1HD-T into BJ74, vacuum lines, and tried to kill myself.... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
FYI-

1HD-T's only have a single hard tube (coolant) crossing over the water pump for turbo. I am HD-T converting the BJ74 and need to add a second tube for vacuum as the reservoirs are on the right (in this case drivers) fender. I must stack a water line + vacuum, (HDJ78/9's have a twin tube but wait is too long to get one via Japan/Australia, I have the water line in place and have a NOS vacuum tube courtesy Greg Riemer parts emporium). V-Pump is on bottom left front of timing case and will go to a OEM hard line on pass fender that has an extra spout to double back to clutch resevoir (1990+ J70 boosted clutch-brake system). BJ vacuum pumps have dual spouts off the vacuum pump and go directly to clutch reservoir and single tube which feeds the brake reservoir. The camshaft pulley, top timing cover, and obviously the timing belt must be removed.

so to the story.

Went to loosen the cam shaft pulley nut (72ft/lb) with 24" breaker bar and adjustable wrench with 30" pipe on it. Clocked myself in the head when it slipped and drew blood. I have a pretty good lump still after 45 minutes of ice.

Almost as good as yesterday, ruined the one and only t-case to tranny seal I had thwarting my t-case assembly on the engine-tranny.

Good news, boost/pyrometer dual meter from westach came in today!

I bought a 1990+ apron (right side) to easily ad the HZJ air cleaner & fender intake, fuel filter, and washer bottle. It should be ready Monday with correct paint. I'll assemble pics and as the engine goes back in I'll make out a story board.

...ow

jeezz, these things happen, that sucks. The more experience you get the less you will hurt yourself in most cases

Hi Rick .Does the vac reservoir have to go on the RH side? Hj75 and 105s have it on the left.
Then you just run another vac hose across the firewall.

Ive wish I had of known they make a twin hard tube. I could have used one of them as the FJ7# doesnt have enough bolt holes in the firewall for the diesel vac lines,clutch and fuel.

Those wrenchin injuries are bad. I set my trouser leg on fire with the angle grinder recently:crybaby:

Sounds like a great build, I thought about the 1HD-T into a HZJ73.

Have a heck of a scare on my nose from a greasy hand on a jack handle which slipped.

adjustable wrench, the tool of the devil. all mine now reside in the bottom drawer since they stripped more than they broke loose. the devil of cruisers laughs everytime one of us picks up this dreaded tool.

rick_d said:
Good news, boost/pyrometer dual meter from westach came in today!

Copy cat on the gauge ;)

Like Ross said, I'd keep all the vac system on the left, then run a vacuum line on the firewall.

Dave

i woke up from my head injury today just to answer the questions....

I have a 1 1/6" wrench, but did not want to cut the closed end off. the adjustable did not fail, the nut cut loose and the cheater slammed into my head. the cheater is a very dirty "birfield breaker" 1 5/8" pipe that I did not want to lean on. a second person would have been handier.

since I have the two reservoirs and one is opposite the turbo along with the in spout of the branch tube, a left hand vacuum system would still have to split somewhere to reach both vacuum tanks (across firewall, thence forward to air cleaner, then back to brach tube etc etc. very convoluted for a right hand drive truck.
44799-60080 is tube for clutch booster and brake
44799-60070 has a third spud (small) for vacuum transfer
44777-60200 is non split for brake only (same as bj74 stock tube)

you know what would have worked is compressed air. then all the toys(tools) i have sitting dormant in the drawer would have been of some use.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom