1hz to 1hd fte conversion (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all I have searched many of threads but can't find nothing solid.. I am the proud owner of a 92 hzj 75 with 1 Hz done 675,000 kms. I have just purchased a 1hd fte full conversion with wirring loom right back to key. Am half way through pulling old loom out will post many of pictures as doing it but any one with knowledge of some one who's done it would be appreciated .

Many headaches to come lol

IMG_2921.JPG

IMG_2922.JPG

IMG_2923.JPG

IMG_2925.JPG

IMG_2930.JPG

Well engine and wiring loom all the way out and 1hd fte nearly in. Due to using 1hz box had to swap flywheel clutch and bell housing over. Will upgrade box later just want to get the conversion done first. Also had to use 1hz engine mounts. What was once lots of room in engine bay now is tight fit. I think suspension upgrade also due to added weight.

IMG_2933.JPG

IMG_2934.JPG

IMG_2940.JPG

IMG_2942.JPG

IMG_2944.JPG

I put an FTE in a bj 73, similar to a 75 just in your case you don't have to cut off engine mounts, have a watch of my vid, there might be something in it which could help you, you've done the hardest parts already.

Did the old HZ bell housing bolt directly on the the 1HD FTE ???
Is the flywheel face the same distance away from the engine ( Bell housing face) on both of these engines??
Lock the spare bell housing away out of sight and mind, they are like hens teeth to find.

Good luck
George.

Yes the Hz bell housing bolted straight up no problems all measures out the same. And yes keeping the spare bellhousing flywheel and clutch so can be put back on when upgrade gearbox and transfer case.

I put an FTE in a bj 73, similar to a 75 just in your case you don't have to cut off engine mounts, have a watch of my vid, there might be something in it which could help you, you've done the hardest parts already.

Where did you plumb in the vaccum hose for the brakes. And great job done. I'm up to the wiring side of it now.. did you pull your old loom out. And if possible may we trade mobile numbers for any questions. Love ya work.

Where did you plumb in the vaccum hose for the brakes. And great job done. I'm up to the wiring side of it now.. did you pull your old loom out. And if possible may we trade mobile numbers for any questions. Love ya work.
Pm me and I'll give you my number.

Well both wiring looms are being sent off to sideshow performance wiring to have them converted. Once get them back just got to lay it in and plug it up. Down side is he's flat out 2 to 3 month wait for it. So in mean time intercooler, piping, pyro gauge, boost gauge has been bought off eBay so hope to have all engine side completed so fingers crossed plug loom all up and hit key. Oh and as I work in the scrap industry I picked up about 6 meters of 3 inch stainless steal pipe. $25 dollars . So save some coin there and make my own. More pics soon

Well hi all been awhile but progress has been made wiring loom conversion back and plug straight in then hit the key. Fire away it did. So plumbed everything else up and nearly back on the road.. ended up keeping original dash cluster.
20190924_142725.jpg
20190924_142738.jpg

Hi S75. This is personally interesting to me as my 92 pickup 'Golden Boy' has an engine that seems ok but does have pretty high mileage at 570K km. I"ve been debating doing an overhaul or a swap. Could I ask whether you considered rebuilding the existing powerplant, and what lead you to make the decision you did, and also what the cost was for the new engine, if that is not too personal.

Hi John I did think about rebuilding the 1hz. Till I found out I had a possible cracked vein in the block as I ended up with oil in my radiator. Thought was head gasket or head but gasket looked good and from further research lead me to the crack in the block.. if I was to rebuild I would've turbo'd it as well and cheapest I could get it done was 7000 for standard turbo rebuild or 9000 for performance kit. I'd looked at my replacement engine few months before I had problems cause was looking to swap or rebuild.. then oil in water.. I'm glad I went the way I have as it will s*** over and turbo 1hz or 1hdt. the engine I have now cost me 6000 for complete conversion. Which is a lot not needed.. depending on your location i could always call and give you details and answer any questions. Cheers for the interest..

Last edited:
What did the FTE come out of?

Are you reinstalling the intercooler?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom