1hd-fte conversion in process (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Scored running 1hd-fte from 2000 HDJ100 here in Europe, the price is 3500 USD, so far I have taken the following:

• Engine itself
  • 4 speed auto with transfer case
  • Spill valve control
  • ECU and ECT for auto
  • Engine harness
  • Under bonnet harness
  • Dash harness
  • Pedal
Already ordered:
  • 1HD-FT (or 1HD-T , 1HZ) sump and pickup
  • 1HZ engine mounts
  • diesel pickup from the 1HD-FTE
  • filling neck from 1HD-FT
  • diesel pipes from the tanks from 1HD-FT
Conversion will be done by me, I never did anything like this but hope to have it finished in couple months. The biggest issue will be the electrics, I am already in contact and agreed with Aussies to have the loom spliced so will be sending the engine + dash loom from 1HD-FTE together with 1FZ engine loom and I should get almost plug and play loom from him. Cost being around 1000 AUS.

Sure I will be ordering turbo from gturbo, intercooler from PDI and other bits and pieces.

Good is that this conversion is very well documented by the Australian boys and is very common in that part of the world. I expect doing this work on the engine:
  • set the valves
  • block EGR and clean the intake
  • put all new hoses for both radiator and turbo
  • new timing belt and water pump
  • rear main seal

Check that you don't also need the ignition key and mechanicals and electronics from the steering column. On some models you need this for the anti theft system which works via the electronic key.

Good luck, sounds like a great buy and a nice project.
I am looking for the same setup only without the E.

G

Check that you don't also need the ignition key and mechanicals and electronics from the steering column. On some models you need this for the anti theft system which works via the electronic key.

Good luck, sounds like a great buy and a nice project.
I am looking for the same setup only without the E.

G
Hi,

you are right, the immobilizer and the matching key and ign barrel is needed, Jonathan from Australia also knows how to delete the immobilizer from the ECU but I will not be sending the ECU there.

What country are you in Jorgito? And what model is it going in? Sounds like you’ve got a pretty good handle on things, but it seems fte conversions are fairly uncommon outside of Australia? As you’ve found though there’s a fair bit of support here.

Here’s my build of an fte into an fzj105 FZJ105 -> HDJ105

What country are you in Jorgito? And what model is it going in? Sounds like you’ve got a pretty good handle on things, but it seems fte conversions are fairly uncommon outside of Australia? As you’ve found though there’s a fair bit of support here.

Here’s my build of an fte into an fzj105 FZJ105 -> HDJ105
Hi,

I am based in the Czech Republic, and yes there is none 1HD-FTE converted 80 over here. The engine is going into 1997 FZJ80 Land Cruiser, I have read about your conversion multiple times on here and on LCOOL and find it very usefull. There is also a very good Facebook group called 1HDFTE conversions ( 1HDFTE conversions ) and a lot of people with good knowledge is in that group also.

The 1HD-FTE engine is out and I shall start working on it from the next week, still did not take the 1FZ-FE which is also happening next week. Then I am sending the dash, engine loom and under bonnet loom ( from 1HD-FTE) and engine loom ( from 1FZ-FE ) to thrashlux from LCOOL.

Cool sounds like a good swap. Don’t know much about 80 series but if they’re anything like 105s (which they probably are) the rad is the same between fzj80 and hzj80/hdj80. In which case you can use your rad but need an hzj/hdj80 fan shroud

Engine from the car is out, the loom was sent to Australia. The not very good news in regards to the injector pump, the spill valve needs change and timing valve also. Tried to look into where to source these DENSO parts but did not succeed:
098304-0010 - OVER-HAUL ASSY, W/
096360-0580 - VALVE ASSY, TIMING (TCV)
098300-0132 - VALVE ASSY, INJECT (SPV)
098400-0014 - HEAD SUB-ASSY, DIS

Where you guys source these Denso parts? @Akella and others ?

Damn, that’s major. The valves you could possibly get and install through a denso dealer but the head is a killer. You’re up for a full rebuild - who is doing the pump? If it’s here the pump shop would be getting all those parts and more without a drama. They’re all standard available denso parts. You could also look around (trawl the Aussie classifieds) for another pump

just in case you're interested... Nothing to do with me btw
CdtuIlxl.png

iSN5Qnml.png

A bit of update, I was waiting for the fundings, bought a new pump in Australia but the guy did a very poor job securing the pump, the result is that the speed connector broke, I am still debating if I shall keep it, the new pump from partsouq is 4300 USD. I bought this one for about 3500 AUD.

With secured fundings I purchased the following:

* manta 3'' exhaust ( stainless steel )
* gturbo grunter green wheel + DTE pre tuned module
* PDI intercooler for the 80
* LRA tank ( factory replacement )

I am sorting out the shipping from Australia to Europe at the moment.

A29790B1-B648-4316-8FFF-C2D0F483014B.jpeg

Turbo bolted , new injection pump also

The loom came from Australia, it's labeled pretty extensively and the guy doing the loom is just a treasure to work with

87B557A4-418C-48B1-8E6E-0A54AAEAC79F.jpeg

26D2D7AA-A8BD-4BBE-BFEA-47F40387D2DD.jpeg

Also having to clean the hdj fuel lines, unfortunately the isolation in the brackets is broken and will be 3d printing them tomorrow as it's not possible to order them. I wasn't sure if the lines are the right ones, obviously, the HDJ80 came with two different sizes of the lines one 10mm and 12mm. This one pictured is 12mm OD while the Aussies on the 1hdfte conversion facebook page mention that the line actually needs to be 12mm ID. I think that I will stick to this one 12mm OD as it's not easy to get one and to make a custom one seems a lot of effort. Regarding the 140l LRA tank it came pretty well packed and I am now modifying the diesel pickup as the pickup tube and float arm needs to be extended. I have one rusty fuel tank inlet and i am still not sure if I should work on that or just buy a new one from partsouq.

A1955BED-DE9A-4772-8E47-1602B817A977.jpeg

Last edited:
So I had my friend create the holders for the fuel lines as they are not available from Toyota anymore. Also I will be reusing the fuel line from the 1fz as return. The engine is basically prepared to be dropped in.

1AD2232D-C8F8-4B5A-855E-BE81DE1A5DEC.jpeg

87A51D72-4588-4E1B-8185-7992B5B88F7D.jpeg

Subscribed!

Engines in, I only have issue with the shifter of the transfer caee, it is actually hitting the right side of the shifter hole

B7EF5A3F-14AE-4343-9C98-A6E5AB226410.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom