1FZE dieseling? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

tucker74

Threads
Yesterday afternoon I had to pull our boat in to town with my FZJ and experienced some weird behavior once I parked the trailer and tried to restart the truck. The truck started very rough and I had to give it gas to keep it running, then dieseled for +/- 30 seconds when I turned the ignition off. This was not the starter engaging, as it ran for more than a minute and would run normally when revved over 1k. I've also had the starter hang before and know what that sounds like and how it behaves.

Their seemed to be a strange "hissing" sound coming from the area around the charcoal canister, which makes me think something emissions related? The engine was taxed pretty hard towing a 3700 lbs. boat (tandem trailer w/ brakes) 40-50 miles in 100+ F, but started and ran normally this morning.

Anyone ever experienced this before?

Tucker

Just curious...do you have the Raven Tai temp gauge mod? Any idea what temps you were running? If your gauge is stock, did it move?

Did you let the engine idle a while after the pull, but prior to shutting down? How long was it shut down before you started it again?

I wondered if you had some minor vapor lock going on...but I don't think that would explain the dieseling.....

Vac leak?

High heat ate the vac line. Makes it whistle (leak). No vac = rough engine.

Maybe?

tarbe said:
Just curious...do you have the Raven Tai temp gauge mod? Any idea what temps you were running? If your gauge is stock, did it move?

Did you let the engine idle a while after the pull, but prior to shutting down? How long was it shut down before you started it again?

I wondered if you had some minor vapor lock going on...but I don't think that would explain the dieseling.....
I'm running the stock gauge, never moved from its normal position just below neutral. The truck was shut off for just a minute or two, only long enough to get out and jack the trailer tongue off the hitch. I didn't let it idle when I arrived - I was thinking vapor lock too ... but the dieseling?

Tucker

When fuel is boiled, like any liquid the result is an immediate increase in volume.

Could it be your fuel line boiled, the pressure from this forced fuel into the intake manifold, then you started it and of course it's running rough so you had to open the throttle to add enough air for the engine to burn the rich mixture. Then you shut it down quickly out of concern and there was still fuel in the intake manifold that the engine was ingesting and igniting due to the usual reason a gas engine diesels - a hot engine component in the cylinder (usually valves or spark plug).

That's my opinion and you definitely should idle an engine that's been worked like that as the cylinder temps were being handled by the flow of oil and coolant until you shut it off super hot like that. Then the heat is not being moved away and you saw the result. I suggest you change your engine oil as some of it has likely been cooked unless it was synthetic. Also, a perfunctory cooling system check is in order as you also likely boiled coolant out.

DougM

Thanks Doug - cooling system totally overhauled 10k ago with new OEM rad, thermostat, PHH and flush ... then Toyota Red of course. I'm running M1, but it's about time for an oil change anyway. I'll let it idle for a while next time ;)

Tucker

I'm going to try to help by putting an pretty interesting twist to this ...

A while ago I went to start my cruiser from cold (I only mention this to rule out the boiling gas business). As soon as I turned the key to the on position I realized I did not turn the thing on fully (you know how as soon as you pass a football you can feel if it is right or wrong?) well, the engine turned over but did not start so as anyone would do I automatically autorotated the key to the off position to turn off the engine but instead it started "dieseling". What was actually happening is that the starter contacts were worn and the starter was still on however instead of the typical time when the starter is on and the engine is also still on, in this situation the starter was on but the engine was off and the key was already turned to the off position. I promptly replaced my contacts and since then no worry with it. Is there any chance the same things happening here? Like I wrote, it really seemed like dieseling. Thank the good lord that the first time the starter failed was the time that I actually turned the key on wrong and then immediately turned the thing off! Hope this helps (HTH) :cheers:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom