his Sequoia Forum posts to the point of having an LED to do the Audi cabin light mod (having had an Audi with that feature I totally want it). I wish the Sequoia forum site had more traffic but here we are. I need to post my dual battery setup to both locations. I took a bunch of photos, just need to take some time. Regarding the compressor, I found the battery barely has enough clearance in the PS reservoir location so I can’t imagine putting anything above it. In an earlier photo it appeared you were contemplating mounting above what I think (?) is the brake manifold (aft of the PS reservoir with a lot of hard lines). Did that not work out?

Cheers

S

Totally agree regarding Sal. I went WAY down the rabbit hole on his Sequoia Forum posts to the point of having an LED to do the Audi cabin light mod (having had an Audi with that feature I totally want it). I wish the Sequoia forum site had more traffic but here we are. I need to post my dual battery setup to both locations. I took a bunch of photos, just need to take some time. Regarding the compressor, I found the battery barely has enough clearance in the PS reservoir location so I can’t imagine putting anything above it. In an earlier photo it appeared you were contemplating mounting above what I think (?) is the brake manifold (aft of the PS reservoir with a lot of hard lines). Did that not work out?

Cheers

S

It would barely clear with the hood closed. Once I added the 1/8 plate and some clearance for the abs module, it wouldn't work. It's shy by about 1 inch.

It would barely clear with the hood closed. Once I added the 1/8 plate and some clearance for the abs module, it wouldn't work. It's shy by about 1 inch.

I could revisit it, but in this scenario the whole air port needs to relocated to an external manifold to work that is low profile.

I'll think it over the weekend. Anything is possible with a few brackets. There's a few bolts that can be used on the firewall for this

I could revisit it, but in this scenario the whole air port needs to relocated to an external manifold to work that is low profile.

I'll think it over the weekend. Anything is possible with a few brackets. There's a few bolts that can be used on the firewall for this
Cool. I just got mine back from some paint work. I will peek under the hood the next few days. Wondering if maybe there is room in front of the stock batter location.

Skid Project Update

Relocated temporarily so I don't have all my tools and couldn't get my skid plates completely finished, but I was able to get a fit install for the front + transmission skid I made.

Fitment is about 95% there, and just a few adjustments need to be made to make it perfect for install. Very excited to get the TCASE plate installed this weekend.

1629545260904.png
1629545299932.png

Skid Project Update

Finally finished the install of the last plate (tcase + rear cat). It's like 95% there. There are a lot of changes that need to be done to make it better to install.

Overall, 9 nutserts are required for this install & there are a few optional ones to help with extra fitment.
- 1 nutsert for oil pan skid to mount
- 2 nutserts for transmission / cat skid plate
- 6 nutserts for tcase skid.

1630118680748.png
1630118717753.png

Last edited:
Skids Project Update - Closing the books for now.

For now, the skids project is done. I was planning to run a small batch of them, but overall the cost to produce them is too high, and after running the numbers, it doesn't seem viable to run for a reasonable price. Too much risk and liability for a few bucks.

But I'm very happy that I got to get my V1 set, but may look at doing a V2 set with some updated elements, and then selling the set I have off.

For now, I'll close the book, and work on some other projects.

Light Bracket Project

I recently bought a midland shortie antenna, and made a mockup for a light bracket that can be installed on the passenger side. It'll be made from 3/16" 5052.

Did a test fit, but it needs a few updates to it to make it perfect fitment.

1630400889444.png

Center Console Project!

One of my biggest gripes with the Sequoia is the non-flat center console top, low wall cup holders, non-dividing center console compartment, and the weird shaped "tray" closer to the dash. The whole thing is basically a mess for space optimization.

I'll be making a new center console out of aluminum or steel that also has compartments to get a little more organized.

One of which will be the Midland Headunit. Got it scanned and I'm very excited to get started on this project.

Some Features I'll be getting into this:
1. Locking center console
2. Flat Top on Console
3. Taller Wall Cup Holders
4. Side Molle Panels for extra stuff.
5. Dividers for the Center Console
6. Dedicated slot for Midland MXT400 (via adapter).
7. Some type of 3D Printed Coin Tray.
8. Interior 12v (charging items inside the center console, like a headlamp or m12 battery).
9. Light interior for console itself.
10. A way to integrate the current HVAC controls for rear + power window + heat seat switches.
11. Center Console Upper Tray Organizer (like from amazon); Example
1630401983059.png

12. Triple Drink holders for the Rear (because there are 3 seats, but only 2 cup holders?!

Very excited to get this going. Just need to scan in my winch controller so I can make a slot for it and then take the center console apart to scan it.

1630401107457.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom