Builds 1HZ-T HZJ78 All-Climate Expo Build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

It's digital so you probably didn't pick it up in the photos. Tinytach, 4th along from the left above the OEM gauges

:lol:

OK now I get it....

Here’s some photos of the final (or at least current) engine bay electrical box, necessarily changed as I increased the number of things to relay/fuse and upgraded the 120amp isolator to a waterproof 500amp Blue Sea with manual cutout, so for space management the relays came out of the protected environment and the resized box is now just to protect the extra fuses. Goes without saying, but this is all for the circuits that run directly from the start battery, which are limited to just winch controls, all lighting used while driving, the exhaust brake and the air horn
08 - Copy.jpg

Had to change over to the blue sea isolator as I decided (against my previous wisdom) to get a 12,000 lb winch and got a 270 amp alternator to suit and to increase charging capacity, as the standard 80 amp had been struggling with the 340 Ahr total of both batteries.

But I love it, works really well as an isolator, automatically separates the batteries for a few minutes when the starter is activated to protect from anything weird that might happen at startup, sensible dash control switch that blinks when somethings wrong, but I love the manual override switch on the unit that deactivates everything for when I go into a workshop for peace of mind.
09 - Copy.jpg

Still need to get the relay wiring into tubes, but they’re up as high as possible, and in that position any water should drain out and not cause any problems.
10 - Copy.jpg

Last edited:
Here’s the finished roof console, the black thing is the handsfree speaker/mic nicely just above my head
11.jpg

though I didn’t have the tablet in when I took the photos, it's angled to me operated by my better half as we drive. as i mentioned its connected to the radio permanently at the rear AUX connector.
12.jpg

the OEM dim LED lit light is mostly used for seeing the switches in the dark or for a little but not too much light when on the road, the other LEDS on each end are super bright, good for camping or eating, but too much light when pulled up at a traffic light in a dodgy neighbourhood.
13.jpg

Last edited:
I had added twin electric horns behind the grille, but it didn’t do justice to her presence on the road… those who have experienced driving in crazy Latin American or other developing cities can appreciate the necessity to sound similar to your relative size. With that said the original landcruiser horn is completely inadequate. So on with the 3-way air horns, nothing fancy just a standard Bosch kit that I hope will be reliable.

Anyway, after thinking of bolting the horns to the underside of the bonnet due to my FMIC aspirations, one bloke on another forum gave me the idea to use this space, which I love as space is at a premium in the 70’s. Done a number of trips in Peru with it like this, all good so far, used high density foam of a high quality. I imagine it’s not as loud as it could be on the grille, but it’s still much louder than what was on the grille previously and more than enough for me.

It just a pressure fit, I can't imagine they'll ever move much as they only just fit, so much so I had to enlist the help of my better half's petite little hands to install it properly.

horn1.jpg
horn3.jpg
horn4.jpg

Last edited:
As I’d mentioned I blew the dodgy R151F hours after tuning the pump for the rebuilt turbo. I did a transplant with an ex-FZJ105 H151F box, matched it to the 1HZ with an OEM 78 series 1HD bellhousing and na Xtreme Outback extra heavy duty clutch kit for a 75 series 1FZ. Game of musical toyota parts but resulted in no mechanical modifications. I knew I was up for replacing the 3rd gear spline, and decided to open her up and renovate all snycros and bearings, and anything else that wasn't going to last a very long time.

01.jpg

02.jpg

Here’s were my bad luck started to turn sour. After waiting frustratingly for 9 months for parts and the rebuild, I finally got the workshop in charge to fit it, but only managed to drive the car out of jail with her tail between her legs and a mangled hole in the floor. To cut a long story short, not only was it not rebuilt properly apparent from all the clanging and banging over 50 km/h, but the next day when I dropped it somewhere else to check out the problem, this is what a number of the splines looked like. WTF!!!! (if your hard of sight, that's some sort of bodgy solder repair job, not exactly the high quality replace anything that moves at any cost type job I had specified!)

03.jpg

After waiting for splines the second workshop could finally fit the properly rebuild box and we sorted the sticks out. The gearsticks came up in a different place, but instead of modifying the sticks I just decided to cut new holes and sealed the others. Although it might not have been so simple if i had a bench seat.

04.jpg

05.jpg

The rear driveshaft only just fit on the new transfer, only an inch to spare before being too long, the front shaft also fit very snug and the angle did change, but within the limits and it works fine it seems.

06.jpg

The slightly shorter 5th gear of the H151F was not an issue for me because I ain’t a speedhead, but the longer 1st and 2nd were much appreciated, as it better suits the repowered 1HZ-T where 1st gear was basically redundant (onroad). With the weight I carry I tend to use low range in almost all offroad situations so I doubt I’ll ever be left wanting the extra low down of the original R box or say a H150F, the latter simply didn’t exist here anyway.

Edit: here's a photo of the final fit
08.jpg

Last edited:
The cabin heater hose mysteriously blew off on the H151F test drive about 100km from home. No. 6 piston gave way first. When she went kaboom I thought it was the new gearbox, and when I got her to the side of the highway the OEM temp gauge was still rising visibly towards the red.

Head was tested and I was told it was undamaged. Took advantage of my misfortune to rebuild as a 1HZ-T: 1HZ-T pistons, 1HD-T conrods, No.1 1HZ-T head gasket (which is actually just a No. 5 1HZ head gasket).

They make these 1HZ-T pistons in pre and post 1998, these are the post 1998.

DPP%20post98%201HZ-T%20pistons.jpg

The grey paint isn’t for bling, I want to perceive oil leaks.
01.JPG

Added another entry to the sump for the by-pass filter
02.JPG

Added the 1HD-T boost compensator to the original 10mm pump
03.JPG

up and running again
04.JPG

While the she was in jail (6 months) getting the motor rebuilt, I had the side windows modified for security. that is the original frame with galvinized sheet metal welded in, the interior side now has bolts for fitting interior furniture. would have done that to both but we plan to sleep inside when necessary and wanted to retain some ventilation, so the remaining received the bars, whose brackets are welded to the window frame. I removed the windows for both of these mods. the rubbers were dry and had shrunk but I was successful in bringing them back to life with a rubber treatment product that also brought them back to their original size.

01.jpg

whilst they were fairly new, the springs had rusted from all the sitting around, and decide to blast and ditch the "I have aftermarket suspension yellow" colour :)
07.jpg

Next was the 3” exhaust straight through from turbo, also wanted to ditch the muffler to make room for a water tank and include the exhaust brake.

05.JPG

Got about this far with the first welder before I had to find a better workshop, as soon as the pipe was finished to the underside I escaped jail yet again.

06.JPG

So I spent an evening driving around with an extremely short 3” straight though, setting off car alarms wherever I went before going to another workshop to finish it off. I hadn't tuned the pump yet.

Made up some 2.5” reducers, only used one in the end
07.JPG

08.JPG

Added a flex section straight after the exhaust brake to deal with the limited clearance further on, as I wanted to maximize the area for the water tank

09.JPG

These aren’t the best photos, but enough to see the routing. all the photos are from front to back

10.JPG

11.JPG

12.JPG

13.JPG

14.JPG

I needed it to exit at this side near the rear so the motor can be run when camped up
15.JPG

Next the front mount intercooler and 2.5” piping. This is as good as a before shot as I have.

00.JPG

This is what was where I made the cutouts for piping
01.JPG

The cutouts and modifications to the crossmember
02.JPG

03.JPG

04.JPG

05.JPG

All the AC condenser and intercooler mounts I fabbed up used these little rubber jobs I had made up locally

06.JPG

07.JPG

I had to get a new condenser with outlets on the side as the previous had front facing outlets that prohibited having anything else in front

08.JPG

09.JPG

2.5” intercooler

10.JPG

The front strut needed a replacement

11.JPG

12.JPG

Nice amount of space still.

13.JPG

14.JPG

The grille has never been so secure, obviously ditched those silly plastic clips that used to grab the previous strut.

15.JPG

Just had to mod the condenser intake for easy fitting.

16.JPG

Catch can to keep the intercooler clean.

17.JPG

Pipework: I didn’t want to modify the plenum, as since I’ll be touring internationally, the plan is to carry the OEM crossover intake in order to block off the intercooler at any time should anything go wrong like an impact, hence the big angle over the motor.

18.JPG

I did have to modify the AC compressor bracket to lower it, there was plenty of room. I also modified the mounting arms on the hydraulic fluid reservoir to move it further back.

19.JPG

then to the dyno. the first "before" data was with standard 8 psi setting for AXT turbo and the pump untuned. then "after" tuned the pump (90cc without pressure @1000rpm / 105cc @1000rpm with pressure) and increased the turbo pressure to 12 psi. tested with 285/75/16s. the two graphs of the same thing are to cover the different power/torque parameter preferences. a bit over a 20% increase over what was no doubt already a major increase over a factory 1HZ. very fun to drive :)

16.JPG

17.JPG

man you have done a s*** load to this thing.
Thanks for posting.
I'm now following this.

thanks for the kind comments, but I reckon that a talented person might have finished it by now, I've had a lot of :bang:

very impressive

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom