1HD-FTE: Limp mode, check engine, error 19(4) - help please (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

@wedgetail Can you help us shed some light on this for @Ir25? You had some engine codes in another post that were helpful.

Thank you.

Ross

I’d probably start with a good contact cleaning of all plugs and checking they’re seated. If that doesn’t work spraying contact cleaner right in the main pot and work it in. If it still doesn’t work some people have had luck pulling the pot apart, cleaning and reassembling

Our HDJ100R 2005 was having the same problem. Same limp mode (in my case always on idle) and code 19. Different workshops were coming with different theories. When eventually I was told that I need to replace injector pump I bit the bullet and presented to Chatswood Toyota. They are expensive, but they do not do BS and after their fix the problem is GONE!

I understand that Toyota Land Crusers are all different and in my case that resistor is attached to gas pedal.
They replaced the entire thing, pedal included. I asked them to give me original part back. Just for the part I had to shell off $1200 or $1300 (don't remember exactly).

Post the event I think I could rather open that resistor (I believe it is a resistor) and clean the contacts, but now it's late.
On a positive side, after a few months that anticipation of my car stalling at the most inconvenient (or plain vulnerable) moment is now gone, what a joy!

Anyone has suggestion what I do to this part now?

Pedal.JPG

Resistor.JPG

Anyone here had 19(2) fault code & limp mode? Restarting the car doesn't fix it, but clearing the code from the ECU does (for who knows how long?)

1609167841641.png

Hi..we have same problem yesterday and was electric motor tps in throttle body..we fit a corolla one....and everything working perfect

Hi!

I had few times DTC 19(2). There is small on-off switch on the gas pedal assembly,cleaned that one. Also one wire was almost broken in the engine, throttle body. Fixed that with new abiko(small 2,8 mm) connectors. Now Land Cruiser starts really easy, better than ever! But...still not happy with acceleration so planning to open and clean the Position Sensor. Anyone had luck with cleaning? Or do I have to buy new one anyway?

IMG-20210528-WA0007.jpeg

20210528_174306.jpg

20210529_094219.jpg

20210529_113005.jpg

Hi!

I had few times DTC 19(2). There is small on-off switch on the gas pedal assembly,cleaned that one. Also one wire was almost broken in the engine, throttle body. Fixed that with new abiko(small 2,8 mm) connectors. Now Land Cruiser starts really easy, better than ever! But...still not happy with acceleration so planning to open and clean the Position Sensor. Anyone had luck with cleaning? Or do I have to buy new one anyway?

View attachment 2688652

View attachment 2688653

View attachment 2688654

View attachment 2688655
Have you a ntdd chip on it or any power chip?

Hi..we have same problem yesterday and was electric motor tps in throttle body..we fit a corolla one....and everything working perfect
Would you be so kind as to list the Corolla part number here for us?

From the link above Francis:

I have had what sounds like the same problem on my 100 series diesel. I have had it twice and I know at least one other who I met at West Wyalong who had had the same.

The problem is a wire associated with the throttle. I can send a picture of it in the morning if you are interested. It gets hot from being near the manifold and then gets brittle and then breaks. It is very easy to fix if you know what you are looking for.

The first time it happened to me was at Coonabarabran and was intermittent for a while. We got to West Wyalong after a fashion. The Toyota dealer at WW was very helpful and soldered it together in no time. It subsequently happened again and this time I replaced the wire....not a big issue.

The engine goes into "limp mode" and the service light comes on. The engine runs smoothly but is totally gutless. Apparently this is to protect the engine but doesn't help much when towing.

Anyway, if you need more help I can send a pic.
Pacmac

AND

Hi all, just a quick note to let you all know the problem is solved. It indeed was a broken wire inside the throttle air control motor wiring plug. the broken wire was found, a new piece soldered on to the pin and reassembled back into the plug and she should all be good now. We had done quite a lot of corrugated roads this trip as well as most trips we go on we wind up on the dirt. We have been to Birdsville and Innaminka numerous times in this vehicle so I guess the corrogations caught up with us. thank you for the replies.
cheers Mark

Sounds to me like these two fellas got it sorted out. Try what they did to fix and see if you have broken or damaged wires and go from there.

Hope this helps.

Ross-
hello, My LC 98 model diesel version is also showing this same issue and its been going on for almost a year now. we have narrowed it down to the 19(4) accel closed circuit open error code. Could you please help in getting this issue sorted out. Thanks

I just had exactly the same problem, I’ve had intermittent limp mode with the accelerator open switch fault 19(4) for a while now and had tried just about everything.

I just checked this connector and noticed the broken wire… Soldered it back up and put some heat shrink over it. Good as new!

See the white heat shrink for a reference as the wire that had broken.

CE584425-1626-4449-8F00-444E1401268E.jpeg

E8E81532-BD70-471D-A922-B665FBCA9D08.jpeg

New guy in the house fro West Wales

gonna revive this post in the hope it will help others

recent new to me j100 4.2 bought with limp mode error only happens when you ease off for a junction etc etc
pulls well and happy with it apart from this
just ordered a new pedal will also be going through all the wires and plugs whilst im at it

Post what you find out here, thank you in advance and welcome!!!

Thanks Workhorse
this is what ive just bought
I priced same part from my local Main dealer and worked out £982.02
my error code is attached

WhatsApp Image 2021-12-04 at 16.24.05.jpeg

Wow, that’s commitment Nobby - I hope that’s your problem! Out of interest, did you disassemble, clean and relube the switches?

So changed the peddle and found that 1 of the plugs was all green with corrosion inside, so all cleaned up and now back on the road
the hard part is now waiting with fingers crossed that it is cured, this might take a while as it didn't happen every time it was used but will monitor and let you all know, but it will be hard to work out was it the peddle or the connectors i will never know either way all i want is for it to be error free

So you examined the pedal assembly and cleaned up the wires at the connection? Glad you found a possible cure. Keep us posted.

So you examined the pedal assembly and cleaned up the wires at the connection? Glad you found a possible cure. Keep us posted.
as my hands aint the best and its not the easiest of jobs to get the top bolt on i ordered a replacement so changed it anyway but also cleaned up the plugs and connectors

just come back from another test run and its going well

i would even go as far as to say its got a cleaner pick up but that could just be me imagining it or wanting it lol..........

i will strip the pedal and try check the sensors and clean the up and try test it

I have the same problem and fault code only occurs at low speed little throttle and always will sort itself out after restarting the engine
I see a lot of you didn't go to the expense of changing the throttle pedal and sensor just checked the connecting wires etc. Could someone send me a picture of where to find the wires and connections so I could check mine out and save a few quid. Any idea how much a new pedal assembly would cost? Is there a after market product or would it have to be a genuine Toyota part ? Oh and the part number ?
Thanks for all your help

20221105_110554.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom