1KZ-TE ENGINE REBUILD (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all,

Look at a necessary engine rebuild on my JDM 93 Prado with a 1KZ-TE. I will supply this rebuild kit but was just quoted ~40hrs and $6k+ in labor. I understand it’s older so „pay to play“ is well known.

Is there anyone who might have different rates/time to rebuild or is this pretty standard?

Yup. $6k to rebuild is reasonable amount including machine costs/tear down/cleaning/assembly/testing.

Yup. $6k to rebuild is reasonable amount including machine costs/tear down/cleaning/assembly/testing.
the $6K quote is just for labor not to include machining costs (which I’m not a mechanic so I don’t know how much that runs). More than happy to pay someone for their service but also good to know its a reasonable price for a rebuild! Thanks :)

An additional consideration is experience/expertise with Toyota diesels ... not just price.

Expertise needs to include the machine shop, not just the mechanic. The machine shop needs to have expertise in diesel engines and the associated tighter tolerances/nuances inherent in machining for a diesel.

We learned (myself and the highly experience Toyota mechanic that was over hauling my engine) this the hard way! The machine shop failed to install the pre-combustion cups correctly which led to one letting go at ~15k miles and causing unrepairable damage to the head & block. The machine shop had years of very good support with machine work on gas motors. They projected that they were up for diesel work, but they were not.

My suggestion is to call Rob at Odd Iron Cruisers. He is located in southwest Georgia so he should be reasonably close to you. His shop is highly regarded for quality work, so he will have a backlog of customers waiting which will mean that you will need to get on his schedule.

Good luck

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom