1FZ head loaner program -- for quick head gasket swap (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

2fpower

SILVER Star
Threads
Here is the deal. I want to start a method for local members to be able to do a head gasket swap in a single weekend, without having to wait for the machine shop to do the work. Locally in KC, there is a great place to do headwork, Nolands with a week or two depending on their workload. Issue is they want $400-$500 to do the work. In Columbia, there is a I-70 machine shop that does it for $190-$250; however, it takes 3 or 4 weeks to get it done.

Either way, you are not on the road, while your car is in pieces.

Again, my goal here is not to make money, just to provide to our members a benefit.

I just got back my head from the shop, so this program can start as of 12/16/15.

Here are the basics......

First off, this is only for members in TLCA and TAC in good standing. I will call Peggy to confirm. Second, there is a deposit of $500 that I will hold until I get the newly machined head back in my shop.

Step one, you would take the machined head from me to have for your weekend of fun!

After you do the swap, the head from your rig would go to either Nolands or I-70 shop in Columbia and get done. You are responsible for the cost to get it done to the proper condition. Required to get pressure tested and depending on your head, it may need to get decked. If there are cracks or issues such the head is not rebuildable, you would have to come up with one that is good to replace it, so the next person can use it. Think about it.... if you did not have my replacement head, this is what you would have to do anyway!!!

Sammy and Rob have volunteered to be the transportation to Columbia (I recommend a bottle of something for thank you).

End of the day, no-one should be out any more money than they would have been if they did not use the "trade-in" head.

Having said that, if you want to give me a donation for this service, it will 100% go to the raffle prizes for our annual events.

I would imagine the head itself is the same for 1fz from 93-97? Just OBD differences? Not to muddle up the thread, but I could see myself using this service at some point (knock on wood).

Good point. It came from a 97'. I am thinking it would be 95-97 specific -- I think that I recall a thread where @beno said so.

Kelly

You fancy OBDII guys!!

Ya know, I've always shied away from car clubs over the years as I typically liked to live in anonymity with my projects...let's face it, they're typically populated by a bunch of big ole harry egos. Let me say, u guys have really put together a fine group of aficionados that I can say I'm really proud to be a part of.

This Head Exchange program is just one more example that exemplifies what an organized club should really be about.

Ya know, I've always shied away from car clubs over the years as I typically liked to live in anonymity with my projects...let's face it, they're typically populated by a bunch of big ole harry egos. Let me say, u guys have really put together a fine group of aficionados that I can say I'm really proud to be a part of.

This Head Exchange program is just one more example that exemplifies what an organized club should really be about.
Once I was corrected when we did the twin heads project that this is not a car club but a family.

Alright, everybody pick up your purse and get back to work! :D

Also, should point out for those that like to add horsepower by powdercoating the valve cover, but don't want to have your rig down for a week, I will add the valve cover swap out to this deal.

Take this one I have loose, and get it all Purdy, then swap for yours.

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1450445794.221047.jpg

Pressure tested, checked for flatness (did not need redecked) all valves adjusted, and new parts installed out of the grind kit.

He does not clean the heads, as you can see. He does not recommend cleaning, although the detail freak in me would spend a few hours cleaning at least the outside. I understand the argument that if you clean part of the working area, you can loosen material that then causes issues later.

Yes new valve stem seals, no grinding needed to be done. We have a lot of trust in this machine shop so we basically take it in and tell them to do whatever needs to get done

Had the first taker today on the valve cover trade-in
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1452226566.057071.jpg

yes

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1452279979.021379.jpg

Finished product. Thanks Kelly!

Kelly, IYHO do you prefer one shop over the other for the head work (Nolands vs. I-70) or are they comparable?

Speed vs $$$.

both come highly recommended.

The purpose of this loaner program is to be able to have speed and save money.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom