1HD-FTE short block in 1HD-FT? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello,

Theoretical question here... if one were to rebuild an FT, is it possible to use a complete OEM FTE short block for a rebuild? Pricing for the FTE short block is substantially cheaper from some suppliers.

My understanding is that the overall layout of the block is the same, aside from different pistons and crank with SLIGHTLY higher compression ratio.

Thanks!

Yep, if you order a new sub-assembly from Toyota now, you can only get the FTE block as the others are obsolete ... my 1997 1HD-T has a 1HD-FTE block.

Yep, if you order a new sub-assembly from Toyota now, you can only get the FTE block as the others are obsolete ... my 1997 1HD-T has a 1HD-FTE block.

Very interesting, do you know which part number you used for your 1HD-T? I was looking at 11400-17110 for an FT rebuild.

Very interesting, do you know which part number you used for your 1HD-T? I was looking at 11400-17110 for an FT rebuild.

My 1HD-T already had the FTE block when we rebuilt it and I do not have the complete history of the motor etc

11400-17071 is discontinued but my Toyota parts guy just found a 11400-17110 gathering dust in the JHB parts depo !

Last edited:
My 1HD-T already had the FTE block when we rebuilt it and I do not have the complete history of the motor etc

11400-17071 is discontinued but my Toyota parts guy just found a 11400-17110 gathering dust in the JHB parts depo !

I heard on another forum that the FTE block has a hole for the crank position sensor. Did you just plug that on your 1HD-T?

I heard on another forum that the FTE block has a hole for the crank position sensor. Did you just plug that on your 1HD-T?
Mine had a blanking plate of sorts that was leaking - Toyota could not find me a blanking plate so I bought a sensor and plugged the hole with that !

Mine had a blanking plate of sorts that was leaking - Toyota could not find me a blanking plate so I bought a sensor and plugged the hole with that !

Funny, I was thinking the same thing about just buying a sensor.

Do you have pics of the rebuild with the FTE block on your 1HD-T?

Funny, I was thinking the same thing about just buying a sensor.

Do you have pics of the rebuild with the FTE block on your 1HD-T?

It is in here ....

By short block do you mean pistons installed and no head? Sure will work, and better - pistons and rods were upgraded. Pity it doesn’t come with head as the fte head and later fte (02 onwards) had better valves. Obviously fte pistons won’t work with 1hdt head...
1hz block is the same minus tapped hole for turbo drain and crank position sensor hole, same as crank. There’s nothing complex about swapping all 1h* blocks about, they’re effectively the same

By short block do you mean pistons installed and no head? Sure will work, and better - pistons and rods were upgraded. Pity it doesn’t come with head as the fte head and later fte (02 onwards) had better valves. Obviously fte pistons won’t work with 1hdt head...
1hz block is the same minus tapped hole for turbo drain and crank position sensor hole, same as crank. There’s nothing complex about swapping all 1h* blocks about, they’re effectively the same

yes, I’m talking about the block with pistons and crank installed without head. I’m wondering if I can use a complete outfitted FTE block with FTE pistons with an FT head and valves.

Absolutely. Only difference is improved piston and rod design and slightly higher compression (won’t need to change anything)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom