1pz won’t start! Electrical?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey fellas, new to this but I’m having trouble with my nz new 12v 1991 pzj70 crusier.
After driving it around I park up at home and next day boom nothing, lights all still work, reds come on so I thought maybe starter so I knock it.. nothing! then bench test and it failed so I buy a new starter and same thing.. nothing just a tick! So I replace the starter relay.. same again just a tick. Which appears to be coming from the glow relay only?? Which is odd because glow light still works fine and I am actually running a manual glow button wired straight to glow rail. Not the best i know but it works! I understand there’s not much in the left in the electrical system in a 70 so what’s left?? To me it feels like a bad earth everything seems fine? Just odd that one day driving fine then the next not? Any help will be much appreciated !! Cheers team.

I've been through something similar where I just bought mine. My starting issues were thus: low V glow plugs, with a weak starter and poorly corroded starter. The starter needed to be rebuilt because the terminal were broken inside as well as the alternator. After putting in 11V glow plugs, getting the starter and alternator rebuilt, and cleaning all of the batter cables, I have a reliable stating 1PZ PZJ70. Mine is very basic too. No heart, no air, and it's a 12V system as well.

I've been through something similar where I just bought mine. My starting issues were thus: low V glow plugs, with a weak starter and poorly corroded starter. The starter needed to be rebuilt because the terminal were broken inside as well as the alternator. After putting in 11V glow plugs, getting the starter and alternator rebuilt, and cleaning all of the batter cables, I have a reliable stating 1PZ PZJ70. Mine is very basic too. No heart, no air, and it's a 12V system as well.
Thanks for you’re reply, I also have new glow plugs not even 2000kms ago, I have got my mate to turn key over while I have multimeter on starter, drops same amount as battery. Where to look now…

Could it be something as simple as a dirty/ bad battery terminal ? Bad connection where the heavy cable joins the terminal connector?

Check both ends of both battery cables. Sometimes they're crimped to the lugs, sometimes soldered.

Also where the neg screws to the engine. Make sure it's clean and tight.

Plus.. did you use your trucks battery cable for the bench test?
Intermittent internal fault in the battery is possible. but not likely.

Last edited:
I had a main battery lead with corroded connection (soldered) to battery clamp.
Voltmeter showed 24V but the amount of current was so restricted, it would not run the starter.
Careful inspection of solder joint showed the problem.

Thanks for you’re reply, I also have new glow plugs not even 2000kms ago, I have got my mate to turn key over while I have multimeter on starter, drops same amount as battery. Where to look now…

I'll ask the same questions I was asked while trying to solve my issues.

Does the engine turn? Is so, and you have a multimeter, what the voltage at the starter? If it turns over slower than you remember then the issue is with the ground or the starter. My issue was a 380,000km starter that was tired and an alternator the wouldn't charge the battery.

There's a glowplug relay, and if it clicks when the key is turned then it's getting power. You can pull each glowplug to see if they been burned by overvoltage. Pull it and test on a 12v source to see if they glow? I rigged a contraption to test mine and discovered they were bad.

These are very simple set ups, so start at the simple solution first

I had a main battery lead with corroded connection (soldered) to battery clamp.
Voltmeter showed 24V but the amount of current was so restricted, it would not run the starter.
Careful inspection of solder joint showed the problem.
Cheers. I’ve been through and cleaned all connections both sides with some
Fine emery paper, still nothing. Everything appears normal in that regard.

I'll ask the same questions I was asked while trying to solve my issues.

Does the engine turn? Is so, and you have a multimeter, what the voltage at the starter? If it turns over slower than you remember then the issue is with the ground or the starter. My issue was a 380,000km starter that was tired and an alternator the wouldn't charge the battery.

There's a glowplug relay, and if it clicks when the key is turned then it's getting power. You can pull each glowplug to see if they been burned by overvoltage. Pull it and test on a 12v source to see if they glow? I rigged a contraption to test mine and discovered they were bad.

These are very simple set ups, so start at the simple solution first
There is no turn over at all. I hear starter engage then one CLICK and nothing. Glow plug relay getting power for sure. And multimeter telling me starters getting power too.

There is no turn over at all. I hear starter engage then one CLICK and nothing. Glow plug relay getting power for sure. And multimeter telling me starters getting power too.
gotta find why the loop is broken then. has to be a power delivery problem to the starter or a circuit completion (ground) problem

If the battery . battery cables and starter are all ok it will kick over with a hot wire from bat + directly to the starter solenoid.
{Unless it has a bat isolation solenoid between bat and starter.}

Last edited:
If the battery . battery cables and starter are all ok it will kick over with a hot wire from bat + directly to the starter solenoid.
I have just tried this and no luck… I really thought that would work… so now I’m really confused lol

Is it sounding more like an ignition problem to anyone else?? How do i go about tastings this? Any of the relays under drivers side dash have anything to do with this system??

Have tried other battery’s, even tried direct Hotwire from other vehicle..
Still nothing, where I should I be looking now?? Cheers

Still nothing, where I should I be looking now?? Cheers
can only be cables or faulty new starter. Assuming cables run directly + to starter [no isolation solenoid] and - to engine , and assuming you did the hotwire correctly + to the solenoid start terminal.

Looooong shot, could be a loose nut on the new starter solenoid, not where the battery cable connects, the other one.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom