1F won't restart once warm, carb? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm having trouble finding information regarding my re-starting issue. My 71 FJ40 starts up just fine when cold (solid all winter long, zero problems in winter temps), but this summer (70-80 degrees) I've had trouble with it re-starting once warmed up. Need some troubleshooting advice. Motor turns but won't fire up. Again, it's only when it's 60+ degrees....

Carb rebuild? Is the gas boiling?

Yes I'm a newbie.....at posting.

Welcome aboard mate.
I would start with a compression test to determine the engine condition and then check the auto advance-retard in the distributor. Next on the agenda i guess would be the coil is it mounted on the mud guard (toyota) or bolted to the engine (chev) and getting cooked after shut down.

The hot start procedure for carbureted engines is different than cold starts:

Hold the pedal to the floor but don't pump the pedal.
Make sure the choke knob is all the way in so the choke is completely open.
Crank the engine and when it starts, let up on the pedal.

This is the same procedure for a flooded engine.

if the engine has just recently started to show this, I would discount any vapor-lock type issues.(unless--the float needle valve has a little trash in it, and the higher temps cause fuel expansion into the carb bowl, pushing fuel into the manifold) Or-- Are the engine temps running normally? If a lot hotter than normal(or in the past) then do Oz test of compression to make sure head gasket is ok.
Pin_Head's suggestion should work.- it should work anyway for warm engines--

Thanks for the info y'all, much appreciated! Surprised to hear it isn't an obvious carb issue like I originally thought. The temps are totally normal, nothing out of the ordinary just won't fire once "up to temp" in warm weather. Bummed because it runs awesome when it fires and sounds badass. Would anyone recommend a new valve cover/gaskets? Like I said, it's completely original and has some "goo" around the valve cover.

It could be a carb issue if the fuel bowl empties when you shut it off hot. Check the level in the bowl window after you shut it off and before you start it again to see if it drops.

Thanks for the information y'all. It's cold out now, running like a top.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom