1fz-fe 80 series (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm having some weird issues with my 4wd, first off I'll start by saying, when I first brought her, no compression in cylinder 5 at all, 0 psi, after replacing head gasket I finally had compression but now car still misfires, I could've sworn I re did timing correctly, I've replaced sparks, leads, checked dizzy and she was good, all new injector seals, still feels sluggish when driving, when accelerating car feels like it's shaking, can feel it through the pedals, any advice would be much appreciated, thank you

I'm having some weird issues with my 4wd, first off I'll start by saying, when I first brought her, no compression in cylinder 5 at all, 0 psi, after replacing head gasket I finally had compression but now car still misfires, I could've sworn I re did timing correctly, I've replaced sparks, leads, checked dizzy and she was good, all new injector seals, still feels sluggish when driving, when accelerating car feels like it's shaking, can feel it through the pedals, any advice would be much appreciated, thank you
Did you have the head reworked when you did the HG?

Still lots of possibilities from our standpoint.

Need more info.

Not re worked, I cleaned all surfaces down, made sure everything looked perfect then reinstalled

Not re worked, I cleaned all surfaces down, made sure everything looked perfect then reinstalled
So you don't know for sure if you have a broken valve spring or a valve spring out of spec? Did you do a leak down test to determine if the valves were leaking after the HG replacement?

I'd go back and check the spark plug wires, cap, rotor, and order of wires.

Did you use Toyota wires or something from a FLAPS?

Did you get the distributor back in correctly and tightened down?

If you wiggle the harness on top of the dizzy, does it die or cause weird issues?

Did you check the wiring harness by the EGR when you had the head off? Because you sure yanked on it and did a bunch of movement to a crispy old harness.

So you don't know for sure if you have a broken valve spring or a valve spring out of spec? Did you do a leak down test to determine if the valves were leaking after the HG replacement?

If you wiggle the harness on top of the dizzy, does it die or cause weird issues?

Did you check the wiring harness by the EGR when you had the head off? Because you sure yanked on it and did a bunch of movement to a crispy old harness.
Which one is the egr? Dizzy is set perfect and Cap doesn't look too bad, I was told upon buying it that all leads were brand new oem

Valves looked fine, I had one out from the cylinder that was misfiring and it looked brand new, also to add, there's a new slight ticking sound when running

Which one is the egr? Dizzy is set perfect and Cap doesn't look too bad, I was told upon buying it that all leads were brand new oem
I see now that you're in AUS.

Is your truck OBD1 or OBD2?
What year?
The EGR (if equipped) is on the intake manifold back by the firewall. The wiring harness comes down from the firewall, right next to it, down to the injectors.

Yes, we need pictures and videos.

Never know what the blokes from down under are gonna do!

@mudgudgeon

I see now that you're in AUS.

Is your truck OBD1 or OBD2?
What year?
The EGR (if equipped) is on the intake manifold back by the firewall. The wiring harness comes down from the firewall, right next to it, down to the injectors.

Yes, we need pictures and videos.

Never know what the blokes from down under are gonna do!

@mudgudgeon
Mines obd1, I'll check the the harness for the egr to confirm I haven't forgotten to connect it

And when timing was re done, I tested with timing light which lines up in 0 always

When you check timing, did you open the OBD diagnostic port and put a jumper between the two terminals? (I think TE & E1)
if you don't do this, the ECU will adjust the timing.

Once you have jumpered the two terminals, then set timing. Factory spec is 3⁰, but you can go up to 7-10⁰.
Mine runs good at 10⁰. Others will start to ping at around 6-7⁰.

Other things to check

Plug leads. Disconnect one at a time. If you pull one off, and you get an obvious miss fire, that lead is ok. If you pull a lead and there's no change, today lead or plug is no good.

Injector harness terminals
The plastic clips on the wiring harness that connect to the injectors get brittle and break. The clips can be changed and cost like $9each

Vacuum leaks
Replace all rubber hoses on the engine. Including the PCV grommet and hose on the rocker cover.
Check the main intake hose isn't split, or have tiny cracks in it.
Replace o-ring on the oil cap, and in the dip stick

Compression test.
Verify that the new head gasket is sealed.

Compression test was decent, when I remove lead 5 I can hear spark but no changes, if that makes sense? Every other cylinder will begin to miss when I remove lead except 5. Car is 1994 1fz-fe

Anyways an added sound is like a weird pop pop pop sound from the exhaust
You've got timing off or something is in the wrong place electrically.

Okay, so upon figuring out how to read error codes, I get

4 blinks
2 blinks
1blink

Any idea what this means as haven't found alot online about it

(Edit) I believe it's codes 24 and 41

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom