1HD-T Conversion (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.shopraddcruisers.ca
We have the goods, a low milage 1HD-T. Did lots of homework on the install into a 1997 80 series. Seems like theres gonna be a bit of head scratching to make this puppy look factory.

Any and I say any advice or information would be greatly appreciate.

We have manuels coming from Oz along with a pile of other parts.

Regards
Rob
RADD Lancruiser Restorations

Rob,

Sorry, Why? &nbsp:Did the 1FZ blow up? No offence intended, It just seems like a helluva lot of work and cash just to be different. I DO admire your courage however. What gives?

We are mainly a diesel cruiser company, not to diss the gassers but I have owned a couple and very much like the diesel. You give my possitives for gassers and I will give twice as many for diesels. Try to get a million Ks out of a gasser, seen that kind of K on lots of cruiser diesels. Try to get around 30 MPG and run the engine under two feet of water. :dunno:
Throw these engines on bio diesel and smell the french fries.

Rob

Makes sense..........BTW I have an old Dodge Cummins 1 ton 4wd.................Best of luck in your quest....we are mostly gassers around here, dunno how much help you will find.

Would like to follow the progress though..... :D

Rob

30MPG ?? Maybe at a constant 56mph. I know plenty of people (here in the UK) driving diesel 80's. Average consumption is more like 20MPG

I have to agree with engine longevity point you make - and diesels have a better reputation for reliability.

Didn't SOR have a diesel engine for sale? It was something like $10,000 - that can't make sense.

Cheers, Jim

Cheers, Jim

Yep, we purchased one for half that price including shipping.

No takers on the install? I guess not many have attempted this install.

Heard some guy in California installed one.

Rob

I've never heard of anyone doing that install, but that doesn't mean that it hasn't been done. Why not have Woody put up your project under the appropriate section on the homepage here. I'd be interested to follow along, as a future conversion of my 92 is always a possibility.

-H-

I sure will, my only problem is I do not seem to have the time to update a ongoing job as this. Most of my time is spent working at least 12 hrs a day.
We will do our best to take phots and update you as the project comes along.

Ever have one of those days were your wish there were two of you and the day was longer? My own anser to this question is, you must be self employed.

Thanks
Rob

Rob:

It may make sense to post this on the 80's international list - wider audience and more diesels (although probably not too many conversions)

Cheers, Hugh

Great idea, I will give it a shot.

Thanks

Spikerman, why don't you just import a vx turbo diesel from Germany or somewhere else in europe? why not get the manual tranny and everything else...

Reason why is the customer is a lady who wants it for the plain reason of getting better fuel economey and longer engine life. The engine we have has very low miles and should provide a good service life. She drive s the truck 60 Miles each day with her kids in it.

We will be pulling the bottom end apart and changing the big end bearings out before installation.

Rob

rob-

an 80 series with a 1HD-T will get no where close to 30 mpg (US gallons). I have a very, very close freind who has a 1HD-T in a 1987 J60 with 140,000 kms of use and has not had it above 23 mpg (I have driven in this truck over 1,500 miles on a single trip). I have also seen one of the "pro" HDJ80 conversions in person (as well as 3 12H-T's in J60's). The 80 weighing more than a 60 might get 22 with a lean pump. It still is a ton of gasoline to recover the costs of the conversion.

rick d
frm owner 1HD-T (93K) and 1HZ (30K)

I am kind of surprised as one fellow told me he was getting around 26 MPG.
I have seen many 3Bs getting 28MPG, thought maybe being a new engine and more efficient engine these numbers may hold true.
Lets see if its any better on Bio diesel as that is thier primarey source of fuel.

Rob

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom