1fz-fe 80 series (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

is the pop pop pop in the exhaust at idle and felt like a pulse when you put your hand near the tailpipe? An incorrectly adjusted exhaust valve or burnt exhaust valve can exhibit similar symptoms as well as unmetered air between the MAF & throttle body.

with #5 plug try swapping another lead to it and see if the issue remains or follows the lead when its used in say #4
if it remains at #5 then check the plug & re verify timing as mentioned above - set to 3deg bdtc?

Last edited:
is the pop pop pop in the exhaust at idle and felt like a pulse when you put your hand near the tailpipe? An incorrectly adjusted exhaust valve or burnt exhaust valve can exhibit similar symptoms as well as unmetered air between the MAF & throttle body.

with #5 plug try swapping another lead to it and see if the issue remains or follows the lead when its used in say #4
if it remains at #5 then check the plug & re verify timing as mentioned above - set to 3deg bdtc?
So upon filling the gas tank up I've come to it runs perfect, it's a petrol issue and also has a tick noise which picks up with revs, so I'm assuming lifters?

Have you downloaded an FSM? If not, go to the resources tab on this forum and find yourself a digital copy of it. You can find the following list of DTC in there.

Last edited:
Compression test was decent, when I remove lead 5 I can hear spark but no changes, if that makes sense? Every other cylinder will begin to miss when I remove lead except 5. Car is 1994 1fz-fe
If that's a definite difference, starting looking at everything related to cylinder 5

Try using a different plug lead.
Check the condition of the spark plug. Post a pic of the tip of the plug
Try a new spark plug
Check the injector no.5 is getting a signal, or use a stethoscope to listen to the injector

So upon filling the gas tank up I've come to it runs perfect, it's a petrol issue and also has a tick noise which picks up with revs, so I'm assuming lifters?

hmmm, if it runs perfect on LPG and then on petrol has the pop pop issue could be a valve issue.
The way LPG combusts can hide issues with valves in that it runs perfectly smooth on lpg but not so on petrol

Id be having a really good look for vacuum leaks as well.

is it injected LPG or vapour?
can you post pics of the engine setup

So I'm back to a similar same issue with my car, only now it's seems to idle perfectly but has no guts when accelerating, just replaced dizzy Cap and made it run slightly better but not by much, has more power on petrol now as well but still has the slightest misfire causing it to have lack of acceleration, any suggestions?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom