1HD-FTE: Limp mode, check engine, error 19(4) - help please (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
HI there,

While driving I see the check engine then the Land Cruiser goes to limp mode. Solution is to turn engine off for 1 minute then it's OK again.

I read in forums that some cleaned the accelerator position sensor so I opened up mine and cleaned the contacts but still have same problem.

Also some changed the coolant temperature sensor which is a far from the error code. I already ordered this and just waiting to install. If it still gives me problems I am planning to order the part that I clean which is the Accelerator Position sensor with the pedal just to make sure.

http://toyotapartscatalog.com/parts/toyota-7801060020/

I hope this will solve my problem.

If this does not work, any other ideas how to solve this? I don't want to change my ECU :)

Thank you!

LC100 error.jpg

LC clean.jpg

I changed the Coolant temperature sensor but I still have the same problem. Happens about twice daily and a simple OFF/ON Engine will do the trick. But it's really annoying to do this.

Any other tips? I tried almost everything.

Thank you,

Francis

From the link above Francis:

I have had what sounds like the same problem on my 100 series diesel. I have had it twice and I know at least one other who I met at West Wyalong who had had the same.

The problem is a wire associated with the throttle. I can send a picture of it in the morning if you are interested. It gets hot from being near the manifold and then gets brittle and then breaks. It is very easy to fix if you know what you are looking for.

The first time it happened to me was at Coonabarabran and was intermittent for a while. We got to West Wyalong after a fashion. The Toyota dealer at WW was very helpful and soldered it together in no time. It subsequently happened again and this time I replaced the wire....not a big issue.

The engine goes into "limp mode" and the service light comes on. The engine runs smoothly but is totally gutless. Apparently this is to protect the engine but doesn't help much when towing.

Anyway, if you need more help I can send a pic.
Pacmac

AND

Hi all, just a quick note to let you all know the problem is solved. It indeed was a broken wire inside the throttle air control motor wiring plug. the broken wire was found, a new piece soldered on to the pin and reassembled back into the plug and she should all be good now. We had done quite a lot of corrugated roads this trip as well as most trips we go on we wind up on the dirt. We have been to Birdsville and Innaminka numerous times in this vehicle so I guess the corrogations caught up with us. thank you for the replies.
cheers Mark

Sounds to me like these two fellas got it sorted out. Try what they did to fix and see if you have broken or damaged wires and go from there.

Hope this helps.

Ross-

Here is the photo from the link provided by OzCruiser:

View image: Throttle Body

Here is the thread link from OzCruiser. Reading through it will give you a better idea of which wires may be the culprit. It sounds like the photographed wires are the ones of which they are speaking. At least that is what I thought.

Toyota 100 series warning light - Caravaners Forum

Hope this helps!

Ross-

Got a reply and it does not seem to appy to 2002 models.

hi francis, the 2002 model has a mechanical operated throttle control valve, not an electric one so it wont be the same problem. cheers mark

hi sorry to resurrect this thread - but having the same issue in a 2002 LC 100... the last post says that it may not be the wire .. but I get a p1123 and intermittent limp mode... fixes itself by turning off and on ... sometimes have to do it more than once

any help would be much appreciated guys :)

hi sorry to resurrect this thread - but having the same issue in a 2002 LC 100... the last post says that it may not be the wire .. but I get a p1123 and intermittent limp mode... fixes itself by turning off and on ... sometimes have to do it more than once

any help would be much appreciated guys :)
Also - can't find a pic of the famous wire or plug so if anyone has it would be very grateful to have a look at it too !

Got a reply and it does not seem to appy to 2002 models.

hi francis, the 2002 model has a mechanical operated throttle control valve, not an electric one so it wont be the same problem. cheers mark
Hi Hobie, what did you end up doing for your 2002 model ?

1575160588860.png

Sash,

Check the ground (earth) on your Spill Valve. The boys over on LCOOL seem to have this as an issue. If there is poor earth it doesn't function properly. Hope this helps.

Ross

Thanks Ross,

will get my auto sparky on to it tomorrow and let you know how I get on - fingers crossed

kind regards
Sashi

Sash,

Check the ground (earth) on your Spill Valve. The boys over on LCOOL seem to have this as an issue. If there is poor earth it doesn't function properly. Hope this helps.

Ross

HI again Ross,

I think I have a slightly different setup but im assuming that the trouble normally is with the plug in the foreground (bluish colour in my picture )

thanks in advance :)

kind regards
sashi

IMG_3592.jpeg

Your truck appears to be a NonEGR (exhaust gas re-circulation) model. Being that you're from Fiji, it is probably non-EGR. This might change where things are located as the photo I posted is from Australia that has EGR fitted to its HDJ100's. The plug is either the blue one or the gray one next to the intake heater (little gray rubber bubble looking thing).

I'll see if I can find a good photo of the driver spill valve so you know where that is located.

Your truck appears to be a NonEGR (exhaust gas re-circulation) model. Being that you're from Fiji, it is probably non-EGR. This might change where things are located as the photo I posted is from Australia that has EGR fitted to its HDJ100's. The plug is either the blue one or the gray one next to the intake heater (little gray rubber bubble looking thing).

I'll see if I can find a good photo of the driver spill valve so you know where that is located.

Mate I need to buy you a beer !

all sorted now - happened to be a dodgy contact and everything did with a good clean also:)

if you’re even in Fiji please let me know :)

thank you so very much

Sash, glad to help and I hope this fixes it for you. Keep us posted.

Are you in Nadi or on another island? Went to Beachcomber Island in 2001 as well as Nadi. Great place to visit and had a lot of fun.

Bula!

Sash, glad to help and I hope this fixes it for you. Keep us posted.

Are you in Nadi or on another island? Went to Beachcomber Island in 2001 as well as Nadi. Great place to visit and had a lot of fun.

Bula!

Bula !

2001 ? that’s ages ago mate you’re due for another trip I reckon

yeah based in suva

have a great weekend :) and thanks again for your help

Here is the photo from the link provided by OzCruiser:

View image: Throttle B

Here is the thread link from OzCruiser. Reading through it will give you a better idea of which wires may be the culprit. It sounds like the photographed wires are the ones of which they are speaking. At least that is what I thought.

Toyota 100 series warning light - Caravaners Forum

Hope this helps!

Ross-
From the link above Francis:

I have had what sounds like the same problem on my 100 series diesel. I have had it twice and I know at least one other who I met at West Wyalong who had had the same.

The problem is a wire associated with the throttle. I can send a picture of it in the morning if you are interested. It gets hot from being near the manifold and then gets brittle and then breaks. It is very easy to fix if you know what you are looking for.

The first time it happened to me was at Coonabarabran and was intermittent for a while. We got to West Wyalong after a fashion. The Toyota dealer at WW was very helpful and soldered it together in no time. It subsequently happened again and this time I replaced the wire....not a big issue.

The engine goes into "limp mode" and the service light comes on. The engine runs smoothly but is totally gutless. Apparently this is to protect the engine but doesn't help much when towing.

Anyway, if you need more help I can send a pic.
Pacmac

AND

Hi all, just a quick note to let you all know the problem is solved. It indeed was a broken wire inside the throttle air control motor wiring plug. the broken wire was found, a new piece soldered on to the pin and reassembled back into the plug and she should all be good now. We had done quite a lot of corrugated roads this trip as well as most trips we go on we wind up on the dirt. We have been to Birdsville and Innaminka numerous times in this vehicle so I guess the corrogations caught up with us. thank you for the replies.
cheers Mark

Sounds to me like these two fellas got it sorted out. Try what they did to fix and see if you have broken or damaged wires and go from there.

Hope this helps.

Ross-
Hi Ross
i'm having the same problem on my vehicle.The engine warning lights up on the dashboard as soon as i press the accelerator. i've got all my wires checked as recommended as per the technician but when did the diagnostics it displays P1122 fault. If you had already taken a picture of the wire you saying, can you please send a picture ? thank you
regards Irfaan

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom