Builds 1HZ-T HZJ78 All-Climate Expo Build (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The exhaust brake is from Gearing Dynamics in oz, the 3" model for the 1HZ. Works good, gives you 'more gears ' on long hway descents, but no real use offroad. Simple install if you can cut your exhaust and weld the flanges. Pretty simple electrics and you tee into the vacuum line for its operation. The switches are very specific and sensitive, i ordered an extra switch as well as an extra actuation spring when i bought it to have spares, and have now used all as the spring rusted up when it was sitting for some years and the bloke who upholstered my floor screwed up the accelerator switch through carelessness.
These systems tend to be darn expensive. What do you reccon - is the effect worth the money, all in all?

These systems tend to be darn expensive. What do you reccon - is the effect worth the money, all in all?
I reckon it is not worth the money at all for most people. I live and travel in Peru, where a 3-4 hour constant descent from 5000m (16000ft) to sea level is at times a weekly event, so it is close to the best money I have spent in my situation. This is only for better controlled descending on long hard surfaces, there's no use offroad, nor for improving emergency braking. All it does is give you an extra engine braking gear in between each gear if that makes sense (4th - 4th with exhaust brake - 3rd - 3rd with exhaust brake - 2nd etc.), so for those descents drivability and brake pad life is doubled I would say. You'd have to live or at least travel frequently in mountainous terrain to even consider one.

I reckon it is not worth the money at all for most people. I live and travel in Peru, where a 3-4 hour constant descent from 5000m (16000ft) to sea level is at times a weekly event, so it is close to the best money I have spent in my situation. This is only for better controlled descending on long hard surfaces, there's no use offroad, nor for improving emergency braking. All it does is give you an extra engine braking gear in between each gear if that makes sense (4th - 4th with exhaust brake - 3rd - 3rd with exhaust brake - 2nd etc.), so for those descents drivability and brake pad life is doubled I would say. You'd have to live or at least travel frequently in mountainous terrain to even consider one.
Thx mate, that's real life info. Appreciate it!

These turned up recently. Factory foot steps for the rear left pillar. Still waiting on one of the steps, but apart from installing these the plan will be to fab up similar steps for the rear right pillar and two on each side to keep the factory look going.

View attachment 1627506
View attachment 1627509
View attachment 1627512

Not sure if I'll install this thin aluminium shoe toe paint protector, as I would want to paint it and I'm not sure if I could source the same material so they all look the same. Had to order them to see what they were
View attachment 1627514

Hi Damo,

Curious on how you installed the retainers? 61644-90K01 and 61642-90K01

Did you weld them on the body or just bolt them on?

I'm not sure how the factory did it.

Hi Damo,

Curious on how you installed the retainers? 61644-90K01 and 61642-90K01

Did you weld them on the body or just bolt them on?

I'm not sure how the factory did it.
Hey mate, once i got the holes right and could bolt them on, i just used automotive adhesive/ sealant on the retainers, which also ensures they seal. I think it was Sika 227, anything like that will work.

Are the brackets welded to the piller from the factory? If they are, then the steps will fail because the weight is only on two points and a thin sheet metal in between.

Are the brackets welded to the piller from the factory? If they are, then the steps will fail because the weight is only on two points and a thin sheet metal in between.
Not sure what you mean. The retainer is thick sheet. It goes inside the pillar body panel and the step is bolted to it. Its pretty solid being on the pillar.

For those wanting the update, here's the final configuration

Troopy01.jpg
Troopy02.jpg
Troopy03.jpg
Troopy04.jpg

Last edited:
WOW , looks like a pop up roof , but it isn't !
I see that you have 4 tank ports , 2 for fuel , and 2 for water ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom